Baker Ranch in Lake Forest / Foothill Ranch

eclipxe said:
Welcome Gatmin! You made a great choice. What tract?

Thanks!  I'll be in Crestline!  Was on the list for quite some time and finally got one.  Really wanted detached with a driveway.  Hard to find for under $1M these days in our neighborhoods!

inv0ke-epipen said:
BR The rowe was sold out on the FEB 10 release I went to. I put a deposit down for the cheapest home, Plan 1 at 638,900 (3bd 2.5bath, 1,400 something sqft). Effective tax rate is 1.0275%, 336 HOA. Next release is in 4-6 weeks, but prices should go up since there is a 5-10k price increase AND lot premium intended for the next release. Obviously wont find out untill day of release for sure though...

I am strongly considering dropping my deposit, I have to drop or sign the contract by the 17th.  Maybe there is a way for me to give you my reservation?

HOA is $336 at the Rowe?  I reserved down the street at Crestline and ours will be around $197.  Is that the difference between attached/unattached?  I always assumed they'd be close to the same for the same amenities.

Must be the attached, since it would cover roof, outside and shared walls, piping, all that stuff.

There are two HOAs, one for the Rowe and one for Baker Ranch as a whole. Combined is 336

Burn That Belly said:
Invoke, why are you considering pulling out again?

Location. Friend group and weekend activities for me are centered in Irvine, then north oc, then LA. Irvine can be a little too sleepy, but at least is close to Costa mesa, newport, santa ana, BR would be pretty isolated.  Also living in irvine for 10 years (minus a two year stint on newport peninsula in college), have gotten spoilt by the roads and food choices nearby.  Move in date for BR is just one month later than would be ideal, lease ends in mid august for me but BR phase is ready for move in September (if not delayed).  Additionally, GF has a commute to irvine company campus near UCI, which looks like an average 45 minute trek in traffic from baker ranch in the morning. In general the distance from the freeway is annoying, toll roads don't count  ;).

Also the advantages of baker ranch, new, 3bdr and side by side garage in price range, aren't a huge deal for me. I don't care about new, resale is great. 2BD is perfect for my current and +5year situation (hopefully).  I think I can live with a tandem garage to fit within my budget, but this is the biggest pro for baker ranch in my mind right now. if anyone has had a bad experience with tandem garage let me know, but coordination with the GF shouldn't be hard. Attached garage needed at a minimum though, because I think EV charging capability is going to be a huge draw in the coming years.

Lastly, I have an offer out for a place in Irvine that looks good, if that gets accepted, then definitely canceling :).

inv0ke-epipen said:
BR The rowe was sold out on the FEB 10 release I went to. I put a deposit down for the cheapest home, Plan 1 at 638,900 (3bd 2.5bath, 1,400 something sqft). Effective tax rate is 1.0275%, 336 HOA. Next release is in 4-6 weeks, but prices should go up since there is a 5-10k price increase AND lot premium intended for the next release. Obviously wont find out untill day of release for sure though...

I am strongly considering dropping my deposit, I have to drop or sign the contract by the 17th.  Maybe there is a way for me to give you my reservation?

Thank you so much for that information! Looks like the cheapest ones at The Rowe still won't make the cut for us, as the base price is much more than the cheapest ones in Rancho MV (their base price is cheaper, but ugh! 2% property tax). We would end up having to finance about the same amount, which we can't qualify for right now because I can't work at the moment (waiting for the work permit). How frustrating because we have over 20% downpayment, but not enough to show a good DTI ratio with just one income. We have more than enough to cover the mortgage while I'm unable to work but of course the lenders need to see proof, and not just money in the bank. We might have to wait it out until I can work and maybe by then there will also be other new construction homes.

Burn That Belly said:
babysprouts said:
How much more of the BR homes are still available, specifically 'The Rowe'? Can someone who's been to their sales office tell us which phase they're on, or are they all sold out? What are the prices?

We have been looking all around the desirable parts of OC and have finally decided to look at BR. The new homes in Rancho MV were somewhat within our budget but the property taxes (2.1%) just totally killed it for us. It has been such a rollercoaster of emotions with this home search - its just a constant yes we'll get it, no we can't, yes we can do it, no we really can't..
Anyways, if someone can kindly let me know that would be wonderful! I am also going to give the sales office a call tomorrow, just thought I can get some information here first from those of you that have looked at BR.

babysprouts, have you considered Irvine? The ultimate masterplanned community.

Of course! I've been one of those stubborn ones that have always just wanted to live in Irvine and rent with TIC. However, with the influx of people/homes in Irvine, it is getting a little too crowded in some parts of Irvine and I am open and welcome to a change of scenery. I am still open to getting something here though if the property tax/HOA comes out to be lower than the new ones in Rancho MV (Esencia). I prefer new construction because I haven't really seen many second hand homes without hideous cupboards/kitchen/layout .. and the ones that look nice is way over budget  :(

Well, I officially cancelled the Rowe reservation. Still working in the area, so will be able to see what I missed out on when its built in September  :p. If anyone is looking at the Plan1, it will be coming back on the market. Hopefully makes someone happy!

Ex irvine resident here. I initially wanted to purchase a home in Irvine but with the budget I was working with I was limited to a 2bd rm. The Rowe was the only thing I could afford (single income with 3 kids). The kids love the community and my neighbors all seem nice. Not a bad place if someone is looking.

inv0ke-epipen said:
Burn That Belly said:

Location. Friend group and weekend activities for me are centered in Irvine, then north oc, then LA. Irvine can be a little too sleepy, but at least is close to Costa mesa, newport, santa ana, BR would be pretty isolated.  Also living in irvine for 10 years (minus a two year stint on newport peninsula in college), have gotten spoilt by the roads and food choices nearby.  Move in date for BR is just one month later than would be ideal, lease ends in mid august for me but BR phase is ready for move in September (if not delayed).  Additionally, GF has a commute to irvine company campus near UCI, which looks like an average 45 minute trek in traffic from baker ranch in the morning. In general the distance from the freeway is annoying, toll roads don't count  ;).

Also the advantages of baker ranch, new, 3bdr and side by side garage in price range, aren't a huge deal for me. I don't care about new, resale is great. 2BD is perfect for my current and +5year situation (hopefully).  I think I can live with a tandem garage to fit within my budget, but this is the biggest pro for baker ranch in my mind right now. if anyone has had a bad experience with tandem garage let me know, but coordination with the GF shouldn't be hard. Attached garage needed at a minimum though, because I think EV charging capability is going to be a huge draw in the coming years.

Lastly, I have an offer out for a place in Irvine that looks good, if that gets accepted, then definitely canceling :).

Isn't this why people choose Irvine? If your life is Irvine-centric or Irvine is better located for you... it's hard to choose other places like BR.

It's not just the price of home, the distance adds up so if you have to pay more or get a smaller home... that's usually worth it to most people just for the location aspect.

If your life rotates more around Lake Forest or South County, then it's a no-brainer to go with BR.

irvinehomeowner said:
inv0ke-epipen said:
Burn That Belly said:

Isn't this why people choose Irvine? If your life is Irvine-centric or Irvine is better located for you... it's hard to choose other places like BR.

It's not just the price of home, the distance adds up so if you have to pay more or get a smaller home... that's usually worth it to most people just for the location aspect.

If your life rotates more around Lake Forest or South County, then it's a no-brainer to go with BR.

BR is pretty much for Foothill Ranch...otherwise the trek from BR to the freeway to get to South County is real.

I remember when Pavilion Park opened everyone said being so close to the jail with an Irvine address was a death nail to the community, now it has a lot of buffers in between like Altair/PS3/PS5/Beacon Park/Cadence Park, I don't think anyone thinks about it much anymore.  I suppose also with thousands of new homes, the odds that the inmate that breaks out will pick yours to conquer are considerably less.

aquabliss said:
I remember when Pavilion Park opened everyone said being so close to the jail with an Irvine address was a death nail to the community, now it has a lot of buffers in between like Altair/PS3/PS5/Beacon Park/Cadence Park, I don't think anyone thinks about it much anymore.  I suppose also with thousands of new homes, the odds that the inmate that breaks out will pick yours to conquer are considerably less.

What if there is an earthquake?

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

or zombies

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

or zombies

Or zombie inmates during an earthquake?!

regardless of those issues, baker ranch seems pretty hot now. the attached courts home is selling at $929k. that's like delano price in eastwood. that particular one might be the model home, but if you look up, there aren't much under $1m range anymore. that with no mello roos is a big winning factor.

Zion said:
regardless of those issues, baker ranch seems pretty hot now. the attached courts home is selling at $929k. that's like delano price in eastwood. that particular one might be the model home, but if you look up, there aren't much under $1m range anymore. that with no mello roos is a big winning factor.

Attached court home for $929k in Baker Ranch is not "a big winning factor".

Back