Asian begging

OpenSky said:
qwerty said:
It is about me. Where do you think the redistribution is coming from? From people like me and many others on this board. If you want to redistribute more of your money be my guest. And it's really easy to tell others what to with their money. Feel free to make a donation to the US government and put your money where your mouth is.

We all benefit from an educated, healthy, clothed and fed society. We all benefit from the infrastructure that is accessible to everyone. We all benefit from a high class military. We all benefit when government is the spender of last resort -- whether it is to fund projects like DARPAnet that leads to the internet, to build bridges on the 405 freeway or to provide benefits to the disabled or unemployed. Or to educate your kids via IUSD, CSUF or UCI. The free market will step in when there is money to be made, but oftentimes there simply isn't.

You may very well be paying your fair share, but in the aggregate, tax revenues are quite low vs. GDP. Corporations frequently skirt tax law with exotic schemes that pervert the system. The GEs, Googles and Apples of the world are getting tax credits while yielding massive profits.

I don't disagree with anything you said. The problem is that a relative few pay for the majority of the things you mentioned and when you want those few to pay more well that's where the problem starts. At some point enough is enough. The mentality of the relative few paying for more and more perpetuates the mentality that it's ok to ask for more by those with fewer means. And then the cycle/mentality never ends. Kind of like the unemployment extensions (finally ended). Unemployment for two years was crazy.

It's kind of a shitty feeling when your government says thank you for your success by telling you to bend over and take it with no Vaseline and take 50% of your paycheck.

Keep in mind the US has some of the highest corporate tax rates, now not that many of them actually pay those rates, however, you tax them more and in the pursuit of shareholder happiness they will take their business overseas

qwerty said:
OpenSky said:
qwerty said:
It is about me. Where do you think the redistribution is coming from? From people like me and many others on this board. If you want to redistribute more of your money be my guest. And it's really easy to tell others what to with their money. Feel free to make a donation to the US government and put your money where your mouth is.

We all benefit from an educated, healthy, clothed and fed society. We all benefit from the infrastructure that is accessible to everyone. We all benefit from a high class military. We all benefit when government is the spender of last resort -- whether it is to fund projects like DARPAnet that leads to the internet, to build bridges on the 405 freeway or to provide benefits to the disabled or unemployed. Or to educate your kids via IUSD, CSUF or UCI. The free market will step in when there is money to be made, but oftentimes there simply isn't.

You may very well be paying your fair share, but in the aggregate, tax revenues are quite low vs. GDP. Corporations frequently skirt tax law with exotic schemes that pervert the system. The GEs, Googles and Apples of the world are getting tax credits while yielding massive profits.

I don't disagree with anything you said. The problem is that a relative few pay for the majority of the things you mentioned and when you want those few to pay more well that's where the problem starts. At some point enough is enough. The mentality of the relative few paying for more and more perpetuates the mentality that it's ok to ask for more by those with fewer means. And then the cycle/mentality never ends. Kind of like the unemployment extensions (finally ended). Unemployment for two years was crazy.

Just remember some Bar Stool Economics and realize how f*#ked up our tax system and political debate have become:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7nRc3_EG0

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I have seen many panhandlers off freeway off ramps or outside of Targets. They are mostly white or black with some Asians but I rarely see Hispanics even in Santa Ana. Any explanation?

Hispanics have work ethic and pride. There isn't a job we won't do. Everyone else thinks they are too good for certain jobs.

You read my mind. Totally agree.

Recently, my family went to the Santa Ana Zoo. Our car stopped at a red light at the off ramp @ 1st St & Elk Lane. There were 2 people standing next to our car & next to each other: 1 Mexican man selling flowers out of a bucket and 1 white woman begging for money. Mr. SoCal turned to me and asked if I noticed what he noticed. Nod, nod, wink, wink. Roger that. I got you. We went to the zoo, came out hours later. He was still standing in the exact same spot. She was gone. What's the diff?

irvinehomeshopper said:
Hispanics don't mind accepting extended family members in need and forgiving to one another. Rather than letting the unfortunate ones be homeless. They would rather pack a bunch of people into one house.

Totally agree with you. Asians & Hispanics are "Ride or Die" families. That's what I like about them. White families are so different! (Italians can be an exception.)

There is NO expectation of help from family in most cases unless they are very wealthy - but even then, no guarantee. Parents want kids to make it on their OWN. In that case, trust funds and wills are often arranged that it is not used as a crutch in the young years. If help is given, it is above & beyond the call of duty & they expect the family member to recognize & greatly appreciate that. Help is often a 1-time thing. They also like to keep score of who helped who. Parents do not expect the kids to care for them when they are old. But it cuts both ways. When the kids are 18 or even sooner, they're encouraged to be independent. Need clothes? Gas? I'm not an ATM. Need a down payment for your house? Earn it. Need college tuition? Get a second job, take out a loan, go to a vocational school, join the military, whatever - college is not crucial. They are much more independent. There is no safety net. Parents say, "My house does not have a revolving door." That's good when it pays off but not when the chips are down. They do not consider it normal to live at home with mommy when you are 30 years old. No multi-generational living except Boomerang Kids in a really, really tough economy with very generous parents. They believe the "baby birdie has to be shoved out of the nest to find its own way in the world".

Also, white people will give you the AXE for ANY reason or NO reason at all! They can be very cold. Friends & family - They will drop them all like a hot potato! They will disown anybody and use the word "toxic" to make themselves feel ok about that. I.e. "Oh, my son, daughter, and neighbors are toxic to me. So, I don't talk to them anymore. That's ok. I have my cats."

The kids - young & grown - have to be very resourceful. The plus is, they get that sense of achievement because they owe nothing to nobody, they did it all on their own. That was their parents' whole point all along. You pull yourself up by the boot straps & you DO it. That is how you become a responsible adult. Then they raise their kids with the same gift, the same message: "Nobody in this world owes you a THING." And the cycle repeats.

OpenSky said:
qwerty said:
It's kind of a shitty feeling when your government says thank you for your success by telling you to bend over and take it with no Vaseline and take 50% of your paycheck.

Think of it this way-- you're thanking the country that gave you the opportunity to succeed. That protected you while you worked hard. That educated you. That gave you the foundation for your success. And you're paying it forward for the next generation, who will take care of you as you age.

it gives everyone the opportunity to succeed and protects everyone and educates everyone. i just now have the pleasure of paying more than the guy next to me and the guy next to him pay for the same services. i guess i have to file this one under the "nice problem to have" category.

When families are confrontational and every one wants the last word. Being right is more important than negative consequences. Hurtful words could never be unheard. Decades of resentments and unforgiving nature compounded with pride are the reasons why one does not seek or offer family help.

SoCal said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Hispanics don't mind accepting extended family members in need and forgiving to one another. Rather than letting the unfortunate ones be homeless. They would rather pack a bunch of people into one house.

Totally agree with you. Asians & Hispanics are "Ride or Die" families. That's what I like about them. White families are so different! (Italians can be an exception.)

There is NO expectation of help from family in most cases unless they are very wealthy - but even then, no guarantee. Parents want kids to make it on their OWN. In that case, trust funds and wills are often arranged that it is not used as a crutch in the young years. If help is given, it is above & beyond the call of duty & they expect the family member to recognize & greatly appreciate that. Help is often a 1-time thing. They also like to keep score of who helped who. Parents do not expect the kids to care for them when they are old. But it cuts both ways. When the kids are 18 or even sooner, they're encouraged to be independent. Need clothes? Gas? I'm not an ATM. Need a down payment for your house? Earn it. Need college tuition? Get a second job, take out a loan, go to a vocational school, join the military, whatever - college is not crucial. They are much more independent. There is no safety net. Parents say, "My house does not have a revolving door." That's good when it pays off but not when the chips are down. They do not consider it normal to live at home with mommy when you are 30 years old. No multi-generational living except Boomerang Kids in a really, really tough economy with very generous parents. They believe the "baby birdie has to be shoved out of the nest to find its own way in the world".

Also, white people will give you the AXE for ANY reason or NO reason at all! They can be very cold. Friends & family - They will drop them all like a hot potato! They will disown anybody and use the word "toxic" to make themselves feel ok about that. I.e. "Oh, my son, daughter, and neighbors are toxic to me. So, I don't talk to them anymore. That's ok. I have my cats."

The kids - young & grown - have to be very resourceful. The plus is, they get that sense of achievement because they owe nothing to nobody, they did it all on their own. That was their parents' whole point all along. You pull yourself up by the boot straps & you DO it. That is how you become a responsible adult. Then they raise their kids with the same gift, the same message: "Nobody in this world owes you a THING." And the cycle repeats.

I dare say that if families, particularly "caucasian" families, and volunteer charitable organizations such as churches, etc, were behaving as they should, a government grabbing 50% of your productive income would be a more difficult sale.

Back