Baker Ranch in Lake Forest / Foothill Ranch

irvinehomeowner said:
Funny how on the Lake Forest part of the base, you don't have to pay Mello Roos... but on the Irvine side... you pay increasing Mello Roos.

#maxMRs

Free food on the Irvine side though. #worthit

irvinehomeowner said:
So to anyone who is still active on this forum and bought in Baker Ranch, how is it going?

Pros? Cons?

Nothing really new to update...tenant signed a lease extension for another year so pretty happy with that
It's appreciated quite a bit since I bought, looking at around $100k increase, pretty happy overall

I didn't have enough down payment at the time, but wished I bought one at the rowe at the earlier phase releases for a 2nd investment (it was mid 5s for one of the larger plans)...oh well.. saving enough down takes time, maybe a few years down the line when the market isn't so crazy

Hello future neighbors. We are moving down to Baker Ranch and wanted to see if anyone living there had cell phone recommendations. We currently have Verizon but I noticed my reception wasnt great when we were driving around looking at properties. Does AT&T have better reception in Baker Ranch? Thanks!!

ChiKid24 said:
Hello future neighbors. We are moving down to Baker Ranch and wanted to see if anyone living there had cell phone recommendations. We currently have Verizon but I noticed my reception wasnt great when we were driving around looking at properties. Does AT&T have better reception in Baker Ranch? Thanks!!

yes at&t is stronger in Baker Ranch.  I played a lot of pokemon go in my prime years there lag free.
I'm now on tmobile and last time I visited, it was hit or miss there with some places 4g instead of LTE
I would say at&t would probably still be the best though I haven't personally tested it recently. 

@Irvinehomeowner, in the home shouldn't be an issue though my experience with wifi calling has never been perfect. But we'll be out and about in the neighborhood, at parks, pools, walks, etc. Cell reception still very important.

irvinehomeowner said:
So to anyone who is still active on this forum and bought in Baker Ranch, how is it going?

Pros? Cons?

How come no one except SoclosetoIrvine responded?
They just all bailed on TI and started their own?
Or are they not liking it that they don't wanna share anything here?

eddieuclabruin said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
eddieuclabruin said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Pros? Cons?

My wife and I decided against purchasing at Baker Ranch, but judging by the ever-increasing prices at The Rowe and on the resale prices of some of the other Baker Ranch homes, it seems like it's going very well for residents.

What factors stopped you from purchasing in Baker Ranch (just curious)?

At the time we were going through the process, we were obsessing over potential environmental hazards. We found out the home at The Rowe we were going to purchase was built on the old Ordnance Disposal Range from the El Toro base and it freaked us out enough to cancel our deposit.

Oh dang. I thought it was only some of GP area. Where are those disposal areas in BR? I'm sure they are all clean now, but I would have freaked out too.

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Pros? Cons?

How come no one except SoclosetoIrvine responded?
They just all bailed on TI and started their own?
Or are they not liking it that they don't wanna share anything here?

All of the above. (I guess)

...still wondering where Baker Ranch Elementary will be. That?s what happens when developers pay the fees directly to the District. The money doesn?t have to be spent directly on the area that paid for it like MR.

irvinehomeowner said:

Pros? Cons?

We moved in around the middle of June and we love it here.  We came from a two bedroom TIC apartment though.  So nice to have a driveway and small yard for the kids.  Plenty of parks well within walking distance, lot of community events, nice nieghbors and Shea Homes was great to work with. 

The only con is the few extra minutes commute; but it?s nice to be close to the toll road and all the FR shops.

As far as cell service, I have both At & t and TMobile- they both work well out here.  I have Cox Cable (same that I had in irvine) and for some reason, everything works better and it?s cheaper now.  I just transferred service too.  Utility bills are much less than I expected.  What?s everyone paying for So Cal Edison, say in summer months (those without solar)?

zubs said:
Electricity is $225/month.

That's high unless you are charging EVs. We average more like $75 and only go over $100 a few times during the AC months.

I keep an eye on this because solar salesmen ask me all the time what my bill is.

Prime time for solar panels?

zubs said:

Thanks.  I was expecting at least that amount.  July and August during heavy AC usage, we were barely over $100.  My coworkers who mostly live in the IE were saying they pay $300-600 albeit hotter over there.  I was a little worried.

irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

That's high unless you are charging EVs. We average more like $75 and only go over $100 a few times during the AC months.

I keep an eye on this because solar salesmen ask me all the time what my bill is.

Prime time for solar panels?

It was fun telling the solar salesmen my electric bill when living in an apartment was $40!

I have a pool motor that runs 6 hours every day.
Plus I have some lights that turn on at night for 6 hours every night.

I also forgot the 6 wifi cameras surrounding the compound with internet always on.
Actually the wifi cameras are running off of solar, so they don't count.

I need a solar solution.  Should I buy or rent?

I was thinking about gettin solar. I saw someone have solar panels plus the battery storage.

I changed my mind due to the potential slowdown.
My thought process was if I move today would I get dollar for dollar or more for the money spent. (I came to conclusion the answer is no)

zubs said:
I also forgot the 6 wifi cameras surrounding the compound with internet always on.
Actually the wifi cameras are running off of solar, so they don't count.

I need a solar solution.  Should I buy or rent?

Depends. Do you plan to stay at least 5-10 years? :)

#itsallconnected

Back