Ayame Shabu Shabu Hot Pot

no more Hot Pot at Ayame...  :'(

now mostly sushi/bento boxes, still pretty good, flavor is subtle traditional Japanese

5b8adc88.jpg

Lunch ~$15 with soup,rice,desert

We went during lunch around 1pm, two other tables besides us.  Place seems to be popular with the Korean OC housewives club.

I predict this place will close soon.  My wife went back for lunch the other day and the quality/quantity of the same bento box we ordered prior was less.  I really liked there shabu shabu, too bad. 

@bones

good point, it is kinda iffy when you don't see the sushi chef making the raw stuff in front.  who knows what they're getting away with in the back kitchen.  btw, ever notice the "don't buy the sushi chef a drink" sign?  Wonder what lead to that signage. :)

I don't think Ayame is going to make it in OH shopping center with the current menu.  When they did Shabu, business was great and the food was good, until the OC Fire Authority caught wind.  I wonder if it was an annual inspection or something happened that the OCFA essentially shut them down.

They could probably still turn it into a shabu place, but would require some retrofitting of sprinklers, exhaust hoods, built-in gas tables, etc.

They were just down the street from Ayame, so that was the reason?  Maybe one of those cans exploded or something.  Always wondered how safe they are.  Gotta just bite the bullet and get the induction cooktop like SWSH or Mokkoji

Yeah, one weekend we had shabu there, the next weekend there was a sign saying they are no longer able to offer shabu according to the OCFA.  Still ended up eating there, but it was just okay, actually kind of a rip for the prices they were charging.

There must have been at least 5 or 6 couples come up to the door, read the sign, and leave.

Those portable burners are not industrial commercial use units, plus it was always a scare having kids around them.  A simple tug or push could pour scalding hot broth everywhere.  I wish them well though...

Back