Avilas El Ranchito

homer_simpson

Avilas El Ranchito in Lake Forest

http://www.yelp.com/biz/avilas-el-ranchito-lake-forest

So a couple of coworkers and I went here today for some Mexican food.  We normally go to Javiers at the Spectrum since it's walking distance to and from work but today we ventured out of our .5 mile radius for food.

This place has pretty interesting decor.. surf boards, margarita glasses, shark stuff, weird posters hanging from the ceilings and walls.  It felt like I walked into a ghetto Wahoos...  ::) but who cares, right when you walk in they shove a big basket of Chips and Salsa in your face..

I would rate this place about a 3.5 ouf of 5, service was pretty slow but the food was good and pretty authentic. 

Beef Burrito Combo with Beans and Rice (Lunch Combo)  The burrito was ginormous, quite flavorful and the tortilla smelled good!
895cb166.jpg

Pollo Asado with hand made Corn Tortillas.  The charbroiled chicken tasted bland even with the sauce they drenched it in, wouldn't recommend this dish.
ecc4febe.jpg

Fresco Rellenos and Taco Combo.  The Chicken taco was yummy, again the tortilla smelled great and tasted fantastic.  The Rellenos was nicely made and was probably the best dish I've had here
e51bdcde.jpg

Couldn't finish all three so I have leftovers  ;)

Did you take a 3 hr nap afterwards?  That's alot of food...  You ever go to Fukada?  Or that sandwich place next door?  Great pastrami..

ps9 said:
Did you take a 3 hr nap afterwards?  That's alot of food...  You ever go to Fukada?  Or that sandwich place next door?  Great pastrami..

I had a meeting right after lunch too... I think I zoned out 3 times in that meeting... ugh

Fukada is good but the wait time is no bueno.  I prefer going to the Fukada on Scholarship as they offer the sweetened green tea. 

you didn't get avila's soup?? that is the only thing (besides the chips and salsa) you should order there. =)

I am biased against Avila's because I got locked in the bathroom the one time I ate there.

I don't actually remember the food. I just remember pounding on the bathroom door and starting to panic that all the oxygen was running out, and worrying that I would suffocate. Good times!

I've been to a couple of Avila's lcoations (Newport and CDM) and felt that both the food and service were disappointing.  I've seen some positive reviews on Yelp but can't say I'm a fan.  Thanks for the review.  If I give it another try, I'll visit the Lake Forest one ;)

Back