Backyard Landscape Plans and Recommendations

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:
if you were doing all pavers for a 35x60 yard gopavers.com can do it for $21K (@ $10/sq ft). at my place they did about 1400 sq ft in four days.

Yea but who wants pavers in their entire 35x60 yard?

Oh I agree was just trying to give an example to the previous post about basic hardscaping adding 20k. Is about 25 ft deep, 35 must be nice.

That doesn't include any walls, planters, fire pit etc. that's also just paver not the natural stone etc.  so you can low end it and build a flat patio on the cheap. But frankly, no company will come out and do it. It's like a lot of thing with home construction. There a base point for jut getting the crew out to the house

Looking at the site you site you listed and pricing the natural stone product at the high end of the range, I get $63K for the same space.  I've always found when dealing with website that the higher number you can find is the closest

If you have them build any kind of shade structure the price quickly goes up.

Bones those look good and I've seen similar set up with cable pullu systems to run a shade under the pergola.  Higher end would be better IMHO, I've seen some perfab ones on the prebiotic pergolas and they're finicky to pull out and retract

bones said:
We are building an open metal structure in our yard. And am thinking about doing a retractable canopy system. Has anyone done this before?  Recs?

Cheaper option - steel pergola $499 at lowes and HD (different brands) I'm going to include that in the design for pavers when I submit that to the HOA for the backyard.

There are several homes in Emerson and the Estates in Tustin Ranch that have those types of structures, with the sliding shades. You should be able to search through some of the recent past sales' photos to find something you like and ask for a resource.

-IR2

Just in general - I think adding a shade of some sort for the backyard is a good idea/function. Especially because we have good weather in So Cal. In a way it's adding more use of the backyard. (outdoor living space)

Just a thought - maybe add "mist" to the pergola.  $15 on amazon for a mist cooling system - there must be a catch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JMN9IE

So here's the size of my back yard in my (soon to be) PP home. 

This is one of the reasons we loved PP so much - I certainly won't find a yard this size (in my price range) in any of the Irvine Pacific / Irvine Company villages. 

Even better yet there will be no home built directly behind me so we'll have a lot of privacy.  I haven't even started contemplating landscapers or landscaping budget yet - but this thread is really starting to scare me. 

Anyhow, consider this the "before" picture - the "after" picture will probably come in 9 months or so depending on how much bonus I get this year :)

Attachments

• yard1.jpg
    yard1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 421
bones said:
My thing about using the "popular" landscapers that everyone uses in the neighborhood is you tend to get the same (or similar) design.

Agreed.  That is the downside to using "popular" landscapers.  But I had a lot of say in my design and even Andru is saying I'm getting really artsy and creative.  I think that's landscaper's terminology for being a pain in the a**.

I do want my backyard to look different but it's so small there's only so much that can be done. 

I've known people who actually hire a landscape designer to draw out the blueprints.  Then find a landscaper to carry out those plans.  It might be more pricey to break up the tasks but it sure will yield more creative results.

bones said:
aquabliss said:

This is one of the reasons we loved PP so much - I certainly won't find a yard this size (in my price range) in any of the Irvine Pacific / Irvine Company villages. 

Even better yet there will be no home built directly behind me so we'll have a lot of privacy.  I haven't even started contemplating landscapers or landscaping budget yet - but this thread is really starting to scare me. 

Anyhow, consider this the "before" picture - the "after" picture will probably come in 9 months or so depending on how much bonus I get this year :)

Great size yard!  I'm jealous.  And let's be honest? life's too short for a 9 foot yard ;)

Hey hey ... my 9 foot yard is a HUGE improvement from my current 0 foot yard.  It's all about perspective here ...

Wow! That is the biggest yard I have seen in the last 10 years in Irvine. What is the catch here? Did you pay $2m? The land is radioactive? The civil engineer did a dimension error?

aquabliss said:

Congrats Aquabliss!  That yard looks amazing!  Even though it's just dirt but it definitely gets people's attention.  :)

irvinehomeshopper said:
Wow! That is the biggest yard I have seen in the last 10 years in Irvine. What is the catch here? Did you pay $2m? The land is radioactive? The civil engineer did a dimension error?

Well I guess it might be radioactive - time will tell but I already told my wife no veg or fruit planting back there haha.

It was far less than $2M!  This lot really hit the sweet spot for us... We've been home shopping since before Christmas and when we came upon this lot at this price point we knew it was close to perfect.

ZeroLot said:
Congrats Aquabliss!  That yard looks amazing!  Even though it's just dirt but it definitely gets people's attention.  :)

Thanks ZeroLot!  It certainly does... We almost got another lot that was even bigger but it was a weird shape / lot line so much preferred this one with the traditional layout.

Unlike the Irvine villages the creator of PP focused on less density and giving the consumers more yard and distance between the neighbors. I am glad consumers are buying in PP because property size matters. Ultimately the bigger property allows remodel and expansion potential. Land locked properties must rely on new home bench mark prices for appreciation. Soon or later once Irvine will be built out then price will reach it yield point and cease appreciation. Bren will complete his development legacy before his mortality. By then properties must rely on expansion in order to increase property value.

Back