Anyone like that 85 degrees bakery?

i hate that place, the stuff ain't better than other asian bakeries in irvine, the line is super long, their sea salt coffee sucks (i was in taiwan in april, that shit can be seriously good)...no idea why people keep going...

My wife and I love it...only complaint is that it is way too small and loud for a cafe feel. Wish they would have a second floor for people to sit down and relax.

I like their drinks...not overly sweet and the sea salt coffee is good and unique.

The breads and pastries are good...not a fan of all of them but definitely have my favorite. Price-wise, they are a great deal (compare their pastries and bread with what they offer at Starbucks...no contest.)

The lines are definitely a turn off but what can you do. Also, I think the management needs to become more "Americanize" with their registers. A lot of time the lines get long because they get backed up with the credit card machines (really, one CC machine for the two bread registers?). I think it's a Taiwanese/Asian thing since most transactions there are in cash versus with CC/debit cards.

I'm probably there at least once a week. Like others said, there are some items better than others, but for the most part I have not been completely disappointed in anything I've tried. I actually don't mind the crowds and the lines, makes it feel like kind of a "scene". Irvine needs more places that feel like they are something special and unique --- even if they really are nothing special. It's all about the perception created....somewhat like the Kogi truck.

I'm hopelessly addicted to 85 degrees. I like their Iced Peach Green Tea and the Almond Coconut Twist pastry. I'm there almost every day. The lines are long and waiting for your drinks takes a while too. Friends of mine who work at 7-11 and Famima would easily be able to make things 30% more efficient there. I'm sure bk has some insights on how they can make the experience better too. They need some of those CC machines that Chipotle has. I'm sure it costs more though and it sucks that they don't take AmEx. But I guess I should know better huh? ;)

I'm with CK on having more places like this.

[quote author="zovall" date=1250552855]

I'm with CK on having more places like this.</blockquote>

We know an investor in 85C, and have been *begging* for an expansion into the Marketplace...If we could get an 85C in that corner by Yogurtland, the Korean Noodle House, Thai Spice, Natraj Tandoori, and Daphne's then we would really have something....as long as the bank robbers stay away...

[quote author="CK" date=1250553469][quote author="zovall" date=1250552855]

We know an investor in 85C, and have been *begging* for an expansion into the Marketplace...If we could get an 85C in that corner by Yogurtland, the Korean Noodle House, Thai Spice, Natraj Tandoori, and Daphne's then we would really have something....as long as the bank robbers stay away...</blockquote>

I doubt that they would open another one so close...I would think that the next one would be in San Gabriel or Arcadia to get the full Asian effect.

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1250554127][quote author="CK" date=1250553469][quote author="zovall" date=1250552855]

We know an investor in 85C, and have been *begging* for an expansion into the Marketplace...If we could get an 85C in that corner by Yogurtland, the Korean Noodle House, Thai Spice, Natraj Tandoori, and Daphne's then we would really have something....as long as the bank robbers stay away...</blockquote>

I doubt that they would open another one so close...I would think that the next one would be in San Gabriel or Arcadia to get the full Asian effect.</blockquote>

I believe one in the Alhambra/Monterey Park/San Gabriel area is in the works.

Anyways, if BK has been there..he'd probably rip it a new one for the design/layout/spacing. One of the dumbest layouts ever but Asian people like cramped lines just the one the like causing traffic congestion in the parking lot.

PLUS THERE NEEDS TO BE AN ARROW...ONE WAY BEATCHES!!

Overall the food is okay if you're looking for a cheap quick snack.

My favs... the cheese bread, the tarot bread, green onion bread. Sea salt ice coffee is tasty too.

You should pass on the desserts..they look nice but it's that asian style dessert ...not rich at all.

[quote author="optimusprime" date=1250559361]Anyways, if BK has been there..he'd probably rip it a new one for the design/layout/spacing. One of the dumbest layouts ever but Asian people like cramped lines just the one the like causing traffic congestion in the parking lot.

PLUS THERE NEEDS TO BE AN ARROW...ONE WAY BEATCHES!!

Overall the food is okay if you're looking for a cheap quick snack.

My favs... the cheese bread, the tarot bread, green onion bread. Sea salt ice coffee is tasty too.

You should pass on the desserts..they look nice but it's that asian style dessert ...not rich at all.</blockquote>

The line sucks. It feels like the line waiting for a Disneyland ride. The focus is bakery and yet the space dedicated for that is less than a 1/4 of lea-sable area. The route to the restroom constitute excessive circulation as well as crossing over the customers in line waiting to order or pick up while I could hear the restroom activities and odor that is too vulgar to post here.

<blockquote>The line sucks. It feels like the line waiting for a Disneyland ride. The focus is bakery and yet the space dedicated for that is less than a 1/4 of lea-sable area. The route to the restroom constitute excessive circulation as well as crossing over the customers in line waiting to order or pick up while I could hear the restroom activities and odor that is too vulgar to post here.</blockquote>

Ew. I wish I could unread that.

I dont want to knock this place cause it's crowded so people must like it for some reason.

We tried their cake slices and honestly, it tasted like powdered milk, weird!

Two bites was all we could handle, the rest went into the garbage.

[quote author="frank69m" date=1250317384]Just some opinions.</blockquote>

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1250573458]while I could hear the restroom activities and odor that is too vulgar to post here</blockquote>Ooops, sorry about that

Finally went here... and yes... the crowdation makes it less desireable.

Didn't try the sea salt iced coffee... tempted... but I really can't see how a drink could have salt in it.

i was there 2 weeks ago and i go downstairs walk about 200 yards and there is one by our home in taipei, never wait on any lines, for me i think they're overrated.

[quote author="Johnny" date=1253756911]i was there 2 weeks ago and i go downstairs walk about 200 yards and there is one by our home in taipei, never wait on any lines, for me i think they're overrated.</blockquote>

FRESSHH BREEAAD... If I worked there, I would also love yelling that...

Back