Anyone knows about a good summer chess camp for kids?

aaronpaul

My 7 year old son loves to play chess.  I am trying to find a good summer chess camp for him.  Any suggestions?  TIA!

We get magazines occasionally on City Of Irvine activities.  There should be a summer one coming out soon.  If I recall correctly- there might be a chess camp at University Park. 

It's online:

Monday-Friday: 12:30 p.m.- 4 p.m.
Fees: $160 per week*
Site: University Community Park (UCP)
Fun brain exercise for the school break. We'll cover the basics, tactics and advanced strategies to help your game. Includes an official USCF tournament with medals and trophies for everyone! Bring a snack daily. Inst: Derek Tan, U.S. Chess Federation master and tournament director. Ages 6-14. *No camp 7/3; fee prorated.
Withdrawal Policy: Withdrawal requests for Camps must be received 10 days prior to the first meeting. Requests received fewer than 10 days prior to the first meeting will be processed for 50% of the fees (unless otherwise noted). Withdrawals/refunds are not available once the program begins.

Weekly starting 6/22

Link:https://quickreg.ci.irvine.ca.us/Activities/ActivitiesAdvSearch.asp
Under children and then camps.

Usually the Irvine camps are morning or afternoon... so if you want your kids to spend all day at some camp, you double them up.

irvinehomeowner said:
Usually the Irvine camps are morning or afternoon... so if you want your kids to spend all day at some camp, you double them up.

Even if you double them up, there is that unsupervised window. IMO public schools/ city run camps are good only if there is a chauffeur parent or grandparent.

Back