Backyard Landscape Plans and Recommendations

walnut611 said:
Hello, longtime lurker here  :)

I have a question on landscape, when we bought our town home years ago we walked around our neighborhood and contacted only one company.  We were surprised when they charged us $500 just for the drawing on what the landscape would be but didn't argue and paid it.  We were young and stupid  ::)

What is the correct procedure and how much upfront cost is reasonable?  If we go to a couple of different companies and have to pay for all their designs, it will get quite pricey. Thanks!

Try to find a company that includes the formal drawings as part of their quote.  When I say "formal" I mean blueprint size drawings that can be submitted to HOA.  Most landscapers will also sketch out the proposal for you at no charge but not let you keep it or take pictures of it.  Then if you sign with them, they will use the proposal to create the formal drawings.

I would probably not use a landscaper that wouldn't do a sketch-up proposal for me at no charge.  Otherwise you're paying them before you know if you even like their proposed layout.  You can also contract a landscape architect to do the drawings for you but may not be worth it if your yard is small anyhow. 

Regarding cost, CA law allows them to take a deposit of $1,000 or 10% of the final job cost, whichever amount is *less*. 
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Media_Room/Press_Releases/2012/August_15.aspx

aquabliss said:
Try to find a company that includes the formal drawings as part of their quote.  When I say "formal" I mean blueprint size drawings that can be submitted to HOA.  Most landscapers will also sketch out the proposal for you at no charge but not let you keep it or take pictures of it.  Then if you sign with them, they will use the proposal to create the formal drawings.

I would probably not use a landscaper that wouldn't do a sketch-up proposal for me at no charge.  Otherwise you're paying them before you know if you even like their proposed layout.  You can also contract a landscape architect to do the drawings for you but may not be worth it if your yard is small anyhow. 

Regarding cost, CA law allows them to take a deposit of $1,000 or 10% of the final job cost, whichever amount is *less*. 
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Media_Room/Press_Releases/2012/August_15.aspx

Thank you for replying and yes, that sounds reasonable.  I did feel I paid without even knowing whether I'd like it or not and it wasn't a good feeling at all.  Worst part was they didn't even mention any charge when I contacted them over the phone. 

I would advise to question "planting allowance"  We were told a certain amount and I thought that was all material.  Later to find that it was 1/3 material and 2/3 labor.

Anyone recently worked with Mullaney landscaping? I have relatively simple job - pavers, front step lights and some planting. Do they complete on time ? Quality of work..

Do you have a contact info for Mullaney? Need to start getting some bids

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Anyone recently worked with Mullaney landscaping? I have relatively simple job - pavers, front step lights and some planting. Do they complete on time ? Quality of work..

Irvinehomeseeker said:
You can DM me for more info.

Is it too soon if I mention the landscaper who ended up taking over this thread? 😅

I used him last year, didn?t think to search here first and almost glad I didn?t because I had a good experience. Yes some of the things about working relationship were true for me, but what was more important was quality of work, hands-on guidance and honest opinions that saved us money and meant less business for him. His crew came everyday on time and stayed late into the evenings when needed, and it was the same set of a couple groups there the entire 2 months.

Can you PM your landscapers info

PSbuyer said:
Is it too soon if I mention the landscaper who ended up taking over this thread? 😅

I used him last year, didn?t think to search here first and almost glad I didn?t because I had a good experience. Yes some of the things about working relationship were true for me, but what was more important was quality of work, hands-on guidance and honest opinions that saved us money and meant less business for him. His crew came everyday on time and stayed late into the evenings when needed, and it was the same set of a couple groups there the entire 2 months.

Here you go:https://yelp.to/B03V8pdNVsb

trematix said:

PSbuyer said:

PSbuyer said:

trematix said:

PSbuyer said:

I might want to add a fire pit to my back yard next year so I'll give them a ring to get a quote.

Something else to mention, he?s very familiar with the various HOA design regulations, documentation and even delivered it to their office. He guaranteed that his submissions don?t get rejected which was true for us. So definitely time and effort saved and out towards making design choices.

Definitely to an extent! We did have a specific design in mind prior to engaging a landscaper so it was nice to know what definitely wouldn?t fly with HOA and what we could squeeze in after inspection, as well as specific design details like inlaid tile in the water feature.

@Irvinehomeseeker, incidentally, this is the same guy I told you about and ended up going with myself. In absolute terms, he?s not the cheapest out there but definitely among the best quality wise.

I asked my previous landlord for his contacts, since I loved the quality of the landscaping in my last rental. Good to get that second source of confirmation independently from here

PSbuyer said:

trematix said:

PSbuyer said:

Irvinehomeseeker said:

For something complicated, it will not be on time, but the quality will be fairly good (at least compared to others I've seen). For a simple yard with just tile and planting, I've seen them go very quick.

Back