Anyone like that GuppyHouse?

PANDA_IHB

Wondering what you all think about GuppyHouse. They served fried rice on pineapple shells which I thought was creative.

The shaved ice there is good (large portions). I like the mango shaved ice.

I don't like their hot food dishes as much.

Have only tried their shaved ice. Pretty good and large portions but a small (serves about 4) is $12...too rich for me. They need to make a smaller size around $5 to $6.

Service sucks, food is okay, the inside feels crowded because of the bad layout, the outside is sometimes cold out at night even with the heaters.

Unfortunately it's one of the few places open for late night eats in "Irvine" so I do go there sometimes.

Service sucks at BCD Tofu House too, but I go there to change it up from Guppy House every now and then.

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1250720030]Have only tried their shaved ice. Pretty good and large portions but a small (serves about 4) is $12...too rich for me. They need to make a smaller size around $5 to $6.</blockquote>

Yes, us too on the shaved ice only. We actually tried to eat the hot food there once, but their incompetent staff was having such a hard time accommodating our party of 8 we just left and went across to Aijsen Ramen. We eat at Aijsen all the time, and used to go to Guppy for the shaved ice desert after. But since the gelato place opened we have not been back to Guppy House...

The shaved ice at Guppy House is good, but it's so big it's gimmicky. The food is OK.

Have you guys tried the shaved snow at The Balcony? Not the best version I've had, but it's rare to find in the US so it's worth a try.

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1250720030]Have only tried their shaved ice. Pretty good and large portions but a small (serves about 4) is $12...too rich for me. They need to make a smaller size around $5 to $6.</blockquote>

The price of Taiwan deli in so cal is obscene. People, this is street food. I'm used to paying no more than NT$30 for shaved ice, and that would be the good stuff with taro, grass jelly, and condensed milk. If they ever build the Portola Springs retail center, I will open a Tawan deli there.

Have any of you tried making your own shaved ice at home? It really isn't that hard. Put condensed milk and various fruits. Tada!!! You have Guppyhouse at home.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1250734373]Have any of you tried making your own shaved ice at home? It really isn't that hard. Put condensed milk and various fruits. Tada!!! You have Guppyhouse at home.</blockquote>

yah I got a shave ice machine at target for like $20 a couple years back. It was pretty easy like you said but the shave ice itself was still not as fine as those at the resturant. I guess you can't ask too much for $20.

[quote author="hehegrl" date=1250744254][quote author="PANDA" date=1250734373]Have any of you tried making your own shaved ice at home? It really isn't that hard. Put condensed milk and various fruits. Tada!!! You have Guppyhouse at home.</blockquote>

yah I got a shave ice machine at target for like $20 a couple years back. It was pretty easy like you said but the shave ice itself was still not as fine as those at the resturant. I guess you can't ask too much for $20.</blockquote>

There you go GIRL! Nothing like homemade shaved ice. You should check out HMART in Diamond Plaza. You don't want to get a shaved ice machine from Target. Yeah, it is really easy.. on top of the shaved ice you put some mangos, chopped strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, (even some watermelon and peaches) condensed milk (very important) and small chewy rice cakes. You will certainly impress your guests when you serve them one of these for desert.

<a href="http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_newsub.asp?p=8809019052022">http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_newsub.asp?p=8809019052022</a>

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1250733677][quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1250720030]Have only tried their shaved ice. Pretty good and large portions but a small (serves about 4) is $12...too rich for me. They need to make a smaller size around $5 to $6.</blockquote>

The price of Taiwan deli in so cal is obscene. People, this is street food. I'm used to paying no more than NT$30 for shaved ice, and that would be the good stuff with taro, grass jelly, and condensed milk. If they ever build the Portola Springs retail center, I will open a Taiwan deli there.</blockquote>

Are you sure? The location is pretty far off to the corner.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1250734373]Have any of you tried making your own shaved ice at home? It really isn't that hard. Put condensed milk and various fruits. Tada!!! You have Guppyhouse at home.</blockquote>

I used to make them with hand-cranked machine. Worked pretty well.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

Shaved ice in TW:

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

i only order one thing at guppy house, which is the minced pork on dry noodles. its very trad taiwanese comfort food that's pretty hard to ruin, even if its not nearly as good as what you'd find in the homeland. ok, the crispy taro balls are ok too.

i'm on board with hating the service there. both the employees and much of the clientele could use a few good slaps in the face to knock some sense into them.

I tried the pineapple rice on Sunday. I wasn't very impressed - it was bland. I did like their Gyozas. The pineapple fried rice at Banana Bay is a lot better.

Personally I like their beef noodle soup. Although the noodles are the skinny kind and not the fat kind, they are pretty generous with their beef. Yes, the service does suck, as they are mostly teenagers making close to minimum wage there. I heard the owner is a real schiezter who keeps most of the tip money.

We did try the new Thai place next to the gelato place. It was actually surprisingly good. We had the green curry chicken, pad thai, and black peppered beef. Portions were generous, and the curry had a good kick. I'd probably go back there over some of the restaurants in Diamond.

Have yet to try Balcony ice yet, although I love that kind of shaved ice. (Waiola's or Matsumoto's anyone?)

Guppy House is OK, nothing fancy. That said, it is definitely NOT worth the wait at the Irvine location. I used to work in Anaheim Hills so I'd visit that one, never a wait. If you have to wait more than 20 mins, skip it.

Back