Average age for boys to start 1st grade

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1243564743]

Do you have a recommendation for an educational psychologist in Irvine area? I do not think IUSD provides any resources in this regard?</blockquote>

We used <a href="http://palmerlearning.com/">Dr. David Palmer</a>. I don't know about IUSD.

Thanks for the name of that psychologist and IPO... for your insight too! That is EXACTLY what I worry about at times. (World of Warcraft, the new Dungeons & Dragons - HA!) Thankfully between NJB (Basketball - GREAT league that teaches fundamentals and plays 5 periods so each child gets to play in 3) and now piano and some art classes, I am finding ways to keep his busy mind challenged. SO appreciate the name of that Educational Psychologist too (my youngest DID test for anxiety when they were ruling out ADHD, etc.) so that will be a great help!

NTI - the private school thing sounds like a great idea also! I have found that, for the most part, the teachers will work with you in keeping the smarter kids challenged. But, like IPO said, some kids are just plain bored in school. Another note about Irvine schools, my oldest son got into that lazy/no more effort cycle that can be common. He goes to school at Southlake, and they have a program in 8th Grade called Life Boat for kids that have a lot of potential but have let themselves get in over their head. It is a 7-week intervention that keeps them after school and in during snack & lunch to get caught up and reinforce study habits and consistency. My eldest was in this and is TOTALLY excited about school again, caught up and looking forward to challenging himself in high school. We truly have some great schools and programs designed to "catch" some of the kids that don't fit into the "typical" mode.

FYI, once kids are GATE tested, that is an IEP (Individual Education Plan) legally; just like those set up for a child with a learning disability. This means you can require the schools to keep your child in more challenging classes, Gate program, etc. So even if your child is not "recommended" for testing (sometimes kids that are advanced, but have behavior issues, are not recommended) you can request in writing that they are to get them into those programs. So regardless of the age at which your child enters the school system, there are MANY resources out there to make the most out of their education (especially in Irvine schools)! Thanks again guys - one more reason I am hooked on this site! :)

[quote author="steven" date=1243565517][quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1243564743]

Do you have a recommendation for an educational psychologist in Irvine area? I do not think IUSD provides any resources in this regard?</blockquote>

We used <a href="http://palmerlearning.com/">Dr. David Palmer</a>. I don't know about IUSD.</blockquote>
Thank you for the link. I just checked out his website and it seams exactly what I was looking for!

What would I have done without this blog and you guys :)

[quote author="jenyfurg" date=1243569716]

FYI, once kids are GATE tested, that is an IEP (Individual Education Plan) legally; just like those set up for a child with a learning disability. This means you can require the schools to keep your child in more challenging classes, Gate program, etc. So even if your child is not "recommended" for testing (sometimes kids that are advanced, but have behavior issues, are not recommended) you can request in writing that they are to get them into those programs. So regardless of the age at which your child enters the school system, there are MANY resources out there to make the most out of their education (especially in Irvine schools)! Thanks again guys - one more reason I am hooked on this site! :)</blockquote>
Oak Creek elementary has a program for high achieving kids that allows them to attend some classes in one grade higher, while beign in lower grade. They call them 1/2 class, 2/3, etc. They form classes like that only if there are enough students who will benefit from it. I do not exactly how it works and if any classes like that will be offered this year. With school budgets being cut I doubt there will be many resources avaialble. Out teacher mentioned that next year the classes will accomodate at least 3 to 4 more students that the maximum allowed this year to deal with the crisis.

Also, i was told that there are absolutely no GATE programs in IUSD until 4th grade. The testing is done at the end of 3rd grade.

The idea of private testing is great though and I'm happy to get the refferal.

I have a November born and a December (2) born. November born is the youngest in her class, and one of the smartest. Hasn't had any problems with learning. Oldest kid is an year and ten months older than mine, and several are older by a year. So, yes, sending kids late to school seems to be the trend.

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1243049792]I'm curious about your thoughts and/or experiences with starting kindergarten or first grade earlier or later for boys. I'm noticing that many parents here in Irvien are holding off their kids, especially boys to start kindergarten at 6 years old versus 5. Is there any advantage in doing so?

My son started kindergarten back in Los Angeles when he was still 4 years old. Now, since we moved to Irvine, my son is the youngest kid in his class with some of his classmates being almost 2 years older than him. He is doing fine academically, but has a very hard time adjusting socially. His teacher recommends us to go back to 1st grade so he can be with his age group. I'm a bit shocked by the turn of events. I think if it wasn't such a widespread hodling off of kids to endter school we would not be in such situation.

What are your thoughts?</blockquote>

From personal experience, it depends on your kids social skills. I started school 1 year early and skipped third grade so I've always been with older kids and it didn't bother me too much (maybe a little more in high school). on the other hand, my brother wasn't allowed to skip a grade because he wasn't as likely to mix well with older kids. We are both doing just fine today, so either way things work out.

Don't see it as a stepback as if he has any social issues it can get worse later on, so he'd better be where he's more comfortable.

[quote author="jenyfurg" date=1243504521]LOL - he is going to be taking a couple of courses at IVC this summer, but music & art courses. I'm working with a charter program for him and he will be tested to enter college early. We have to get a letter from his school recommending him to take the IVC classes, so on so forth... Because they don't TEACH trig in 5th grade :p he is not. However a friend of mine teaches Algebra at a Jr. College and had him play with some higher level equations (that baffled ME) and he understood the concepts and was "computing appropriately" she said. (Sounded to me like she was referring to my computer, not my son!) But yes, keeping him engaged in class has been interesting. The reading part is easy; I just send him with higher level books than they keep in his class. So, I say challenge our kids more and pull back when they aren't enjoying it! I actually had a couple of teachers (early on) suggest testing him for ADHD and a host of other things because he "couldn't focus" even though his work was always being completed very well. He was bored and antsy - so I wonder in this culture of labeling and diagnosing EVERYthing with our kids, if we just aren't allowing them to be challenged enough (appropriately of course). I'm a single mom who has not been super pushy, and if anything I feel guilty for not getting my boys involved in more, so this is not my doing at all. It is just how he's "built." :)</blockquote>

They have textbooks on just about everything (including Math) at the library. Could just send a Math text to keep himself busy as necessary (ex. Bernake taught himself Calculus that way as they didn't offer that in his small town high school).

Our pediatrician's office recommends that kids with birthdays in March or later to hold off on starting kindergarten at age 5. So that would make the oldest ones 6.5 when starting kindergarten, and 7.5 when starting 1st grade. Their recommendations don't distinguish between boys and girls.

Personally, I think it depends on the kid.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1254227852]Our pediatrician's office recommends that kids with birthdays in March or later to hold off on starting kindergarten at age 5. So that would make the oldest ones 6.5 when starting kindergarten, and 7.5 when starting 1st grade. Their recommendations don't distinguish between boys and girls.

Personally, I think it depends on the kid.</blockquote>

I hadn't heard that one before but it sounds about right, particularly for boys. Most of the boys I have seen may be academically ready but their ability to pay attention and sit still is still not there until they are at least 5.5 and maybe 6. It definitely depends on the kid, most of the preschools do an assessment at the end of the year, parents would do well to listen to the results.

Wow- March sounds a little early for me to have a cut-off, per your pediatrian's advice, but I guess, to each his own.

My son turned 5 in May and just started kindergarten.

I do think that CA's cutoff is too late though- December is quite late. Back in Chicago, the cutoff is August.

I think the March date is due to the recommendation that kids be 5.5 at the start of Kindergarten. This recommendation is that their functional age is at 5.5. The testing that my son had last year was entirely based on comparisons to a 5.5 level is many different categories. They looked at where they were compared to their actual age. It was interesting info. My son also started Kindergarten this year with an April birthday, however the test indicated he was ready, if it didn't, he wouldn't have started this year.

I just wanted to give an update for our struggle to decide what to do with our boy.

He finished 1st grade. Academically he exceeded all benchmarks for the 1st grade, socially he did not. We decided to switch schools and keep him again in 1st grade.

He definetely feels better and safer with his age group in 1st grade, but the problems continue. If before he would get in trouble only at recess, now it happens during the class. I think that he is absolutely bored and this is one of the reasons for him to act out.

I'm seriously thinking of sending him back to 2nd grade to challenge him at least academically.

We also tested him after advice of one of bloggers with educations psychologist. He tested to have an IQ of 146 and falls into "exceptionally gifted" category.

Parents of kids with high abilities who are acting out at school, are you there?!?! What do you do about it? Am I the only one that faces this problem?

I would love to hear from you!

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1254272976]I just wanted to give an update for our struggle to decide what to do with our boy.

He finished 1st grade. Academically he exceeded all benchmarks for the 1st grade, socially he did not. We decided to switch schools and keep him again in 1st grade.

He definetely feels better and safer with his age group in 1st grade, but the problems continue. If before he would get in trouble only at recess, now it happens during the class. I think that he is absolutely bored and this is one of the reasons for him to act out.

I'm seriously thinking of sending him back to 2nd grade to challenge him at least academically.

We also tested him after advice of one of bloggers with educations psychologist. He tested to have an IQ of 146 and falls into "exceptionally gifted" category.

Parents of kids with high abilities who are acting out at school, are you there?!?! What do you do about it? Am I the only one that faces this problem?

I would love to hear from you!</blockquote>

As someone who is likely gifted (untested) given my academic background ...

1. I was bored a lot in elementary, middle, high school, university, and later at work. Get used to it - doesn't matter where he is, he is going to be bored sometimes (meetings or class discussions anyone?). He needs to learn how to behave anyhow.

2. Sounds like you decided the problem was the school and switched, and now are thinking of switching grades again. Perhaps instead of always switching, it might be worth a try to find a way with whoever his current teacher is to fix the boredom (ex. maybe there is a book or other project he can work on when he is finished his work in class), as if his experiences are like mine, he is going to be bored wherever he goes. Even if he has some fun intellectual project at home (ex. write a book, have a hobby or whatever), he can think about it when he's bored at school - worst case, teacher calls on him because he's daydreaming, he gives the correct answer to whatever's being discussed in class, then can go back to daydreaming with no further consequences.

[quote author="tmare" date=1254257810][quote author="traceimage" date=1254227852]Our pediatrician's office recommends that kids with birthdays in March or later to hold off on starting kindergarten at age 5. So that would make the oldest ones 6.5 when starting kindergarten, and 7.5 when starting 1st grade. Their recommendations don't distinguish between boys and girls.

Personally, I think it depends on the kid.</blockquote>

I hadn't heard that one before but it sounds about right, particularly for boys. Most of the boys I have seen may be academically ready but their ability to pay attention and sit still is still not there until they are at least 5.5 and maybe 6. It definitely depends on the kid, most of the preschools do an assessment at the end of the year, parents would do well to listen to the results.</blockquote>

I was surprised when I read it, but it makes sense, especially these days when a lot of kids seem to be starting school later. Back when I was a kid, if you were a year or so older than the other kids, people would think you'd been held back. Hopefully this stigma is gone.

The pediatrician's reasoning was that kids today have such long life expectancies, so they don't need to rush into school as they have plenty of time for school later.

[quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1254272976]I just wanted to give an update for our struggle to decide what to do with our boy.

Don't be so narrow minded. Gifted and being extroverted will serve him well later in life. You can't teach either, but you can nurture them. Maybe he needs a physical outlet. Have you considered football?

[quote author="OC_Boston_Bay" date=1254317779][quote author="new_to_irvine" date=1254272976]I just wanted to give an update for our struggle to decide what to do with our boy.

Don't be so narrow minded. Gifted and being extroverted will serve him well later in life. You can't teach either, but you can nurture them. Maybe he needs a physical outlet. Have you considered football?</blockquote>

Dementia Risk Seen in Players in N.F.L. Study

<A href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/sports/football/30dementia.html?em">http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/sports/football/30dementia.html?em</A>

Any doubts I had at the beginning of this thread / end of last school year about starting my son in Kindergarten at 5 and 1st grade at 6 were totally removed today. I just got back from the Fall Parent / Teacher conference. (He is 5 months shy of the cut-off date in this district.) He's already met the 1st grade end-of-year goals in reading comprehension (he was evaluated at a 2nd grade level) and it's only October. He's also one of the only children in class to have passed every math test with a 100% score. Now I can't imagine what it would have been like to hold him back a year. It was noted he struggles with sometimes talking too much during work time (my main area of concern) but apparently it hasn't interfered with getting his work done or absorbing what is being taught. Interestingly, it was pointed out that the reason he's talking is to help the child next to him understand his work. That made me LOL for some reason. I had some doubts during Kindergarten when he was harder to reign in and focus on one thing but I see now that kids this age are capable of so much progress in such a short time. They develop so rapidly!... more than I expected. Anyway, this is my experience as a new school-mom.

Back