Avocado Mission: FAILED

GraceOMalley_IHB

I am so disappointed in you, and you all know who you are... not anywhere near enough avocados were picked so you have left me no other alternative than to pick them myself and stand by the side of the road in Irvine selling them 3 for $2.00

I will be located at culver near the trader joes. Please honk and wave as you pass me. Maybe the Kogi truck might want to buy some.. but if I end up dead please let the record show that I did actually died in Irvine.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1250482822]Accessory to icicle gun suicide via lack of attendance to avocado party.

<-- guilty as charged</blockquote>

I wanted to talk to you about your unusual adoration for garages. Does the smell of gas make you happy? Or perhaps your wife has moved all your stuff form before you were married into the garage, and its the only place you can visit it... There is a guy in my neighborhood who has a pool table, some barcaloungers, a fridge full of beer, and a ton of neon and mirrored beer signs in his. Every night he turns them all on opens the garage and hangs out in his mancave. Is that really why you adore garages so much? Because its the only place youre allowed to visit your junk? Im just curious... :p

I admit that I also have a IHO dark side in me wanting to have a man cave in the garage that I can socialize with the other men in the neighborhood with except mine is buried in the back of the garage where only squirrels come and visit.

There is a house in West Floral park with a man cave I thought is pretty cool as described my by Grace in another thread. As you all know I am not a proponent of garage dominate house. I do however like this 3 car garage set up where the man cave does not distract from the composition of the house aesthetic. The single house is on a huge corner lot where the garage and front door are not off the same street.

The 3 car garage has a 2 car wide door and the 3rd stall is actually a workshop or storage with a window facing the street. The garage is also separated from the house by a breezeway with a connecting roof. The house is an "L" shape configuration where the back of the garage is adjacent to a huge backyard with a pool.

The back side of the garage has a porch and a window with shutters. The owner made it into a pool side bar with the bar space in the garage. What is cool about this man cave is the bar has 2 counters one to service the friends good enough to be partying by the back yard pool and the other counter in the garage to service the Super bowl party friends confined in the boundary of the 3 car garage watching the game on a big screen TV with a well stocked beer fridge and a small powder room with both a toilet, urinal and a outdoor shower accessible by the pool side as well as the garage.

The garage door is well setback from the street and it is at the middle of an elevation where one side is attached to the house with the breezeway and the other side of the garage is a casita studio separated from the house that I think is being utilized as a pool recreation room or guest suite.

This is a scenario where the garage actually contributes to both function and aesthetic of the house. West Floral Park back in 1940's families began to entertain outdoor and the homes built during that era the low silhouette ranch style form did follow the function. Later many builders copied the form without truly knowing the real purpose behind it.

I hope IHO when looking for his 3CWG consider these factors. I do not hate 3 car garages as along it is done tastefully. I actually enjoy seeing neighborhood men hanging around this 3 car garage that is well screened by deep setback and veil of mature trees. The tiki bar, neon beer mirrors, fishing gears, and other random things do not bother me at all.

Funny... I actually haven't been hanging out in my garage in recent years... I only did so when I have house projects and haven't had any major ones to do since my older house back in the 90s.

Any other time is for assembling large pieces of furniture, putting together bicycles or anything else that is too "dirty" for the inside of the house (well... we did fry a turkey last TG). Friends of mine usually use their garage space for entertaining (ie the poker parties BK mentions) and I have relatives who bust out the mahjong tiles in the garage.

I prefer a 3WCG for the options it provides me, not only in space to store things but also in driveway frontage for other activities. The current rental I'm living in isn't 3car wide but it does have the tandem where my extra junk and refrigerator goes... but I do miss the extra girth of driveway acreage for backing in and out of the garage... sometimes, you just want to go diagonally... hehe.

I think i would be okay with a 2-car garage if it was extra wide or had tandem space... and like I've said... doesn't have to be in the front... but there are practical reasons why that is the only option with lot limitations.

P.S. I saw "I Love You, Man" last night... they featured a man-cave garage which reminded me of the IHB... so hilarious.

I want a cave! I'm the power tool princess in my household. This is what I envision in my 3CWG. One side will be to display, on white marble, my 356 turquoise convertible vintage Porsche, with red leather interior(I don't really have one of these but the fantasy would not be complete without it :)). The other side will have a workshop for my carpentry projects. Straight down the middle will be a few pottery wheels where I can play in the mud with my friends. There will definitively be a espresso bar, too. Maybe by the time this fantasy comes to fruition I can just order a mini-Starbucks for my garage.

My husband is probably going to want his own cave too. So BK going to have to offer me a design solution. Maybe a two story 3CWG with a hydraulic lift?

This is a great plan if the kids turn out to be awful teenagers. Mom and Dad can just hide out in their caves for 7 years.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250482294]I am so disappointed in you, and you all know who you are... not anywhere near enough avocados were picked so you have left me no other alternative than to pick them myself and stand by the side of the road in Irvine selling them 3 for $2.00

I will be located at culver near the trader joes. Please honk and wave as you pass me. Maybe the Kogi truck might want to buy some.. but if I end up dead please let the record show that I did actually died in Irvine.</blockquote>

Wha...?? There really were avocados ripe for the picking and not just the low hanging rocks I kept banging my head into?

Sheesh. That's what I get for leaving "early," I guess.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1250550267][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250482294]I am so disappointed in you, and you all know who you are... not anywhere near enough avocados were picked so you have left me no other alternative than to pick them myself and stand by the side of the road in Irvine selling them 3 for $2.00

I will be located at culver near the trader joes. Please honk and wave as you pass me. Maybe the Kogi truck might want to buy some.. but if I end up dead please let the record show that I did actually died in Irvine.</blockquote>

Wha...?? There really were avocados ripe for the picking and not just the low hanging rocks I kept banging my head into?

Sheesh. That's what I get for leaving "early," I guess.</blockquote>

Avocados ripen nicely off the tree. I didn't see any ripe ones still up there. I have 6 in a brown bag right now and I am patiently waiting.

The difference is between ripen fruit and matured fruit. Avocado does not get ripen on the tree. It matures on the tree. When it is completely matured, then it will fall to the ground if not picked. Once on the ground, the chemistry will kick in and it will get ripe until it is brown, then rotten, etc. You want to pick the avocados when they are as mature as possible for nutriential and taste value, but immature avocados will get ripen unless it is very small and very undeveloped.

As to why it behaves the way it does, as any standard scientific reply should be, it is all genetic... I am sure there is some specific type of fruit consumer or process than make it a good stratgy.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250601958] I am sure there is some specific type of fruit consumer or process than make it a good stratgy.</blockquote>
It works great for the grower and distributor. The time of harvesting can be selected based on the price of the product. If the price is high, pick early. If the price is low, just leave 'em on the tree for an extra month. The distribution process is simplified, also. The product stays relatively hard during shipment, which helps prevent brusing. But the distributor knows almost exactly how many days between harvest and ripeness, so the timing can be adjusted to provide product to the grocery stores that will be ready just a day or two after being placed on the shelves.

It's amazing what you learn in 30 years of engineering consulting... I did some work for the California Avocado Commission years ago. The sent a complementary case of avocados to our office every month, even when they had to import them from Chile.

[quote author="centralcoastobserver" date=1250600177]In fact, avocados don't ripen on the tree at all. They stay hard until they are off the tree. I don't know why they grow like that, No_Vas probably does, though!</blockquote>

Honest, I don't. This is my total knowledge base on avocados:

1. Avocado trees hate frost. If it ices on your windshield, it could kill a tree.

2. I knew somebody who bought an avocado farm in Morro Bay. The market was red hot that year, and he had to hire armed guards to patrol his 10 acres and keep away crews of guys armed with burlap bags and flashlights. He made something ridiculous like half a million bucks on 10 acres in a single season, but sold immediately because he didn't want to keep up the armed security (he lived there).

3. There?s a bunch of money in them because you can?t grow them just anywhere. Some of the guys in San Diego county pay $800-1000 an acre/ft for water and are STILL profitable. That?s like 4-8 times market price in Bakersfield, and 100x over what they pay north of the Delta.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1250730764]So that's how BK can afford LV bags and CL shoes.</blockquote>

Once you buy a house in Irvine you become house poor.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250601958]The difference is between ripen fruit and matured fruit. Avocado does not get ripen on the tree. It matures on the tree. When it is completely matured, then it will fall to the ground if not picked. Once on the ground, the chemistry will kick in and it will get ripe until it is brown, then rotten, etc. You want to pick the avocados when they are as mature as possible for nutriential and taste value, but immature avocados will get ripen unless it is very small and very undeveloped.

As to why it behaves the way it does, as any standard scientific reply should be, it is all genetic... I am sure there is some specific type of fruit consumer or process than make it a good stratgy.</blockquote>

Avocados build up their oil content while on the tree. The longer you leave them on the tree, the higher the oil content. Some growers will do a late season harvest and pick fruit with up to 30% (which apparently is superb in flavor). There was a great <a href="http://www.lamag.com/article.aspx?id=14074">article about avocados in L.A. Magazine</a> that is worth a read.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1250738051][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1250730764]So that's how BK can afford LV bags and CL shoes.</blockquote>

Once you buy a house in Irvine you become house poor.</blockquote>
But if I buy in Floral Park, I become avocado rich!

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1250730498].... He made something ridiculous like half a million bucks on 10 acres in a single season,</blockquote>

What is the yield per season per acre on that? $50k/acre, so that is like 10,000 lb of avocado per acre (assume $5/lb)?

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250745492][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1250730498].... He made something ridiculous like half a million bucks on 10 acres in a single season,</blockquote>

What is the yield per season per acre on that? $50k/acre, so that is like 10,000 lb of avocado per acre (assume $5/lb)?</blockquote>

Wow, now I get it!

<strong>This explains why RE in CA is 2x as expensive as the rest of the USA</strong>. Everyone grows avocados in their backyards and earns an extra $50k/yr.

So it only appears that CA houses are selling at 6X income. <strong>Really, they are 3X income if you include the avocado money!!!!</strong>

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250745492][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1250730498].... He made something ridiculous like half a million bucks on 10 acres in a single season,</blockquote>

What is the yield per season per acre on that? $50k/acre, so that is like 10,000 lb of avocado per acre (assume $5/lb)?</blockquote>

They average 3400 to 6000 pounds per acre, with an occasional 8000 pound crop apparently possible. I'm exaggerating that he made 500K. It might of been like $200K which is equally insane.

Back