Attic Fan Installation

Chairman said:
I need some homes and trees around me to block some of this brutal sun.

Leaving windows open just lets in more hot air. Keeping windows closed and you still bake. :(

Just wait until the home behind you has been build and hope they will block some of the late afternoon sun.  ;)

We have a "whole house fan" in our home.  And it was a great investment for us. My husband grew up with that in the South and I've never heard of it in CA, so I was skeptical.

We use it during the summer nights, and when I want to get rid of smoke/smell residue from cooking (I turn it on for 1 hour when I leave the house, and I come back with the smell gone).  We did not need HOA approval. 

We live 2-3 miles north of the 5FWY, which is hotter than other parts of the city.  But we have only used the AC 2x this summer during the nights.  It's not really useful during the day time if the outside air is hot.

Our house is 2600 sf, and we bought a double fan system, with automatic timer from amazon (sorry I don't have the info on the product). 

We used Direct Electric Company from Murrietta and it was inexpensive for install, they also sell the equipment.  I think less than $2K for equipment and install.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/direct-electric-company-murrieta-2?osq=whole+house+fan

FYI, it feels good when I hear my neighbors AC unit running at night and we don't have to.  We don't even have to use our ceiling fans at night, as the constant air blowing on my face is bothersome.

BTW, the whole house fan is not that loud, it seems equally or maybe even less noisy than the AC. 

Good luck!  :)

2nd floor hallway ceiling, next to the return vent.  Btw, the double fan let's you use one or both, if it's really cold outside, you can just use one fan. 

I love it!  It's like cool crisp fresh air, way better than the AC. 

Also, get the "quiet cool" brand or type. 

And, watch different videos re: install on YouTube so you have an idea of the different possibilities of install/location.  Try "Whole house fan", "quiet cool fans"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 241
That's a good installation.

The ones I've seen are huge and you have to open these giant vents to activate it (fan looks like it's from an action movie).

So are there 2 fans behind that vent?

Another update. Once I learned that I didn't have to cut a hole in my roof, I looked into other gable-mounted attic fans and found this one:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V5J1XA/ref=twister_B0054SCFJC(you would also need to get this gable vent shutter:http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Attic-CX2121-Automatic-One-piece/dp/B001AH8HL6/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_y).Since these are 3x to 5x more powerful than the solar-powered attic fans, I'd only need to buy one fan.

I called some contractors and was quoted $125 for a basic install, or $200 if they need to run some wiring up in the attic. My contractor also suggested connecting the attic fan's electrical switch to a hallway switch, such that I can control when the fan is on or off (versus having the fan being controlled solely by the fan's built-in thermostat)

Our home is 2100 sq. ft. and our contractor recommended that we go w/ the 2500 cfm unit. If so, I'm looking at approximately $350 for materials and labor, whereas the solar one would have cost about $450 for materials alone, plus up to $300 for labor.

Now, my next dilemma is - should I get a whole house fan in addition to the attic fan? It seems to me that the whole house only works if I have the windows open - the whole house fan then draws the hot air inside the house into the attic to allow (in theory) cooler air to come in the house. Do I have to open all of my windows or just some of them? Can I just open the 2nd story windows, or do I need to open both stories? Also, what if it's a hot day with no breeze? Does the whole house fan add any benefit? Based on the square footage of our house, it looks like we'd need something like this:http://shop.quietcoolfan.com/QC6400-quiet-cool-fan.aspx.

irvinehomeowner said:
At least an attic or whole house fan cost way less than solar panels. :)

Agreed!

We'll have the attic fan put in, but we'll probably hold off on the whole house fan for now. We realized that our balcony may have some wood rot that should probably be addressed immediately - the home was built in 1979 and it looks like the balcony has no drainage system so water just pools on the surface of the balcony. When we step on the balcony, it seems a bit "bouncy," and we suspect wood rot. Better to get it fixed now before the wood rot gets any worse or affects any other portions of the house. We estimate that this job will cost about $1,200+ to repair, in addition to putting in the necessary drainage. Good times.

OS said:
So DIY WHF seems like ~$300 or so. Handyman + Home Depot looks like ~$700 (we had 2 handymen quote it, both said 8 hours of work total).

Perhaps the double fan system and higher quality unit you have in your place accounts for the difference?

I think that's correct. I am also doing my research, and a 6900 CFM unit from Lowes is about $350 whereas a QuietCool house fan, which is allegedly a more quiet system, would cost over $1K. Thus, $2K doesn't sound completely out of the ballpark if she was using a higher quality unit.

I'm still a little confused by the whole house fan. Are you supposed to open ALL of the windows of the house (both upstairs and downstairs) when this thing is running? Also, should all of the bedroom doors be open? Also, if I've got a 2 story house, can I install this on the second floor (let's say at the top of the stairs) and be done with it? The reason I ask is this - if we put our son to bed at around 7pm, we don't want him sleeping with the windows open, nor do we want his bedroom door to be open (we also don't want to have to go in his room after he falls asleep in order to close the windows). On the other hand, we also don't want his room to be too warm and uncomfortable in the summertime.

OS said:
If you want a room to be cool, open the windows and door leading to the fan. It's as simple as that. This thing won't cool his room if everything is shut.

All it does is pull outside air in and expedite the movement of warm air up through the attic to the outside.

I don't think you need to open every single window, but you do need to open the house up a bit to account for the size of the fan you're installing.

The more you suck, the more it blows.

Got it. What I was thinking was that we could open up a number of windows and doors but, before we put our son to sleep, we'd close his window while leaving other ones open. Hopefully the house will have cooled down sufficiently by then such that his room will be a comfortable temperature.

Am still waiting for builder to get back with me on a roofer willing to install on my high pith roof.

I picked out my attic fan ... Remington 25 watt solar.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Remington-Solar-25-Watt-Gray-Solar-Powered-Attic-Fan/203832797/?MERCH=REC-_-tablet_pip1_rr-2-_-NA-_-203832797-_-N&showPLP=false

Again of anyone has a roofer that can install on a tile roof, please let me know.  Thank you.

So DIY WHF seems like ~$300 or so. Handyman + Home Depot looks like ~$700 (we had 2 handymen quote it, both said 8 hours of work total).

Perhaps the double fan system and higher quality unit you have in your place accounts for the difference?

I don't remember the exact cost, but I know it wasn't more than $2K.  But I just remember we bought a more expensive type, for reasons I don't remember either.  :(

raisingkids said:
FYI, it feels good when I hear my neighbors AC unit running at night and we don't have to.

We're on a time-of-use rate with Edison, so I can run my AC from 12am-6am for ~70 cents per hour. In fact, I set the T-stat set to completely cool the house by 6am, which lasts until about 10 or 11am even on warm days (another reason the Nest isn't a good fit for us, but I digress).

So this would only be useful from ~7pm-midnight for us, when the outside air is cool and the electrical rates would be high.

I'm not sure the payback is there for our instance, and man, I really wish it were.
[/quote]

I prefer the cool outside air than the AC cold air.  But maybe I'm just used to it now.  Good to know Edison has that option, thanks.

irvinehomeowner said:
That's a good installation.

The ones I've seen are huge and you have to open these giant vents to activate it (fan looks like it's from an action movie).

So are there 2 fans behind that vent?

Yes 2 large tubes behind the vent.  The actual fans are in the machine resting in our attic somewhere.  I suppose if it's a single fan, it would be a smaller vent size.

raisingkids said:
Yes 2 large tubes behind the vent.  The actual fans are in the machine resting in our attic somewhere.  I suppose if it's a single fan, it would be a smaller vent size.
Ahh... so that's also why it's more quiet. With the fans being set away from the vent, that helps minimize the noise.

I can see why your installation is more costly than OS' DIY setup.

I think there is more payback in spending < $2k vs $10-20k on solar. People spend more than $2k on painting their house and there it doesn't make the house cooler. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
People spend more than $2k on painting their house and there it doesn't make the house cooler. :)
It could make a difference.  The temp in my car went WAY down after I painted it.
IMG_2781-300x225.jpg

Back