Augusta at Columbus Square

Let's see, given that I don't have to sign a disclosure stating that you can't plant any kind of trees, fruits, or vegetables kinda makes me think the dirt is a bit CONTAMINATED.  Secondly, I'm not looking to buy in Tustin.  Thirdly, I'm not looking to buy right by the railroad tracks.  Lastly, the super Mello Roos to buy a home that doesn't have a driveway is the last back breaker.  Btw, those Newport Coast homes by the landfill sure seem to be doing OK, don't they?  I'm not too concerned about fire danger over in Portola especially since those huge $1.4m+ homes and the toll road will provide a good shield if a fire does come.  ;)
USCT,

1) Don't they make you sign disclosures about land fill as well? I recall you mentioned a buyer of yours had to sign that. So it isn't the disclosure, it is the planting fruits and vegetables part, right? There seemed to be plenty of plants and trees there if I recall so it isn't a concern about plants, it is that they probably don't want you eating the fruits/veggies. So if I were a buyer that wasn't planning on eat from my garden, would this point be mute or do you worry that there is some other health hazard they didn't disclose? Would you eat your owns plants from the lots near the landfill because they didn't make you sign a disclosure?
2) Fair enough. Just curious, why? Seems this area is closer to 5/405 and cooler?
3) You don't want to buy "right" by the railroad but you are ok to buy right by the freeway? Fair enough. Personal preference. But it actually isn't that close. At least the lots that are near the inside of the development like these were. The lots in Las Ventenas seemed much closer to the freeway than these were to the rail road but i could be incorrect.
4) The MR I believe is about 2k more compared to las Ventanas I think, is this correct? The HOA is 700 dollars higher for LV. So net 1300 more per year. Don't know if that counts as super higher MR but i guess if driveway over 3 car garage is important, than it definitely could be the straw that....
5) You seem to be less concerned about a historical record of regular fires in the area than not eating what your grow there. I don't know how much shielding those things really provide.

Two friends of mine are buying. One is buying Las Ventanas and other is considering here. We were discussing the pros/cons about the two and you are very knowledgeable so I am trying get your assessment beyond personal preferences such as Tustin vs. Irvine.

One is looking at 2300 sqft for mid 700s(las ventenas) an other is looking at 3000 sqft for 770k (Tustin).

edhne said:
Let's see, given that I don't have to sign a disclosure stating that you can't plant any kind of trees, fruits, or vegetables kinda makes me think the dirt is a bit CONTAMINATED.  Secondly, I'm not looking to buy in Tustin.  Thirdly, I'm not looking to buy right by the railroad tracks.  Lastly, the super Mello Roos to buy a home that doesn't have a driveway is the last back breaker.  Btw, those Newport Coast homes by the landfill sure seem to be doing OK, don't they?  I'm not too concerned about fire danger over in Portola especially since those huge $1.4m+ homes and the toll road will provide a good shield if a fire does come.  ;)
USCT,

1) Don't they make you sign disclosures about land fill as well? I recall you mentioned a buyer of yours had to sign that. So it isn't the disclosure, it is the planting fruits and vegetables part, right? There seemed to be plenty of plants and trees there if I recall so it isn't a concern about plants, it is that they probably don't want you eating the fruits/veggies. So if I were a buyer that wasn't planning on eat from my garden, would this point be mute or do you worry that there is some other health hazard they didn't disclose? Would you eat your owns plants from the lots near the landfill because they didn't make you sign a disclosure?
2) Fair enough. Just curious, why? Seems this area is closer to 5/405 and cooler?
3) You don't want to buy "right" by the railroad but you are ok to buy right by the freeway? Fair enough. Personal preference. But it actually isn't that close. At least the lots that are near the inside of the development like these were. The lots in Las Ventenas seemed much closer to the freeway than these were to the rail road but i could be incorrect.
4) The MR I believe is about 2k more compared to las Ventanas I think, is this correct? The HOA is 700 dollars higher for LV. So net 1300 more per year. Don't know if that counts as super higher MR but i guess if driveway over 3 car garage is important, than it definitely could be the straw that....
5) You seem to be less concerned about a historical record of regular fires in the area than not eating what your grow there. I don't know how much shielding those things really provide.

Two friends of mine are buying. One is buying Las Ventanas and other is considering here. We were discussing the pros/cons about the two and you are very knowledgeable so I am trying get your assessment beyond personal preferences such as Tustin vs. Irvine.

One is looking at 2300 sqft for mid 700s(las ventenas) an other is looking at 3000 sqft for 770k (Tustin).
Part of the decision will be a personal preference to be sure.  In my mind, I hold a higher value living in Irvine than I do living in the Columbus Square.  I'm just not a big fan of the development over there, how it's laidout and where it's located.  I like that Portola Springs isn't as dense and has some elevation changes (I'll call it the poor man's Quail Hill).  I also believe that once all of Portola Springs is built you, there is a better chance for price appreciation given the relatively lower prices to Woodbury and Stonegate.  Besides all that, I like LV Plan 2...I don't need a big yard but I do want a driveway (deal breaker for me along with a downstairs bedroom for my dad). 

Lookie what I found.  The highly contaminated soil that you can't plant any trees otherwise your kids will die and and we will sue you because you promised not to plant any trees because the soil is so toxic disclosure.

2uq0ffb.png

2lu5j6p.png

Believe what you want.

Test, you didn't answer my question?

Maricopa, Stonegate- 3000 sqft plan(2), $4200/yr MR and $110 HOA.  Walkable new elementary, newer shopping across the road.  Now please tell me how $8085 for the same size home is worth it?  And let's be real, you can NOT walk to the District from CS realistically unless you're trying to exercise or something.  By that logic, you could walk to Tustin Marketplace from Stonegate (2.7 walking per Google Maps, compared to 2.9 from CS to District using same walking directions w/ Google Maps).  Maybe sometime in the future you could cut across or something, if they ever get close to buildout (5 years?)

Before you note the price difference, I'd attribute most of the $/sqft difference to the inferior area (close to bario, railroad tracks, possible dirty ground).  Even if you're going to compare it to living by a garbage pile (PS), at least you're not living ON a place where chemicals used to be dumped...just a mile away from one.  Not to say that's good either, but there is somewhat of a difference.

shadax said:
And let's be real, you can NOT walk to the District from CS realistically unless you're trying to exercise or something.  By that logic, you could walk to Tustin Marketplace from Stonegate (2.7 walking per Google Maps, compared to 2.9 from CS to District using same walking directions w/ Google Maps).  Maybe sometime in the future you could cut across or something, if they ever get close to buildout (5 years?)

Of course you can't walk there now, I was referring to when Tustin Ranch Road is complete.  How do you know it's 5 years?  Where are you getting that misinformation from?

2zecux2.png

Again, I don't know where you're getting all your other misinformation from but I'm tired of trying to correct it.  Believe what you want.

Sweet.  But approval and plans are one thing, but action? I'd love it if it were to be that quick.  But anyway, even AS THE CROW FLIES it is over a mile so it will be at least 1.5 miles!  NOT walkable in any realistic sense.

Even with ASAP TRR completion, which really could or could not happen...what about the double mello roos? 

So what you're suggesting is it's more expensive to live in Tustin than Irvine?  Maybe you're right.  But ask yourself this, would you rather live in a less expensive city along with the riff raff?  Quadruple the mello roos I'd say!  That is unless you're the riff raff.

test said:
So what you're suggesting is it's more expensive to live in Tustin than Irvine?  Maybe you're right.  But ask yourself this, would you rather live in a less expensive city along with the riff raff?  Quadruple the mello roos I'd say!  That is unless you're the riff raff.

I'm suggesting that they keep shooting for the moon with the MR in a time that construction costs have gone down since 2006 so they can try to hide as much cost and protect as much profit as possible.

Riff raff?  This dev borders the ghetto where you've got people walking up and down the streets at all hours and all the billboards are in other languages.  I don't mean to sound like a diva or something, but get real-  this is not the hills of Tustin Ranch.  My friend lived in a bordering TUSTIN neighborhood.  While it was older, it seemed well kept up, except people were getting their wheels jacked and cars broken into all the time. 

What are you trying to say, that Stonegate is going to contain more "Riff Raff" than the least desirable area of the former Tustin base?  Because this is where I'm getting the $4200/yr for a 3000 sqft home. 

If you guys can get people to look past the $8000 MR, then that's the buyers' problems and more power to you.  But you wanted an apples to apples comparison, what. about. Maricopa at Stonegate?  Can you answer that one?

shadax said:
test said:

I'm suggesting that they keep shooting for the moon with the MR in a time that construction costs have gone down since 2006 so they can try to hide as much cost and protect as much profit as possible.

Riff raff?  This dev borders the ghetto where you've got people walking up and down the streets at all hours and all the billboards are in other languages.  I don't mean to sound like a diva or something, but get real-  this is not the hills of Tustin Ranch.  My friend lived in a bordering TUSTIN neighborhood.  While it was older, it seemed well kept up, except people were getting their wheels jacked and cars broken into all the time. 

What are you trying to say, that Stonegate is going to contain more "Riff Raff" than the least desirable area of the former Tustin base?  Because this is where I'm getting the $4200/yr for a 3000 sqft home. 

If you guys can get people to look past the $8000 MR, then that's the buyers' problems and more power to you.  But you wanted an apples to apples comparison, what. about. Maricopa at Stonegate?  Can you answer that one?
Great point Shadax, that's the thing that baffles me....not only with Columbus Square but TIC as well.  Why the hell is Mello Roos going higher and higher when the costs of infrastructure have come down since 2006/2007 AND bond yield rates have come down a lot (aren't those the two drives of Mello Roos for potential homeowners)?  A Mello Roos of $8000/yr equates to about $150k in additional cost to the home if you were to capitalize the Mello Roos cost.

I have questions for test:

1. So there is no toxic soil disclosure when you buy in Columbus Square? A simple yes or no will suffice.

2. Don't you think $8000 MRs is high for a home with no driveway in Tustin?

3. Would you rather live in Irvine or Tustin?

USCTrojanCPA said:
shadax said:
test said:

Great point Shadax, that's the thing that baffles me....not only with Columbus Square but TIC as well.  Why the hell is Mello Roos going higher and higher when the costs of infrastructure have come down since 2006/2007 AND bond yield rates have come down a lot (aren't those the two drives of Mello Roos for potential homeowners)?  A Mello Roos of $8000/yr equates to about $150k in additional cost to the home if you were to capitalize the Mello Roos cost.

Yes, break it out that way and set it equal to Maricopa, and that's the equivalent of $740k for a Plan 1 at Augusta (adding 70k to set equal, since it is about double MR). Maricopa's Plan 1, while it may be 200 sqft smaller, is a traditional SFH with a driveway and by that measurement is only $50k more (789k per the decicated thread). 

That is exactly what they want to do.  They want to make it seem like it is significantly less in the big font sizes, but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of the deal, you're giving up your driveway for a few hundred extra SQFT of living area, same amount of bedrooms, and only saving the equivalent of $50k to live in an inferior location.

This rough math doesn't even consider the fact that you can deduct mortgage interest from your taxes but you can't deduct MR.  So the difference between the two developments would creep even smaller, depending on your tax situation...and, I guess, whether or not you are a FCB ;)

shadax said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
shadax said:
test said:

Yes, break it out that way and set it equal to Maricopa, and that's the equivalent of $740k for a Plan 1 at Augusta (adding 70k to set equal, since it is about double MR). Maricopa's Plan 1, while it may be 200 sqft smaller, is a traditional SFH with a driveway and by that measurement is only $50k more (789k per the decicated thread). 

That is exactly what they want to do.  They want to make it seem like it is significantly less in the big font sizes, but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of the deal, you're giving up your driveway for a few hundred extra SQFT of living area, same amount of bedrooms, and only saving the equivalent of $50k to live in an inferior location.

This rough math doesn't even consider the fact that you can deduct mortgage interest from your taxes but you can't deduct MR.  So the difference between the two developments would creep even smaller, depending on your tax situation...and, I guess, whether or not you are a FCB ;)

Because you guys don't understand how mello roos works.  Stonegate and CS bonds were taken out in 2007, the amount doesn't change.  Like I said, your posts are full of misinformation and it's simply too much for me to correct.  If you're considering purchasing in a particular location it's important to do your own research and not get it from an internet forum.

test said:
shadax said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
shadax said:
test said:

Because you guys don't understand how mello roos works.  Stonegate and CS bonds were taken out in 2007, the amount doesn't change.  Like I said, your posts are full of misinformation and it's simply too much for me to correct.  If you're considering purchasing in a particular location it's important to do your own research and not get it from an internet forum.

Maricopa at Stonegate = $4200/yr
Augusta at Columbus Square =  ~ 1.05% of purchase price, per their own literature.

Please enlighten me as to how I can't compare the two?  I don't care how the bonds were taken out or what is included in them, I am a consumer.  I see that one is nearly DOUBLE the other.  It's NOT misinformation.  I did NOT get those figures from an internet forum, I got them from the builders!

test said:
shadax said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
shadax said:
test said:

Show us the light then Test since we seem to be blind men in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there.  That being said, just face that there are certain people (like me) who will never buy in Columbus Square regardless of the price.

USCTrojanCPA said:
That being said, just face that there are certain people (like me) who will never buy in Columbus Square regardless of the price.

Good!  I hope you stay out of Orange County altogether.  I hear south central LA is a good match for you, it's close to USC.

test said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
That being said, just face that there are certain people (like me) who will never buy in Columbus Square regardless of the price.

Good!  I hope you stay out of Orange County altogether.  I hear south central LA is a good match for you, it's close to USC.
Come on now Test, be nice.  We can still be neighbors, I'll be sure to drop by and say hello whenever I'm over at the District.  :D

USCTrojanCPA said:
test said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Come on now Test, be nice.  We can still be neighbors.  haha

Come on, you know you like LA better, there are no imaginary disclosures about planting trees there.  Oh and no mello roos too!!!!

In the interest of fairness, I called Augusta's sales office a few minutes ago to ask them what the absolute numbers were for Mello Roos there.  They told me that the MR for Plan 1 was actually $6400 per year.  That would create an effective tax rate at precisely 2%, not 2.1% as stated on the advertisement.  It's still more than Maricopa by $2200, and unjustifiably so, but I wanted to make sure I was speaking in real dollar terms.  They either made their advertisements unfairly high to themselves as a percentage, or someone wised up and bought back part of the bond(s) like TIC was said to have done in WBE.

See test, I am not out to unfairly downtalk your products.  There is the exact amount from the mouth of one of your sales team.  What I am doing is pointing out that Stonegate's comparable products have less to pay in Mello Roos, and don't offer less in the way of infrastructure.

shadax said:
In the interest of fairness, I called Augusta's sales office a few minutes ago to ask them what the absolute numbers were for Mello Roos there.  They told me that the MR for Plan 1 was actually $6400 per year.  That would create an effective tax rate at precisely 2%, not 2.1% as stated on the advertisement.  It's still more than Maricopa by $2200, and unjustifiably so, but I wanted to make sure I was speaking in real dollar terms.  They either made their advertisements unfairly high to themselves as a percentage, or someone wised up and bought back part of the bond(s) like TIC was said to have done in WBE.

See test, I am not out to unfairly downtalk your products.  There is the exact amount from the mouth of one of your sales team.  What I am doing is pointing out that Stonegate's comparable products have less to pay in Mello Roos, and don't offer less in the way of infrastructure.
But Test's theory is that the higher the Mello Roos...the less riff-raff that buy.  So that would mean there's more riff-raff in Stonegate and Woodbury than there is over at Columbus Square.  The only Columbus that I would even consider buying is Columbus Grove. 

shadax:

What do you mean MY products and MY sales team?  More misinformation.  Every single one of your posts has misinformation in it and it's very tiring to reply to each one only to have you respond with more misinformation.  For the record I am a DACB (Domestic Asian Cash Buyer) living in NB (Newport Beach).

Back