AT&T Gigapower is here (1gbps or 300mbps up & down)

I just had Gigapower installed (300 down /300 up service) on monday here in woodbury,
and so far it works well .

Attachments

• 5260758195.png
    5260758195.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 389
I've always had spotty AT&T service throughout the california state but if they can offer a good deal on this, I might have to take a stab at it over cox.

123jason1 said:
I just had Gigapower installed (300 down /300 up service) on monday here in woodbury,
and so far it works well .

We are in Woodbury, but we don't have U-Verse.

Called Cox to see if they could upgrade me to the Ultimate tier for lower than $99.  They mentioned there are no promotions available for this tier, but offered to discount my premier service $25/month for 2 years.  That's probably the easier $600 I've ever made!

woodburyowner said:
Called Cox to see if they could upgrade me to the Ultimate tier for lower than $99.  They mentioned there are no promotions available for this tier, but offered to discount my premier service $25/month for 2 years.  That's probably the easier $600 I've ever made!

so how much are you paying for the premier ? and did you have to get into a 2 yr contract?

Looks like the ATT gigapower is working.

sky949 said:
woodburyowner said:

so how much are you paying for the premier ? and did you have to get into a 2 yr contract?

$60 instead of $85/month.  No contract required.

woodburyowner said:
sky949 said:
woodburyowner said:

$60 instead of $85/month.  No contract required.

I might have to call Cox and see if this works.

When signing up for ATT Gigapower the terms threw me off. Not sure if everyone signing up has agreed to such terms. See attached.

Attachments

• ATT-Gigapower-Terms.png
    ATT-Gigapower-Terms.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 445
I've been living with Gigapower (1gbps) for the last month or so...some observations:

1.  Superfast uploads.  I agree with the above comments that the download speed improvement (I came from Cox 50mbps) isn't' really noticeable unless you're downloading large files.  However, getting files from my NAS is MUCH faster.

2. TV service via ethernet: The boxes that provide TV are just regular net devices, meaning they are attached to the same switch as the Apple TV, receiver, etc.  Also, I can confirm that there are no data caps if you use their TV service

3. Cheaper than Cox...for now: With discount, I am paying less for this service than I was for Cox.  That may change after a year, but I'm probably going to make internet/cable shopping an annual event to make sure my bill stay low all the time.

4. You will need a better wireless router and infrastructure:  I'm thankful that my builder (Woodbury Stonetree) put Cat5e all over the house, which makes deployment of fast internet much easier and cleaner.  However, I had to upgrade all of my switches to gigabit Ethernet, and also ended up buying a new wireless AC system to take advantage of the higher bandwidth.  Wallets beware...

5. Discounts for privacy: Yes, AT&T charges more if you opt-out of their data collection/marketing program.  I have mixed feelings about this.  For the time being, I'm taking the discount.

tsutomu45 said:
I've been living with Gigapower (1gbps) for the last month or so...some observations:

1.  Superfast uploads.  I agree with the above comments that the download speed improvement (I came from Cox 50mbps) isn't' really noticeable unless you're downloading large files.  However, getting files from my NAS is MUCH faster.

2. TV service via ethernet: The boxes that provide TV are just regular net devices, meaning they are attached to the same switch as the Apple TV, receiver, etc.  Also, I can confirm that there are no data caps if you use their TV service

3. Cheaper than Cox...for now: With discount, I am paying less for this service than I was for Cox.  That may change after a year, but I'm probably going to make internet/cable shopping an annual event to make sure my bill stay low all the time.

4. You will need a better wireless router and infrastructure:  I'm thankful that my builder (Woodbury Stonetree) put Cat5e all over the house, which makes deployment of fast internet much easier and cleaner.  However, I had to upgrade all of my switches to gigabit Ethernet, and also ended up buying a new wireless AC system to take advantage of the higher bandwidth.  Wallets beware...

5. Discounts for privacy: Yes, AT&T charges more if you opt-out of their data collection/marketing program.  I have mixed feelings about this.  For the time being, I'm taking the discount.

Sorry I am slow to this, this means you have ATT Uverse? I am also in Woodbury, but we don't have Uverse available.

Yes.  U_Verse (at least in the Stonetree tract) has been available from the get-go (we had U-Verse internet back when we bought the house in 2007).

The installer (so take this with a grain of salt) claims that the newer Woodbury homes have been built with fiber to the home, so in theory gigabit internet has always been available, but AT&T didn't decide to offer it due to regulatory issues.

My cynical take is that they didn't turn it on until they found out Google was coming to Irvine, but whatever.

COX increased download speed in the last week.  I have been paying for the 100/20 Mbps and on a direct connection vs. wireless I measure approximately 120/12 Mbps.  Starting last week I noticed that it is measuring closer to 160-180 Mbps download but no difference in the upload (~12Mbps).  I haven't changed my plan and not paying anything different than before.  Others with COX seeing this also?

Logik said:
COX increased download speed in the last week.  I have been paying for the 100/20 Mbps and on a direct connection vs. wireless I measure approximately 120/12 Mbps.  Starting last week I noticed that it is measuring closer to 160-180 Mbps download but no difference in the upload (~12Mbps).  I haven't changed my plan and not paying anything different than before.  Others with COX seeing this also?

I just happened to check my speed last night and noticed the exact same thing. On my iPhone 6s Plus it was downloading at 168 and uploading at 10

Just upgraded to ultimate (300/30) for $6/month for the next two years. My old package was premier Internet (150/10) and the best phone package for $80/month plus taxes for a total of $93/month. Now for $99/month including taxes I have the same phone package plus ultimate Internet. You do need the docsis 3.0 modem. 

Just signed up for Gigapower, 1Gb up/down (80/month) with U300 (75/month) with a 400 cash card.  Gigapower with TV gets me unlimited data, otherwise it's capped at 1TB/month.  I don't think I would ever get close to 1TB though...

I'm waiting for GigaPower and so far when I punch in my address it shows as unavailable. Anyone in OH have GigaPower yet or know when it might be available here? We all have fiber to our closets so it should be very easy to turn it on.

@qwerdownload

Do you even notice a difference between 300/30 and 150/10?

I didn't notice that much when they went from 50 to 100.

Back