APAAS - worth it?

DBtoOC

My daughter just got accepted into the APAAS program for next year.  I feel there's limited information online regarding what the APAAS program is.  Does anybody here have any experience with it and can provide any feedback?

I'm struggling to determine whether it's worth sending my kid to a different school, that is less convenient.  She's completely on board with going to a new, "advanced" program - even if it means leaving her friends behind. 

DBtoOC said:
My daughter just got accepted into the APAAS program for next year.  I feel there's limited information online regarding what the APAAS program is.  Does anybody here have any experience with it and can provide any feedback?

I'm struggling to determine whether it's worth sending my kid to a different school, that is less convenient.  She's completely on board with going to a new, "advanced" program - even if it means leaving her friends behind.

Kind of like GATE but you don't have to actually qualify for GATE. My daughter was in the program 25+ years ago at Santiago Hills. She liked it. Still has friends from that program she comes to see even though they are in different states. I think one of the teachers that was in the program when she was there is still there now.

Definitely worth it at Turtle Rock Elementary.  Not sure about other schools have heard mixed reviews.

The 4 and 6 grade teachers in particular at TR are outstanding, life changing educators.  Critical thinking and writing skills transformed.  Love of learning, curiosity nurtured. The friendships formed do last a lifetime for many. 

GATE is implemented as more busy work at TR, not true for AAPAS.

I've heard the same from other schools.  The quality of some of the teachers is at another level.

So this may be against the majority but I feel it's important that your kid go to the school near your home and make friends with local neighborhood kids if possible.

APAAS is good if one of the 6 schools is near you but I also think the additional "advanced" work for the GATE kids is sufficient.

And I believe APAAS stops at 6th grade. I feel like the GATE clusters in middle school are more helpful in getting you on an advanced path for high school (like how AP gets you further for college).

IHO makes fair points, depends on what you want for child, and what child wants

Almost everyone in the APAAS class is also GATE qualified, so no difference in terms of AP class qualification etc (Im not sure I know a single child who wasnt, at TR)

yes, MS is a bit of a backward step, several parents seek other options at that point, but obviously not realistic for all. APAAS kids tend to stick together thru MS/HS

ocbuyer said:
IHO makes fair points, depends on what you want for child, and what child wants

Almost everyone in the APAAS class is also GATE qualified, so no difference in terms of AP class qualification etc (Im not sure I know a single child who wasnt, at TR)

yes, MS is a bit of a backward step, several parents seek other options at that point, but obviously not realistic for all. APAAS kids tend to stick together thru MS/HS

APPAS stopped at 6th grade for my daughter. We didn't send my kids to the local MS (didn't have a good reputation at that time and the principal was horrible). The other kids in her class also did not go there, they were scattered thru other MS in Irvine. She gained a few friends when she went to IHS (year before NHS opened) and reunited with other APPAS kids. Amazingly they have stuck like glue to this day. My other two kids were in Montessori at Santiago Hills and despite the fact that they had the same kids in class year in and year out, they have NOT stuck at all with grade school friends.

APPAS encouraged group work which was not common at the time. Might have had something to do with it.

Both my kids were in APAAS and we loved the program. They made new friends there and those were very strong bonds. But I guess it depends on the kid too.

If you do not need to remind your kid about hw due, project deadlines, schedule of all their activities etc...then I think that kid is better off with APAAS. Kid should be self driven. And, from your OP it seems like your kid is.

Bumping the thread as I am in a similar dilemma.

My child got accepted to APAAS at Brywood. Our local school is Eastwood and we also have a younger child at Eastwood. APAAS at Brywood worth it or stick to Eastwood?

pick APAAS I would suggest.  Much better than Eastwood in my opinion. Eastwood is a very easy going school for kids. If you want your kid to be more academically focused, APAAS is better.

Last year, i missed getting the right info to enroll my child into APAAS.  Part of the reason was that 3rd grade Eastwood teacher never showed any interest to share info about APAAS. We tried this year - our child qualified but no space in APAAS.  After 3rd grade, getting into APAAS is dependent on space availability.

No, APPAS was not worth it.  My child went to TR APPAS program.  There were way too much useless, busy homework, projects etc. Homework was assigned on weekends as well, often assigned on Sunday afternoon, due at midnight.The educational model was quantity rather than quality.

Sunshine@777 said:
No, APPAS was not worth it.  My child went to TR APPAS program.  There were way too much useless, busy homework, projects etc. Homework was assigned on weekends as well, often assigned on Sunday afternoon, due at midnight.The educational model was quantity rather than quality.

Not true.  My child has never been assigned homework on a weekend, let alone homework DUE on a weekend.  The work is not "useless" or "busy"....seemed like quality work from my observation. 

Oh,BTW ... it's APAAS, not APPAS. 

We stopped mid application. Don't think our kid is a good fit/not motivated enough and 2 drop offs is impossible for us.  The quality/quantity varies at different APAAS locations so you'll hear different accounts of work volume.

Several friends had/have/will have their kids in APAAS.  One kid HATED it - was up late most nights finishing assignments, ended up dropping out and moved to private school. One loves it. One is starting in fall so who knows.

I think the program is not a one size fits all and no public school programs can provide that. If your kid enjoys all subjects, enjoys digging deeper into projects and don't mind a heavy workload then it is a good fit.  Personally I felt that the curriculum could use some updating, also I didn't care for the teaching style. However my son enjoyed it although he would get sad that he had to finish homework while he knows his nonAPPAS friends were out having a good time playing w/friends. He, however due to the vigorous program for the last 3 years of course work, he is much better prepared for middle school and much ahead compared to the rest of the class. So it really comes down to if it is a good fit.

I did APAAS for 2 years and then the typical track for 1 so I have a unique perspective. Overall, I think it is worth it. The biggest benefit is the advanced level. I'm trying to remember correctly but I believe my friends were doing algebra in 6th grade. In middle school, some students were bussed to Irvine High School to take geometry (typically, geometry is taken in sophomore year). Some of those kids are still my closest friends today, and they are some smart cookies.

Not true. My child has never been assigned homework on a weekend, let alone homework DUE on a weekend. The work is not "useless" or "busy"....seemed like quality work from my observation.

Oh,BTW ... it's APAAS, not APPAS.
Which school did your child attend for APAAS?

Back