Augusta at Columbus Square

The Motor Court Company said:

you do realize its the groundwater and not the soil.  and the same groundwater flows through many parts of irvine and tustin.  point is that they have to disclose cause they had to test it.  if you buy a house across edinger on other side of train tracks, you think that ground water magically is clean?  its the same exact thing except no one is mandated to test it and hence no disclosure

i wouldnt say its a sucker who buys them.  it really comes down to personal comfort level.  i think its being a sucker when one doesnt understand or take time to understand the real risk

we backed out of augusta for 3 major reasons: 1) development may not become reality and might stay big empty dirt forever 2) currently school isnt in community and we want daughter to be able to walk to school...again its part of development plan but no guarantee it will happen 3) land health issues...less about ground water and soil itself.  its not clear how they clean the soil and with 1 & 2, was icing on the cake for not wanting to go through

ill let you guys know if i bust out the checkbook for Augusta.

IHO - i think you favor westpark as one of your preferred locations, if that is the case, you know alot of the same issues you guys mention about columbus square and grove (power lines, etc) - are pretty much applicable to westpark. It doesnt seem to prevent you from buying in west park does it?

qwerty said:

IHO - i think you favor westpark as one of your preferred locations, if that is the case, you know alot of the same issues you guys mention about columbus square and grove (power lines, etc) - are pretty much applicable to westpark. It doesnt seem to prevent you from buying in west park does it?

IHO just prefers the "Irvine" name and schools  :p

Qwerty - We might be neighbors!

@qwerty:

It's one of my preferred places because of the 3CWGs... and unlike CGrove and CSquare... Westpark II wasn't a former military base, it was orange(?) groves and when those were selling for new in the late 90s... I don't recall any signatures regarding groundwater/soil exclusions (I had friends who bought there). As for the power lines, yes... but those are on the Harvard side, which is why I don't really like the homes on the west side of WPII... but the ones on the east side are of course closer to Culver (road noise) and actually near the El Toro plume.

We always talk about proximity and while there is always danger... the farther out the better... Augusta/CSquare is smack dab in the middle of the Tustin Air Base at least CGrove is across the storm drain and built on the land where there was former base housing (yet you still had to sign disclosures for CGrove)... and WPII is even farther out.

And again... it *is* just a comfort level... but I don't think Erin Brokovich can help Augusta buyers in the future because they signed that disclosure. :)

homer_simpson said:
qwerty said:

IHO just prefers the "Irvine" name and schools  :p

Qwerty - We might be neighbors!

we can invite IHO over to play hoops on the base so we expose him to the chemicals at least once a week. actually i dont know if CSquare has any basketball courts now that i think about it.

qwerty said:
we can invite IHO over to play hoops on the base so we expose him to the chemicals at least once a week. actually i dont know if CSquare has any basketball courts now that i think about it.
I'll play hoops there any time... I just won't drink the water, eat your fruit salad or touch the ground with my bare hands. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
homer_simpson said:
I'll just spike IHO's haterade with some of our soil...  :D
Easy for you to say... show Marge that soil disclosure and we'll see who's spiking who.  :p

For some reason she doesn't care because we don't grow things, don't drink tap water, and don't live underground..  ???

But what if Bart starts crawling around in the backyard or eats dirt like most kids do?

(I'm sensationalizing only because test used to make such a big deal of the Woodbridge plume)

"The Tustin base is considered a plum property, near major freeways and employment centers in Santa Ana and Irvine."

The location is great regardless of the toxic land.

Cant they just let the schools be managed by the IUSD? would that change the perception? 

qwerty said:
"The Tustin base is considered a toxic plume property, near major freeways and employment centers in Santa Ana and Irvine."

The location is great regardless of the toxic land.

Cant they just let the schools be managed by the IUSD? would that change the perception?

irvinehomeowner said:
But what if Bart starts crawling around in the backyard or eats dirt like most kids do?

(I'm sensationalizing only because test used to make such a big deal of the Woodbridge plume)

Good point!  :'(

Back