Arg! Heart rate monitor advice

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1232709356]

Tenmagnet: note that I said "Stepmill" and not "Stairmaster."

The difference? Well, kind of like how a fish is different than a piece of paper. As in, no comparison! Most non-exercising people can't last 5 minutes on a Stepmill on Level 1. When I was in shape, I used to do LSD (Long Slow Distance) on Sundays, 120 minutes at Level 10. Now, I did 45 minutes at Level 4 this morning and suffered all day long from having overdone it.

If you think I'm kidding, then I challenge you. Go to the local 24 hour fitness or LA fitness and find a Stepmill. You can't miss them - they are huge and look like little escalators. Set one for Level 10 for 30 minutes on your choice of programs. Then come back and tell us how easy it is!</blockquote>

Be serious!

Of course I?m familiar with that machine, and agree it?s a fantastic workout.

Not many people use it because it?s so difficult.

They're always open at the gym.

It allows you to also monitor your heart rate on it as well.

I do 30-45 minutes at level 7, fat burning mode after I?ve already run 5K.

Set up a challenge, bring a lunch because it?s going to be a long day for you.

Let me know what I'll get when I win, it better be good.

Don't waste my time!

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1232767567][quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1232709356]

The difference? Well, kind of like how a fish is different than a piece of paper. As in, no comparison! Most non-exercising people can't last 5 minutes on a Stepmill on Level 1. When I was in shape, I used to do LSD (Long Slow Distance) on Sundays, 120 minutes at Level 10. Now, I did 45 minutes at Level 4 this morning and suffered all day long from having overdone it.

If you think I'm kidding, then I challenge you. Go to the local 24 hour fitness or LA fitness and find a Stepmill. You can't miss them - they are huge and look like little escalators. Set one for Level 10 for 30 minutes on your choice of programs. Then come back and tell us how easy it is!</blockquote>

Be serious!

Don't waste my time!</blockquote>

That's kidstuff, Ten. If you want a real workout, drink heavily tonight, and then ride with the 7 C's to Laguna Beach tomorrow, followed by a fast-paced climb up Newport Coast.

[quote author="profette" date=1232785521]

That's kidstuff, Ten. If you want a real workout, drink heavily tonight, and then ride with the 7 C's to Laguna Beach tomorrow, followed by a fast-paced climb up Newport Coast.</blockquote>

You know I can?t handle that.

Besides, it?s scheduled to rain tomorrow.

Why don?t we skip the ride, hit the gym and grab a Chai tea latte afterward.

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1232785930][quote author="profette" date=1232785521]

That's kidstuff, Ten. If you want a real workout, drink heavily tonight, and then ride with the 7 C's to Laguna Beach tomorrow, followed by a fast-paced climb up Newport Coast.</blockquote>

You know I can?t handle that.

Besides, it?s scheduled to rain tomorrow.

Why don?t we skip the ride, hit the gym and grab a Chai tea latte afterward.</blockquote>

RAIN?? pffft...the 7C's ride even faster when it's wet!!

Prof climbs Newport Coast like a (female) Billy Goat..she's amazing, especially with a hangover..

Wait, I've never seen her ride without a Hangover come to think of it...

Thanks, Ten. I have a weakness for Chai, especially after drinking and dancing, etc. all night. Actually, the

weather should be good in the morning. As for Pete's comment: I may be hungover, but at least I don't smoke <em>on</em> the bike! I have to admit, even with a ciggy, Pete's faster up that infamous hill than I am.

[quote author="profette" date=1232787980]Thanks, Ten. I have a weakness for Chai, especially after drinking and dancing, etc. all night. Actually, the

weather should be good in the morning. As for Pete's comment: I may be hungover, but at least I don't smoke <em>on</em> the bike! I have to admit, even with a ciggy, Pete's faster up that infamous hill than I am.</blockquote>
Peter Puffin' Power?

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1232767567][quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1232709356]

Be serious!

Don't waste my time!</blockquote>

Ten - I was in fact being serious. And you are too full of testosterone which is not very attractive and is dampering your reading comprehension ability. Nowhere did I even come close to suggesting that I could beat you (or anyone else!) in a cardio competition. I am not close to being in shape - not like I was when I did 2 hours at Level 10 with added intervals at Level 15 thrown in just for fun. What I said was, don't slam my comment about the Stepmill. It's not a Stairmaster, and is better than running for someone like me - immediate, intense cardio, mega-sweating, no-impact, easy to distract yourself.

So don't worry, I'm not going to waste any more of your precious time.

So I ended up with a Polar F6 (a pink one, 'cause that's how I roll :kiss: ).

I am having fun experimenting. I discovered that I burn almost 200 calories driving to Oxnard without too much LA traffic. I am also in the middle of my first workday experiment. I'm leaving it on all day to see how many calories I really burn just doing my thing all day. I've been sick, so tonight may be my first actual workout experiment.

Thanks for all the advice!

[quote author="caycifish" date=1233120406]So I ended up with a Polar F6 (a pink one, 'cause that's how I roll :kiss: ).

I am having fun experimenting. I discovered that I burn almost 200 calories driving to Oxnard without too much LA traffic. I am also in the middle of my first workday experiment. I'm leaving it on all day to see how many calories I really burn just doing my thing all day. I've been sick, so tonight may be my first actual workout experiment.

Thanks for all the advice!</blockquote>

You burn 1/2 calorie per pound per hour per day. (Apparently your heart rate is elevated while driving. :) )

[quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1233148238]

You burn 1/2 calorie per pound per hour per day. (Apparently your heart rate is elevated while driving. :) )</blockquote>

I drive manual transmission, so traffic makes me work. :p

Things I learned today:

Computer use is not much more work than chillin' on the couch once I get settled in.

The bike is nearly useless. So is going for a walk.

I'm amazed at how long my heart rate stays elevated after I hop on the treadmill for 1 2/3 miles. An hour later an it's still about a third above resting.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1233185433][quote author="caycifish" date=1233120406]

I am having fun experimenting. I discovered that I burn almost 200 calories driving to Oxnard without too much LA traffic. </blockquote>

Can you tell me how many calories you burn while sleeping? How about mid-day nap? What about eating a bowl of steamy, hot & sour soup? LOL</blockquote>

:p

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1232794187]

Ten - I was in fact being serious. And you are too full of testosterone which is not very attractive and is dampering your reading comprehension ability. Nowhere did I even come close to suggesting that I could beat you (or anyone else!) in a cardio competition. I am not close to being in shape - not like I was when I did 2 hours at Level 10 with added intervals at Level 15 thrown in just for fun. What I said was, don't slam my comment about the Stepmill. It's not a Stairmaster, and is better than running for someone like me - immediate, intense cardio, mega-sweating, no-impact, easy to distract yourself.

So don't worry, I'm not going to waste any more of your precious time.</blockquote>

Where?s your sense of humor?

I agree with you about the Stepmill and it?s high degree of difficulty.

Since when are being confident and competitive considered unattractive qualities.

Did they not teach ?closing? in that MBA program?

Great looking, successful guys are dominant and don?t fold under any circumstances.

Change up your approach and you may land one.

Who knows?

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1233218768]

Since when are being confident and competitive considered unattractive qualities.

</blockquote>

When it nuke's the fridge and becomes mere bravado. :)

Back to the Heart Rate thread . . .

Petah, what is your resting heart rate?

I'm curious because I know you exercise a lot.

Or anyone else for that matter.

I believe Lance Armstrong has a resting heart rate of about 30-35. :bug:

I think I'd be dead at that rate.

Back