AT&T Gigapower is here (1gbps or 300mbps up & down)

Hmm, cox just raised prices across the board, I pay $75 for 100mbps, that's with a $10 discount...hmmmm

Well... I need to start looking at my bill, electronic and auto bill pay is surely their strategy to jack up prices without people knowing...

It's in the latest cox statement, just found out yesterday while I was changing my auto bill card.  There was also mention of their gigabit pricing, but not sure if it's avail here yet in Irvine

Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
Apparently AT&T has gigabit internet here in Irvine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.att.com/shop/internet/gigapower/coverage-map.html

$80 for 300 megabit...$110 for 1 gig...I think I am getting 60 mega for about $65 right...I think I will pass as I have no complaints about my speed of service, not streaming 4K.

It's the upload that is the huge difference. I host a personal cloud at home. I just looked it up and the Cox 60 mega plan is 60down and 6 up. So 300 is only 5X faster than your down but 50X faster than your up.

paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
Apparently AT&T has gigabit internet here in Irvine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.att.com/shop/internet/gigapower/coverage-map.html

$80 for 300 megabit...$110 for 1 gig...I think I am getting 60 mega for about $65 right...I think I will pass as I have no complaints about my speed of service, not streaming 4K.

It's the upload that is the huge difference. I host a personal cloud at home. I just looked it up and the Cox 60 mega plan is 60down and 6 up. So 300 is only 5X faster than your down but 50X faster than your up.

Only issue is that AT&T caps at 500 GB...$10 for an extra 50 GB.  Clearly I am nowhere near 500 GB now but I am not a fan of data caps.

It is $109.99 a month after the first year and you get the discount only if you sign up for this:

By choosing AT&T Internet Preferences, you'll receive our U-verse with AT&T GigaPower Premier Offer. When you select AT&T Internet Preferences, we can offer you our best pricing on AT&T GigaPower because you let us use your individual web browsing information, like the search terms you enter and the web pages you visit, to tailor ads and offers to your interests.

You won't necessarily receive more ads when you're online, but those you do see may be more suited to your interests.

I just had Gigapower installed (the 300/300 speed level) on Friday here in Portola Springs, and so far it's been great.  If I hardwire myself into the router I'm getting around 320mbps up/down, so definitely getting the speeds I was promised.  I'm using my own router as a passthrough (Asus RT-AC66U) which works well, except I'm not seeing the same 300 up/down speeds as I do when I'm directly connected to the AT&T modem/router (I see around 200 down/275 up when hardwired into the ASUS). Would be interesting to see if anyone has the 1gig service and if they're getting that speed.

The overall install went really smoothly.  One guy did the indoor wiring which was pretty simple, just connecting 2 ethernet cables coming from the outside box into my closet and then connecting up the AT&T modem/router to my existing home network.  Another guy came by later and installed the fiber equipment in the box on the side of my house.  My house is only 3 yrs old, so I'm guessing the fiber had already been run up to that box on the side of my house.  Overall, I've been very pleased with it.

Just curious what you guys actually use this bandwidth for?  I'm at 100 and my connection never really gets saturated until I download ISO images of linux.

woodburyowner said:
Just curious what you guys actually use this bandwidth for?  I'm at 100 and my connection never really gets saturated until I download ISO images of linux.

It's all about the upload speed for me. The 100mbps services for residential generally have under 10mbps upload. I personally had 2mbps upload previously and when an iPad would backup the to cloud for instance, my entire internet connection would grind to a halt.

Also my slingbox was very choppy if used outside the home.

woodburyowner said:

That's like asking guys why they need a 1,000 horsepower supercar.

SubSolar said:
woodburyowner said:

That's like asking guys why they need a 1,000 horsepower supercar.

With a 1000 HP super car, you actually do go faster.  With 300mbps connection, your limiting factor will be the connection on the other end.  I have 100mbps and I rarely get anywhere close to this so I can't imagine how you can saturate a 300mbps connection.

The UL speed makes more sense.  My backups could use an extra speed boost.  Cox is pretty stingy with UL.

irvinehomeowner said:
Multiple streaming devices can eat up download bandwidth.

Yep, soon a family of 5 will have everyone streaming 4k/8k videos from youtube, Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc. Each one needed at least 25 megs.

Back