Arlen Specter (D!!!-PA)

Yikes - Arlen Specter is crossing over to the dark side! Must watch Fox News and MSNBC tonight!

<a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_on_go_co/us_specter_switch">http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_on_go_co/us_specter_switch</a>

he was being challenged by some whacky-right pro lifer for the rep nomination. continuing the wholesale slaughter of the moderate reps.

pretty soon the reps are going to be like Le Pen's party in France.

Pretty smart move on his part.

He would probably lose in the republican primary anyway in his next re election bid. So why not flip hoping to win the democrat primary.

With the Republican ship sinking. More and more are swimming away

to save themselves while they still can.

Its great the Republicans Filibuster over "Abortion" on the

HHS Secretary Confirmation while we have a National Health Crisis pending.

Got to save some unborn Fetus. Nevermind a possible Pandemic.

All they have left is the religious right to pander upon.

Everyone else has jumped ship.

bltserv,

Sure. No conservatives left except for religious whackos. Right. Conservatives are everywhere and get used to it b/c we aren't jumping ship. I know it's hard to believe, but many people truly believe in conservative ideology and not liberal ideology.

Nothing wrong with being conservative. Or Conservative ideas.

FYI: I am voting NO on all the California Initiatives.

Screw the Prison and Teacher unions.

But as a Political Party.

The Republican Party is breathing its last gasps.

Their time to lead is over. They can follow or get out of the way.

[quote author="4walls4me" date=1240973053]bltserv,

Sure. No conservatives left except for religious whackos. Right. Conservatives are everywhere and get used to it b/c we aren't jumping ship. I know it's hard to believe, but many people truly believe in conservative ideology and not liberal ideology.</blockquote>

<blockquote>In a statement, Specter said, "Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. <strong>Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats.</strong> I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans." </blockquote>

<a href="http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1894384,00.html">Arlen Specter's Statement.</a>

If the Republican Party is going to survive, it has to: (1) appeal to independents, (2) appeal to social liberals who are fiscally conservative, and (3) distance itself from the Christian right. As soon as McCain selected Palin, I knew the election was over.

This is the guy who invented the Single Bullet Hypothesis in JFK's case...

But, yeah, what the heck.

"Kid, watch out for the 'conservative' who decries big government and then tells you what you can put in your body, when you should pray, and where you can put your johnson. And kid, follow the money."

[quote author="bltserv" date=1240971578]All they have left is the religious right to pander upon.</blockquote>

I think you're wrong here. The religous right wasn't the reason Specter left (he's been a pro choice Republican for, like, forever) - rather, it was these guys.

<a href="http://www.clubforgrowth.org/">http://www.clubforgrowth.org/</a>

You can't be a moderate Republican in the current enviroment. You either switch parties or get your lunch handed to you in the primaries for not being "Blue" enough.

If the Republican party is dead will they run every election with two democrats or do we just hand the winner of the Democratic primaries the seat or post they are running for?

What the Republicans need to do find some younger more energitic candidates. No offense to McCain or the other republican candidates none of them could match Obama's star power.

I think we are prematurely burying the Republican party. Over the last 40 years starting with Nixon in 69 there have been 5 Republican presidents and 2 Deomocrats.(that doesn't include Obama, he would be the third) Those two democrats served a total of 12 years. The political climate has swayed back and forth over that time with each party picking up and losing voters.

The success of each party is drawing the people from the middle ground. Sometimes a party actually pushes those people to the other party. I think Bush's popularity or lack there of pushed people away from the Republican party. Obama can very well do the same or another candidate can come through and pull them to the republican party.

The right wing whacko, religious nut are just a stereotype the party needs to dispatch.

[quote author="trrenter" date=1241046059]

The right wing whacko, religious nut are just a stereotype the party needs to dispatch.</blockquote>

It's not a stereotype, its a voting base that the top Reps <strong>play to all the time</strong> to appease. It's a real problem, not an image thing.

I'm personally still waiting for a new party that embodied what the reps used to be more than 100 years ago. Fiscal responsibility, personal liberties, and a HEALTHY separation of all things church from state.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1241046401][quote author="trrenter" date=1241046059]

The right wing whacko, religious nut are just a stereotype the party needs to dispatch.</blockquote>

It's not a stereotype, its a voting base that the top Reps <strong>play to all the time</strong> to appease. It's a real problem, not an image thing.

I'm personally still waiting for a new party that embodied what the reps used to be more than 100 years ago. Fiscal responsibility, personal liberties, and a HEALTHY separation of all things church from state.</blockquote>

I totally agree on this. How conservative mantra has made Abortion and Gay Rights

the key issues of the Party Platform is its undoing. Holding back on confirming the

governor of Kansas because she believed in a "Womans Right to Choose" shows how the

GOP is pandering to the Religious "Base". Mention "Late Term Abortion" and next she is called

a supporter of murder.

<a href="http://choosethehero.com/mccain-palin-updates/stop-hhs-secretary-nominee-sebelius-in-her-pro-death-tracks">http://choosethehero.com/mccain-palin-updates/stop-hhs-secretary-nominee-sebelius-in-her-pro-death-tracks</a>

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1241046401][quote author="trrenter" date=1241046059]

I'm personally still waiting for a new party that embodied what the reps used to be more than 100 years ago. Fiscal responsibility, personal liberties, and a HEALTHY separation of all things church from state.</blockquote>

The stereotype is that the entire party is filled with right wing whacko's and religious nuts. Do they exist in the party absolutely just like there are left wing whacko's in the Democratic party.

It seems that the Democrats are able to capitalize more on the negatives of the far right then the Republicans are able to capatilize on the negatives of the far left.

The Democratic party has been able to demonize the "religious" whacko's who oppose a womans choice. I don't know how any person that considers themselves Christian separates their religious beliefs from their political beleifs. Depending on what poll you beleive a pretty big majority of Americans are Christian.

I am not a religious person. I wonder to myself though how anyone that goes to church on Sunday can vote for a Democrat.

I think that may be why anyone that opposes the Democrats based on a womans choice is a whacko. Bold move that works for the party.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1241048815][quote author="MojoJD" date=1241046401][quote author="trrenter" date=1241046059]

I totally agree on this. How conservative mantra has made Abortion and Gay Rights

the key issues of the Party Platform is its undoing. Holding back on confirming the

governor of Kansas because she believed in a "Womans Right to Choose" shows how the

GOP is pandering to the Religious "Base". Mention "Late Term Abortion" and next she is called

a supporter of murder.

<a href="http://choosethehero.com/mccain-palin-updates/stop-hhs-secretary-nominee-sebelius-in-her-pro-death-tracks">http://choosethehero.com/mccain-palin-updates/stop-hhs-secretary-nominee-sebelius-in-her-pro-death-tracks</a></blockquote>

I don't want to segway into a religious discussion but any Christian based faith is opposed to Abortion. Just because someone choses to adhere strictly to their faith does not make them a whacko. Right to life is a mantra of the party that "should" draw in more voters then it does.

That is why I get pissed off on Sunday mornings in California. These people line up to go to church screw up my traffic in certain areas then vote Democrat.

No, not every christian based faith is opposed to abortion. Some prevalant interpretarions are. There is no sacred scripture directly opposed to abortion. Even the bible is a select compilation of MANY more books than you find in the King James version, which have been interpreted and re-interpreted many times. Then re-translated. The texts lose meaning and modern interpreters add their own meanings. Also, many of the books in the new testament were not committed to paper until many decades after the last person alive to witness events had died, leaving much to oral tradition/storytelling passage in the mean time.

There are also historical accounts of scholared hebrew monks FABRICATING large parts of old testament texts because they were perceived as incomplete!!! They would actually find a name with no backstory, decide that this doesnt make sense to mention someone by name without knowing what he did or who he is, so they would... you guessed it... create a story to explain who this new character is. In their all-knowing wisdom as scholars who are familiar with the other stories, they would actually declare that they know what WOULD be said about someone like this, and create.

Do not cling to your religious views as a means of justifying your desire to impose your own "morality" on other people.

Also, there are those who may believe the exact same things as you regarding abortion, but hold the principles of a free society in high regard; allowing those people to choose for themselves. Religion is a personal choice, and I see no reason why what you decide to do with your life means that you must vote in a way politically to force others to do the same.

I am not Christian I am Agnostic. The reason I am not religious is because it is my opinion that many of the people I know that are "religious" don't necessarily walk the walk.

I am not even arguing if abotion is right or wrong, by the way I do believe in a woman's right to chose, but I am not saying I am right.

What I am saying is that any Christian based faith that does beleive that abortion is a sin or against their religion should be catered to by the Republicans because that is a huge voting block if they were to truly walk the walk.

The problem seems to be that they are not walking the walk. I am absolutely positive that not every Roman Catholic did not vote Republican. Nancy Pelosi didn't.

Well, as I see it, every "devout" Christian should give up the deed to their house and liquidate all of their savings to give to the homeless and hungry, fly to Africa, and lead a life in poverty just to help other people, right? haha. I never could get a straight answer from a priest when asking why they have such an expensive church when, if they sold it, they could feed so many starving people for so many years. Hypocrisy is the name of the game, in both religion and politics.

Why is it that "abortion" is the only litmus test?

What about state sponsored killing via the death penalty? via war?

What about taking care of the poor? Respecting the weak?

I can see many reasons why people of various faiths, including xtians, might vote for the Democratic party.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1241051613]Well, as I see it, every "devout" Christian should give up the deed to their house and liquidate all of their savings to give to the homeless and hungry, fly to Africa, and lead a life in poverty just to help other people, right? haha. I never could get a straight answer from a priest when asking why they have such an expensive church when, if they sold it, they could feed so many starving people for so many years. Hypocrisy is the name of the game, in both religion and politics.</blockquote>

I agree but someone should try to take these votes. Again I am not trying to defend someone here which side of Hypocrisy do they prefer? Political or Religious.

Back