Audio geeks: Low-end A/V receiver?

effenheimer_IHB

<p>Audio-Visual junkies: I'm looking for an entry-level 5.1 receiver with HDMI switching. Sony has brought this feature down to the <a target="_blank" href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-o9MfzDaPnqk/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=10420&i=158STDG510&tp=179">$200 price point</a>. Can I stomach a Sony receiver?</p>

If $200 is your budget limit, there isn't much choice if you must have HDMI switching. Sony is the lowest priced option, although refurbed Harmon Kardons (see HK 146 at HK's website <a href="http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR%20146">here</a>) are the same price and will give you a more respected brand. Sonys have had a poor reputation in audiophile circles starting in the early 90's. Other receivers that are better regarded than the Sony that offer the same features you've asked for:

Onkyo SR505 ($250-300), SR605 ($400-500); 605 has more advanced/flexible audio processing

Denon AVR1508 ($350)

Yamaha V661 ($375-500)

If HDMI switching is not absolutely necessary, the Panasonic digitally amplified receivers (XR55/57) are also well respected in that price range.

<p>In the HK power specs: <em>All channels operating at full-rated power.</em></p>

<p>Bravo for an honest spec. I like the AVR 146-Z already. </p>

<p>are you kidding me? 200 on a receiver? your price point has to go up...</p>

<p>at least $400 on the onkyo extra for shipping</p>

<p><a href="http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=87018">http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=87018</a></p>

<p>it's like buying a 1 bedroom, dont do it. at least a 2 bedroom...</p>

I'm still trying to figure out a way to leverage my Adcom 535 somewhere in the house, if that tells you anything about the feature set I'd prefer to work with. The HDMI thing is a necessity because I'm not the only person living here and having a separate, manual HDMI switcher wouldn't fly. So I need a consumer grade receiver, and a $400 Onkyo is still a consumer grade receiver albeit with more power, bells, and whistles. If I can satisfy the requirements with a $200 HK, I'm done. The serious listening happens through a set of cans plugged directly into my sound card. Everything else is filler.

There are some caveats with the HK AVR146 you should know about before you buy it. First, the HDMI connection doesn't process audio, it only passes it through. In other words, you will need to connect another digital cable from your source to the receiver. If you don't mind doing that, the HK will give you superior audio performance compared to either the Onkyo or the Sony. Second, the OSD/setup menu also doesn't work through HDMI, so you'll still need to connect a composite/S-video cable to your display if you want to use the OSD. Third, if HDMI switching is important to you, how many HDMI sources do you have? The AVR146 has only two HDMI inputs and one output. Then again, the Sony also only has 2 in/1 out.

rickhunter:

There is no absolute reason you can't get by on a $200 receiver, it just depends on your needs. In terms of bang for the buck, in my opinion the most $$ should be put into speakers. Your source (DVD/HD-DVD/Blue-Ray/CD) should be second, receiver/amplifiers third, and cables/wiring last.

BTW, Robotech is sooo 80's.

<p>Allergy Dr - LOL</p>

<p>I grew up on that stuff. I think the movie rights got bought and is in the works to be made.</p>

<p>It's hard to have a priority list based on components since mid range component costs vary by components...here's what I have</p>

<p>TV - 46in Sharp Aquos</p>

<p>Speakers - NHT VT 1.2 Fronts, VS2 Center, NHT Sub</p>

<p>Receiver - HK DPR 1001</p>

<p>DVD - Denon 2910</p>

<p>Game - PS3</p>

<p>I gave away my B&K AVR 202 a while ago to my brother so I'm looking to buy a nice receiver within the next year. I just cant seem to pull the trigger anymore cause I'm not into it as much.</p>

<p>You are right about speakers as you can see I still have the NHTs</p>

You can get a AV unit cheap. But what about speakers ? You get what you pay for. Same with a good Sub. Its an investment in the future. A decent speaker setup for 5.1 will run at least $500 minimum. I have the SVS gear. <a href="http://www.svsound.com/">http://www.svsound.com/</a> A system is more than 50% the speakers. I have a Denon AVR4806 and a 3910 for DVD. SVS SB-01 7.1 setup. Only using it as 5.1 till I buy my new house in a couple years for 40% of what they cost today !

<p>Awgee, yes they do. Those are the kinds of expenditures that get in the way of downpayment accumulation. </p>

<p>I'm eating ramen <em>before </em>I buy a house so that I don't have the eat ramen <em>after </em>I buy a house. $200 A/V component = ramen. </p>

Adcom is soild stuff and shows you have good taste in audio gear eff.

bitserv's point is exactly the same as mine. In terms of trying to maximize audio quality, it pays to invest a disproportionate amount into speakers (and sub if you're not buying full-range speakers). not only are speakers fairly future-proof (except, perhaps, for # of speakers as that just seems to keep increasing), by moving up to medium-level gear (in the $200-500 per speaker range) you get huge increases in audio quality over the cheap stuff.

However, if the overall home theater experience is what you're concerned about, consumer research studies have shown time and again that while the audio is an essential part of the experience, the image quality and size is the most important factor in viewers' enjoyment.

Anyway, if rickhunter is curious, I have a 61" 1080p Samsung DLP, Definitive Technology speakers, Energy sub, Panasonic digitally-amped receiver and upconverting DVD player, Felston digital audio delay unit, Monster Power surge suppressor and line filter, two xboxes and one xbox 360 for gaming.

<p>Well, I've solved the problem for now. What started all of this is one of the bedroom receivers acting up. Rather than replacing it with a basic two channel unit, I decided that I should get something modern for the living room and trickle down the living room unit to the bedroom.</p>

<p>Instead, I took the vintage unit in the garage and stuck it in the bedroom (remote not needed) and hauled the flaky Pioneer down to the garage, where I can whomp it when it won't engage the left channel audio. The crap I put up with to save a buck. doG bless this housing bubble.</p>

<p>As for HDMI switching in the living room, I don't need it just yet. By the time I do, it'll be commonplace on mainstream receivers.</p>

<p>I still need a preamp for the Adcom. I can't believe how the preamps have held their value so much better than the power amps. 535's are changing hands for not much over $100 sometimes but the preamps are more than twice that. Do Adcom users all think they need a MOSFET amp these days?</p>

Back