Asian American Violence

Some friends went to a range out in Rancho and pinged me their web page.  Wow.  I have mixed feelings about using pictures of elderly Asian victims of violence for their promotions.  But I won't fault them for providing free self defense seminars.  Next one is on 4/18 with Chinese and Korean translators avail.
https://www.magnumrange.com/

The Boston Globe just publish a survey with interesting results.

-80% of Asian Americans report experiencing discrimination

-37% of white Americans say they were unaware of increase in hate crimes against Asian Americans

-46% of Republicans report being unaware of growing anti-Asian hate, compared to 22% of Democrats

-Fewer than 1 in 4 Asian Americans feel respected in the US

-Close to 1 in 4 white Americans do not believe that anti-Asian racism is a problem that needs to be addressed

-20% of Americans believe Asian Americans are more loyal to their countries of origin than the US

The cherry on top seems to be this - The most common answer was "don't know" when asked who's a prominent Asian American. The second most-common answer was Jackie Chan (11%), followed by Bruce Lee (9%).
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/05...wed-by-jackie-chan-bruce-lee-wake-up-america/

Kenkoko said:
The Boston Globe just publish a survey with interesting results.

-80% of Asian Americans report experiencing discrimination

-37% of white Americans say they were unaware of increase in hate crimes against Asian Americans

-46% of Republicans report being unaware of growing anti-Asian hate, compared to 22% of Democrats

-Fewer than 1 in 4 Asian Americans feel respected in the US

-Close to 1 in 4 white Americans do not believe that anti-Asian racism is a problem that needs to be addressed

-20% of Americans believe Asian Americans are more loyal to their countries of origin than the US

The cherry on top seems to be this - The most common answer was "don't know" when asked who's a prominent Asian American. The second most-common answer was Jackie Chan (11%), followed by Bruce Lee (9%).
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/05...wed-by-jackie-chan-bruce-lee-wake-up-america/

These are very favorable results presented by the globe in a negative way to make things seem much worse.  You can simply take the converse result of each stat and it paints a far different picture:

-Over 3 in 4 white Americans believe that anti-Asian racism is a problem.

-80% percent of Americans believe AA's are more loyal to the US than their countries of origin.

-54% of Republicans and 78% of Democrats are aware of anti-Asian hate.

-63% of white Americans are aware of an increase in hate crimes against AA's.

Concerning who is a prominent AA, the most common answer was "don't know", but that was presumably a small percent of responses and not surprising given the open-ended nature of the survey question.  Answers like "other" or "I don't know" will always have a higher chance of being the top answer in an open-ended survey question like this, because of the unlimited number of possible responses.

So here we have another example of interpreting the motives and beliefs of others as being racist, even when the evidence does not back that up and clearly shows the opposite.

I think it's obvious that the Boston Globe's spin on this is in support of their left leaning narrative. We're in agreement here.

But I disagree with this being "very favorable results" , certainly not as an Asian American.

Do you honestly expect AAs to view "54% of Republicans are aware of anti-Asian hate" as very favorable results? 

This a public safety issue that's also deeply personal to AAs.

84% of voters, including 77% of Republicans, support requiring all gun purchasers to go through a background check. That is what I'd call a "very favorable result"

I think the #1 takeaway from this poll should be that 80% of Asian Americans feel a lack of respect and a sense of discrimination from fellow Americans.

I noticed the glaring omission from your post, but I appreciate the fact that you didn't try to spin this.

About naming a prominent AA 42% said "don't know". It's not a small percent.

Even if you ignore that, and skip to the #2 most common answer - Jackie Chan. He's not even American.

And Bruce Lee has been dead for almost 50 years!

Talk about a slap in the face to AAs.

Anti-Asian hate crimes spiked 567% in San Francisco in 2021:
One man who targeted Chinese-owned businesses committed more than half the attacks

Hate crimes targeting Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the California city, jumped to 60 last year from from just nine in 2020 and eight in 2019...

Scott said 31 of the 60 reported attacks were committed by one man. He did not name the culprit but police later pointed to the arrest last August of 36-year-old Derik Barreto who rode around San Francisco on a scooter, vandalizing Chinese-owned businesses for five months until he was captured.

He faces 33 charges including 31 hate crime enhancements the DA's office brought based on statements he allegedly made to police implying he targeted Asians.

53402521-10444417-Preliminary_numbers_indicated_hate_crimes_targeting_Asian_Americ-a-1_1643231896963.jpg
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...isco-2021-One-man-responsible-31-attacks.html

So in 2019 and 2020, while Trump was president, there was no spike in Asian hate crimes.  Once Biden was elected, it was all over for Asians in the Bay Area.

Questions Raised After Suspect In Numerous Attacks On San Francisco Asian Businesses Found To Be Out Of Custody
Questions are being raised after a man accused of being involved in more than half of the hate crimes committed against the API community last year was allowed to be out of custody despite the number of charges against him.

According to the San Francisco District Attorney?s office, 37-year-old Derik Barreto is the man responsible for more than half of all reported hate crimes against the API community in San Francisco last year.

Barreto is scheduled to appear in court at the end of the month.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...inesses-found-to-be-out-of-custody/ar-AATbr9E

So thankfully, Derik Barreto has been arrested and San Francisco should see a drop in Asian hate crimes in 2022, but unfortunately he is still walking the streets while awaiting trial.

Calabasas sucker puncher attacked 14-year-old boy from behind and hit him in the back of the head just hours before knocking out grandfather walking 10-month-old walking baby in stroller near Kardashian home​

78662841-12838857-A_man_who_was_walking_his_10_month_old_granddaughter_in_a_stroll-a-43_1701983321114.jpg

78662863-12838857-The_grandfather_in_his_60s_eventually_manages_to_stagger_back_to-a-60_1701984692579.jpg

78706665-12838857-Nathan_Manyari_14_said_he_too_was_attacked_within_hours_and_yard-a-61_1701984692584.jpg

A teenage boy has spoken of the moment he too was attacked by the man accused of flattening a random senior while he was walking his 10-month-old granddaughter in a star-studded California neighborhood.

Angel Sanchez Jr, 29, was arrested on Wednesday afternoon when horrifying footage emerged of a heavily built man walking casually up to his target before punching him to the ground and sending his baby's stroller sprawling in the process.

Nathan Manyari, 14, told ABC7 that the man also attacked him and left with a split lip that same afternoon as he went to his gym class, just yards away from the other attack in the LA suburb of Calabasas.

'He grabbed my collarbone area, pulled me back, tried hitting the back of my head and kneeing my face, too,' said Nathan.

'I protected myself. My lip got a little busted. He just walked away after that, and I just ran to my gym because I saw my coach.'

Los Angeles Police have refused to release a booking photo of Sanchez but have connected both attacks that they fear may have been racially motivated.

'Although both victims of the assaults were of Asian descent, the motive for the attacks is currently under investigation,' police said in a statement.

Back