Apple Shares

GraceOMalley_IHB

Although Apple has denied it inside the industry its known that Steve Jobs is sick again. (cancer) Since there is no clear frontrunner visionary to replace him should he die, its caused a lot of speculation as to who would take over if Jobs becomes incapacitated or passes away.

^ When nerd humor goes awry. ;)

Are there any rumors to their next big thing? The stock is priced for strong growth. Where will they go from here? New product? New markets? Both?

Apple's issues have much less to do with the health of Steve Jobs and far more to do with the amount of the discretionary income held by their customers. Their computers are not cheap (compared to PC options), their iPhone requires an expensive service contract with AT&T ($70/month minimum) to be of any use, and the iPod has reached a saturation point (new devices not enough of an improvement to cause immediate replacement.

As Daedalus implied, those factors all add up to slow/no growth in a declining economic environment. Combining that with layoffs and decreases in enterprise spending, in addition to the consumer slowdown, gets you a general decline in the stock price of the gadget makers.

actually, the computers are cheaper than equivalent winblows models, spec'd similarly. plus, no virus protection/less support needed

iPhone works as part of a family plan, so no more expensive than any other cell phone

ipod future is iTouch (wifi-surfing device with music) and nano, i guess.

for these reasons, i think apple will do similarly poorly as all other computer/consumer goods. but i do think this whole sector is in for a world of hurt.

i picked up some more shares today after the 777 drop yesterday. i might be biased b/c i've been loyal since the green screen apple computers. but have you gone into the apple stores recently? still packed, when every other store is empty. this is one company you know will rebound some point in the future.

Back