Backyard Landscape Plans and Recommendations

Irvinecommuter said:
jojoe1104 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
@jojoe1104

My two cents is that you're not going to "win" by having the debate out here in the open.  Despite what you think of the issue, Bones is a regular here and is simply sharing his story about what happens.  I think that most people will understand that everyone has different experiences and tastes especially when it comes to landscaping.

Complaints, justified or not, are part of the game for a business.  I think a business is better off 1) addressing the issue with the customer privately and politely and 2) reflect on what might have gone wrong rather than going on the offensive.  I think what you are doing is somewhat counter productive.  I know that I would now be reluctant to use you.

An extreme example is the lady from Amy's Baking Company on Kitchen Nightmares.  Instead of reflecting on what they could have done better, they just blamed the customers.  A big no no. 

Edit:

Also..you seem to be focused on the time frame issue but that's probably the least of issues listed IMO.

-Couldn't keep commitments. Said he'd be on the job on certain days, but never showed.
-Sometimes hard to get a hold of.
-Randomly showed up in your backyard with new prospective clients w/o asking calling first.
-Very difficult to communicate with. He doesn't speak English very well. One time I told him I couldn't meet him at the house until a certain time, but I get a phone call from him 15 mins later saying that he was at my house. I told him I wasn't going to be home!
-Uses the same orange colored stone veneer at his jobs.
-Got caught charging one homeowner for stone that he ended up cutting in half and using at the house next door. The first homeowner shouldn't have paid for the stone at both houses! They should have split the cost if he was going to reuse. And what was he thinking installing the same stuff next door???
-Got caught by a neighbor not installing rebar unde the concrete as stated in the contract. Shady in my opinion.
-Got caught skipping out on footing underneath his pilasters. Footing is needed to keep the pilaster stable and secure.
-This guy does tons of houses in Irvine, but only because he's super cheap. Anytime you have someone that hits volumes like he does, you sacrifice quality and customer service.

As you advised, I tried to solve this issue thru private messages, but bones and studio wanted on public to debate. That's what they wanted.

Even if it is what they wanted...you as a business should understand that you are not going to win a public debate.  This whole sequence of posts has made me think that you are 1) somewhat petty, 2) tough to deal with, and 3) borderline vindictive.  None of those things are good for your business.  In fact, the exchange has further reinforced bone's and studio's posting about you for me.  There is a right and wrong way to resolve disputes with your customers.  You are choosing the wrong way IMO. 

For example, even if you are going to air this out publicly, you should have done it much more politely and with more tact.  Your first post on this board and this issue was a threat to sue.  That's is a pretty bad way to start.

variable229 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
We are in the same boat.  Contacted Aloha, BAC, Land Reform, and KS...we'll see what happens.

I suggest you don't use Land Reform Construction.  Ken uses his wife's license to do business which is illegal in California.  Violation of California Business and Professions Code Section 7031

Land Reform License Statushttps://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/LicenseDetail.aspx?LicNum=973721

Ken's Revoked Licensehttps://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/LicenseDetail.aspx?LicNum=521455

Thanks a bunch!  I should have check his license earlier.  That is seriously shady...also the stuff that he was charged with in 2002 are definitely bad things.

As an update, we are basically down to BAC with Land Reform and Aloha out.  Never got a call back from Mulraney's.  Still want a couple more bids but running out of time.

I think if joejoe sticks around and becomes a regular, he'll get more business.  However, getting more business isn't the problem is it?  Too booked as it is... The machine is at full capacity.

zubs said:
I think if joejoe sticks around and becomes a regular, he'll get more business.  However, getting more business isn't the problem is it?  Too booked as it is... The machine is at full capacity.

Hi,

Unfortunately I am. So sorry not to accomodate. Out there, many good landscapers are. Thanks.

ps9 said:
@jojoe please type at the end of the messages you quote, tired of reading all shaded messages.

So sorry. I'm in alert with ti forum now and I tried to post with cell phone and it happened. 

Irvinecommuter said:
variable229 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
We are in the same boat.  Contacted Aloha, BAC, Land Reform, and KS...we'll see what happens.

I suggest you don't use Land Reform Construction.  Ken uses his wife's license to do business which is illegal in California.  Violation of California Business and Professions Code Section 7031

Land Reform License Statushttps://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/LicenseDetail.aspx?LicNum=973721

Ken's Revoked Licensehttps://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/LicenseDetail.aspx?LicNum=521455

Thanks a bunch!  I should have check his license earlier.  That is seriously shady...also the stuff that he was charged with in 2002 are definitely bad things.

As an update, we are basically down to BAC with Land Reform and Aloha out.  Never got a call back from Mulraney's.  Still want a couple more bids but running out of time.

You can contact hoa for extension and most case it'll be okay. It's better to do right instead of rush.

jojoe1104 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
jojoe1104 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
@jojoe1104

My two cents is that you're not going to "win" by having the debate out here in the open.  Despite what you think of the issue, Bones is a regular here and is simply sharing his story about what happens.  I think that most people will understand that everyone has different experiences and tastes especially when it comes to landscaping.

Complaints, justified or not, are part of the game for a business.  I think a business is better off 1) addressing the issue with the customer privately and politely and 2) reflect on what might have gone wrong rather than going on the offensive.  I think what you are doing is somewhat counter productive.  I know that I would now be reluctant to use you.

An extreme example is the lady from Amy's Baking Company on Kitchen Nightmares.  Instead of reflecting on what they could have done better, they just blamed the customers.  A big no no. 

Edit:

Also..you seem to be focused on the time frame issue but that's probably the least of issues listed IMO.

-Couldn't keep commitments. Said he'd be on the job on certain days, but never showed.
-Sometimes hard to get a hold of.
-Randomly showed up in your backyard with new prospective clients w/o asking calling first.
-Very difficult to communicate with. He doesn't speak English very well. One time I told him I couldn't meet him at the house until a certain time, but I get a phone call from him 15 mins later saying that he was at my house. I told him I wasn't going to be home!
-Uses the same orange colored stone veneer at his jobs.
-Got caught charging one homeowner for stone that he ended up cutting in half and using at the house next door. The first homeowner shouldn't have paid for the stone at both houses! They should have split the cost if he was going to reuse. And what was he thinking installing the same stuff next door???
-Got caught by a neighbor not installing rebar unde the concrete as stated in the contract. Shady in my opinion.
-Got caught skipping out on footing underneath his pilasters. Footing is needed to keep the pilaster stable and secure.
-This guy does tons of houses in Irvine, but only because he's super cheap. Anytime you have someone that hits volumes like he does, you sacrifice quality and customer service.

As you advised, I tried to solve this issue thru private messages, but bones and studio wanted on public to debate. That's what they wanted.

Even if it is what they wanted...you as a business should understand that you are not going to win a public debate.  This whole sequence of posts has made me think that you are 1) somewhat petty, 2) tough to deal with, and 3) borderline vindictive.  None of those things are good for your business.  In fact, the exchange has further reinforced bone's and studio's posting about you for me.  There is a right and wrong way to resolve disputes with your customers.  You are choosing the wrong way IMO. 

For example, even if you are going to air this out publicly, you should have done it much more politely and with more tact.  Your first post on this board and this issue was a threat to sue.  That's is a pretty bad way to start.

I sent personal messages to all of them and Ididn't mension anything about legal action. When I asked bones about where did he live, he was scared. But I wanted to know because I worked a lot at the portola springs and I have very good customer relationship. If I gave him an estimate, I definately gave him referals. And if my customers are his neighborhood, he can ask abot me, too.

I'm straight forward man. I don't know tactic. I just don't like distort things and damages ti people with wrong information. My way of doing business is way different from what he asserts. He is mentioning unacceptable business custom and accuze me. Careless stone throwing can kill frog. He should have posted more prudently if he really wanted to give right information to members.

ps9 said:
@ jojoe

highly recommend this book for you:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Elements-Style-Fourth-Edition/dp/020530902X

a simple book that can greatly increase writing skills, less is more

Right. Thank you so much for your referrals. For me, English is a second language and mostly I studied English to study abroad (here in Michigan, ann arbor) thru grammar book which is with famous writers works. Actually it's not an nowadays common English. So I have sometimes problem with slang. I studied Spanish to communicate with my workers when I started landscaping business, 10 months of grammar and another yr of conversation. It's marbles language. Very simple and human friendly. Nowadays almost every where i intentionally speak Spanish and I don't have much difficulties to live, especially in California and in landscaping business. My English is worsened... I keep English ability just enough to do business. Also I can write and read a lot of  Chinese characters, I communicate with Chinese character with my Chinese customers. I call Irvine as China town. Chinese rush. I pushed my elder son who is doing his MBA degree to study Chinese and he will go to China to study more after graduation later this year. I studied Japanese a lot, too. but long time no use it, I forgot a lot. I can communicate Japanese with Japanese. I should have studied more Chinese than Japanese if I knew I will deal with a lot of Chinese. Who knows the future... English have 4 etymologies and to combine it, English has a lot of exception rules which aggravate to conquer.

I like my work and I like Spanish...

jojoe1104 said:
Right. Thank you so much for your referrals. For me, English is a second language and mostly I studied English to study abroad (here in Michigan, ann arbor) thru grammar book which is with famous writers works. Actually it's not an nowadays common English. So I have sometimes problem with slang. I studied Spanish to communicate with my workers when I started landscaping business, 10 months of grammar and another yr of conversation. It's marbles language. Very simple and human friendly. Nowadays almost every where i intentionally speak Spanish and I don't have much difficulties to live, especially in California and in landscaping business. My English is worsened... I keep English ability just enough to do business. Also I can write and read a lot of  Chinese characters, I communicate with Chinese character with my Chinese customers. I call Irvine as China town. Chinese rush. I pushed my elder son who is doing his MBA degree to study Chinese and he will go to China to study more after graduation later this year. I studied Japanese a lot, too. but long time no use it, I forgot a lot. I can communicate Japanese with Japanese. I should have studied more Chinese than Japanese if I knew I will deal with a lot of Chinese. Who knows the future... English have 4 etymologies and to combine it, English has a lot of exception rules which aggravate to conquer.

???? ???? ?? ?????, I get asked if I'm Korean all the time

Irvine ????????????
(????????)

????, ?? ps9 ??

I wish I have time to learn more languages.

ps9 said:
jojoe1104 said:

Irvine ????????????
(????????)

????, ?? ps9 ??

Are you going to say you are a Chinese not a Korean? '??'? ??? '??'???. ???

jojoe1104 said:
ps9 said:
jojoe1104 said:

Irvine ????????????
(????????)

????, ?? ps9 ??

Are you going to say you are a Chinese not a Korean? '??'? ??? '??'???. ???

I used to travel a lot without a guide. Many countries... Different cultures gave me a lot of different inspiratons. So I like America because I can meet with so many different ethnic groups. Very very interesting. I like to work with diverse background people. Different custom but same humanity. Work diffently but feel the same.

Back