APAAS

Irvine949

does anyone have any info on 4-6th grade APAAS program? I hear students are required to be very independent learners. How else is it different from the traditional classroom?

There's been a few threads discussing APAAS on here - use the search function. In the meantime before other experts chime in, here's an article from a few months ago from the Northwood High newspaper:
APAAS varies *widely* depending on the school site location and your teacher. Coupled with the temperament of your child, it can be amazing or the worst thing. YMMV.

I feel so fortunate to have grown up in the 70s/80s in Pasadena with MGM - Mentally Gifted Minors. Those that passed the IQ test were placed in the Gifted class from 4th grade all the way through HS. This was the PUSD’s mechanism to mitigate the white flight incurred by forced busing - segregation by IQ. These classes were actually somewhat diverse and a laboratory in pure merit. We all called the non-G classes the dumb classes - can you imagine doing that now? Of course Little League doesn’t allow the “hey batter batter” chant anymore either - snowflake generation. But I digress…My neighborhood was beautiful, in the vicinity of the Father of The Bride house, but the public schools were 80% black/Hispanic (not just Mexican, many refugees from the civil wars in Central America). I was mixing it up with homeboys from the King’s Manor projects wearing braids and khakis 15 yrs before Snoop sang about it! it’s no surprise Pasadena has the most private schools of any city in CA. Poly is the best of the lot.

Once you got to HS those G classes were for English and History until 11th grade when AP took over. Honors classes were for the non-Gifted that didn’t want to take AP.

Needless to say the racism was intense and not without catalysts. At lunch everyday a different club would man a candy sale booth and one day senior year my briliiant friend who graduated from Caltech was attacked by one of the OGs just for fun - he flipped the table over and punched him. I witnessed one of the tougher white guys get held up at knifepoint and forced to rip out his car stereo and give it to the non-white guy with the knife. The best was coming out after practice and seeing a line of lowered trucks and OGs spread eagled on the front lawn of the school at gun point from the cops.

There's been a few threads discussing APAAS on here - use the search function. In the meantime before other experts chime in, here's an article from a few months ago from the Northwood High newspaper:
APAAS varies *widely* depending on the school site location and your teacher. Coupled with the temperament of your child, it can be amazing or the worst thing. YMMV.
Thank you for the article

Bumping this tread!
Anyone has any first hand experience with Eastshore APAAS?
My daughter got an offer for 6th grade there and I have to make a decision by Monday.

Back