Anyone shop at Sams Club?

locolocal

How do the prices compare to Costco?  Are things really cheaper?

I'm thinking of getting the $10/10 week membership to try it out since their gas is as cheap as Costco's but without the twenty minute line.

locolocal said:

I'm thinking of getting the $10/10 week membership to try it out since their gas is as cheap as Costco's but without the twenty minute line.

i understand things are tough, but i cant believe the number of people that wait in line at costco. My average fill up is about 13 gallons per week. not sure how much cheaper costco is, lets say $0.10/gallon, that is $1.30. there is no way in hell im waiting 5-20 minutes in line to save $1.30/week, $5.20/month, $67.60/year. Are things really that bad that people would waste time in line for that kind of money?

I always wonder how much gas is used by idling for 20 minutes.  People love lines and crowds.  Me too.  That's why I wait to tour every grand opening of a TIC housing  project or for a new iPhone or for a Kogi taco or for a brioche at 85C.  Everything is that much better after having to endure a wait.

qwerty said:
locolocal said:

i understand things are tough, but i cant believe the number of people that wait in line at costco. My average fill up is about 13 gallons per week. not sure how much cheaper costco is, lets say $0.10/gallon, that is $1.30. there is no way in hell im waiting 5-20 minutes in line to save $1.30/week, $5.20/month, $67.60/year. Are things really that bad that people would waste time in line for that kind of money?
Screw that BS, I only put Shell, Chevron, or Mobil in my car.  If I can't afford the extra $.10/gallon, I shouldn't be driving.

Are those brands really better for your car?  My car's pretty cheap so I usually on fill it with Arco or Costco (but haven't recently because even though I love lines there is such a thing as too much of a good thing).  I've never had any problems with my car, but maybe I could be getting better mileage?  When I use Shell I seem to get less miles per gallon so I don't know.  I'm all for saving $70/year.    Over a course of a lifetime, that adds up.

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
locolocal said:

Screw that BS, I only put Shell, Chevron, or Mobil in my car.  If I can't afford the extra $.10/gallon, I shouldn't be driving.

Good call--if you are using the M3 S65 V8 engine, only top tier gas is good enough. Don't risk it with the cheap stuff. Ideally would love to have ubiquitous 93 octane in California but that ain't happening. You can get 100 octane unleaded at Newport Hills 76 station on San Miguel Drive ~ $10/gallon.

Sam's Club is a little bit cheaper but not by much and not on everything. The layout is surprisingly almost identical to Costco.

Pro: better hours than Costco.

Con: Sam's Club doesn't carry any premium brands like Costco does. Generally, I feel like Costco has better quality stuff.

Gas is another discussion on its own. Different brands have different additives but same octane will be the same across different stations. As long as the recommended octane is used based on your engine compression ratio, it is fine.

I refuse to wait for Costco gas but I've put in Arco or even 11-7 gas before in a hurry. My engine compression's 11:1, I think USCs' even higher at 12:1, both NA.

Always wanted to try the 100 octane racing fuel though  :D

I used to have a Sam's membership when they were in Irvine. I liked the hours (opened at 7am for business card members) and the location was convenient... but it didn't have gas station.

As for Costco gas... I believe you also get the bonus cash for gas purchases which ends up being quite a bit. A fill-up on either of our cars is $70-100 per and over the course of a year, that pays for the Costco membership on top of the savings.

My parents used to have Sam's Club memberships.  I can't say anything about the prices, but I can say that Costco's return policy is 1000x better than Sam's Club (unless Sam's Club has changed in the last few years).  My mom bought some paper towels which would split between the plies and leave a lot of dust, so she tried returning it after using the first roll...they wouldn't accept it because it was missing a roll. From what I know about Costco, they would have gladly given a full refund.

Back