Art Class for Kids in Irvine or South OC

Meatball_IHB

My 6 year old girl is constantly drawing pictures and doing crafty projects of her own invention like everyday. Many friends suggested me to start sending her to art classes after seeing her projects. They thought her drawings are not ordinary at this age and could have a future in the arts. I am not a parent who has high hope that my kids would be outstanding or even superstars upon seeing any trace of talents in their activities. Therefore I ignored their suggestion as I think she doesn?t really need art class at this age. Until today I read another mom?s article about hoping her children to be just mediocre and that changed my perspective. Anyway my question is to all of you who know a good art class or teacher for kids in Irvine or South OC to give me some directions.

About the necessity of art classes, I am still debating but the thoughts now are though I do not need to hope she becomes a great artist but I should still support her to get more pleasure from the things that she does well, as long as it stays within the limitation of our budget. . I figured if she learns more techniques or ways to create arts possibly she is gonna enjoy even more from the creative activities and extend it as one of the life long interests. The other side of thinking is that I?ve spent a lot on piano and swimming lesions and that already keep her very busy. With our limited budget maybe we will support her art class later when she is more mature. Your thoughts? Are your little ones taking art classes?

Yes --- our 5 year old daughter has been taking classes at Kim Art School (Jeffrey/Walnut) for a year now, and she loves it! We have been very happy with that school, and some of the pieces she brings home are almost mind-boggling that they came from a 5 year old. We have framed and hung many of them in our house. She is so proud of her work, it just fuels her desire to do more. Even outside of the art class we have seen the influence of her time at Kim Art Studio. Looking at the art projects hanging on the walls in her Kindergarten class, her art projects are more advanced than most others, despite the fact she is one of the youngest in her class.

The classes are two hours per week, we do 9am-11am Saturday morning. Highly encourage you to check it out. If you like and decide to enroll, please PM me...I'll split the referral bonus (its 20% on a three month enrollment) with you.

<a href="http://www.kimartschool.com/">Kim Art School</a>

Oh and you mentioned swimming too, let me know if you need a referral to Waterworks Aquatics ;) We actually do art and swimming back to back on Saturday mornings.

[quote author="CK" date=1244263687]Yes --- our 5 year old daughter has been taking classes at Kim Art School (Jeffrey/Walnut) for a year now, and she loves it! We have been very happy with that school, and some of the pieces she brings home are almost mind-boggling that they came from a 5 year old. We have framed and hung many of them in our house. She is so proud of her work, it just fuels her desire to do more. Even outside of the art class we have seen the influence of her time at Kim Art Studio. Looking at the art projects hanging on the walls in her Kindergarten class, her art projects are more advanced than most others, despite the fact she is one of the youngest in her class.

The classes are two hours per week, we do 9am-11am Saturday morning. Highly encourage you to check it out. If you like and decide to enroll, please PM me...I'll split the referral bonus (its 20% on a three month enrollment) with you.

<a href="http://www.kimartschool.com/">Kim Art School</a>

Oh and you mentioned swimming too, let me know if you need a referral to Waterworks Aquatics ;) We actually do art and swimming back to back on Saturday mornings.</blockquote>

I also will be looking into art class for my 11 year old daughter, and swimming classes for a couple of the kids. Can you PM so that I have your info and the details to do that referral split thingy. THANKS

CK-

When you your kids go on Sat mornings? We go Tues and Sundays, but changed the Sundays to Saturdays at 8 am

[quote author="JoonB" date=1244271690]CK-

When you your kids go on Sat mornings? We go Tues and Sundays, but changed the Sundays to Saturdays at 8 am</blockquote>

JoonB....To art or swimming? Art school at 9am; swimming at 12:00pm.

Thank you CK for the nice information and offer to split the referral bonus. Does the school offer the first free trial class? From the website it loosk really nice but if they can let us try it would be even better. I'll also call the school to find it out and PM you if we decide to go. And we need the swimming school information too but doing two classes back to back on Sat. would be something that I would avoid. I am still thinking......

[quote author="Meatball" date=1244503878]Thank you CK for the nice information and offer to split the referral bonus. Does the school offer the first free trial class? From the website it loosk really nice but if they can let us try it would be even better. I'll also call the school to find it out and PM you if we decide to go. And we need the swimming school information too but doing two classes back to back on Sat. would be something that I would avoid. I am still thinking......</blockquote>

Yes, the art school definitely does let you do a free trial class --- that's how we got started there. Good luck!

[quote author="furious sugar" date=1244613392]You should also check out the Irvine Fine Arts Center - They have many different programs and the prices are really reasonable.</blockquote>

Irvine Fine Arts Center - 949-724-6880

You can try drop in classes to see if you like it

Super Saturdays, ages 5-11 Every Saturday, 1-3pm, $15 (no class 7/4, 9/5)

Explore drawing, painting, printmaking and more! Each week we offer exploration in two different art lesosns in a variety of media. have fun creating your own masterpieces. Art supplies provided Please bring your own snack.

Note: there is a vending machine in the courtyard if you forget the snack

They (Irvine Fine Arts Center) also offer a drop in clay class that is really fun- I think it costs $15 and includes the clay, firing, and glazes. You can come back multiple times to complete your project and they don't charge you. It is WAY cheaper than Color Me Mine and is great for the little kids that value the experience of making the project more than the project itself. I have several expensive "masterpieces" from Color Me Mine in the closet collecting dust!

I just came across the art classes offered through the Orange County School of Arts. <a href="http://www.ocsarts.net/Page.aspx?pid=359">Class info here</a>

The next session starts Oct 3rd. Below are the offerings

Community Arts Programs

Saturday Classes

Ballroom Dance (Grades 3-8)

Dance for Fun, Fun, Fun (Grades 4-8)

Musical Theatre Training (Grades 4-9)

2D and 3D Painting, Drawing, Sculpture (Grades 4-8)

Guitar Program (Grades 3-8)

Back