Any TI Residents looking to move out of state?

Bedford, New Hampshire. Super upscale, can buy a rad pad for $700K, 40 mi to downtown Boston, 30 mins drive to the beach on uncrowded fwy, 45 mins to ski area (so winter is fine there for me) or 4 hrs to decent powder in Jay Peak or to Montreal. No state income tax, no sales tax. Super strict voting laws. High degree of software/high tech ppl or Boston FSI. Better (and cheaper) seafood than anything you'll get here.

OCtoSV said:
Bedford, New Hampshire. Super upscale, can buy a rad pad for $700K, 40 mi to downtown Boston, 30 mins drive to the beach on uncrowded fwy, 45 mins to ski area (so winter is fine there for me) or 4 hrs to decent powder in Jay Peak or to Montreal. No state income tax, no sales tax. Super strict voting laws. High degree of software/high tech ppl or Boston FSI. Better (and cheaper) seafood than anything you'll get here.

Sounds like an awesome place other than the cold winters (I get cold when it gets below 60).

I like NH, but you get what you pay for with regards to taxes.  roads bad, schools mostly mediocre (though Bedford itself has good schools), and property taxes not low.

Life is full of trade-offs...

OCtoSV said:

In the past I?ve considered employment (with Job offers) moves for the family to Arizona, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Michigan and DC Metro.

Over-all I rate New Jersey has best when using weighted considerations on intangibles and tangibles. Great job mobility, comp, good schools, Gov services similar to Cali.

DC Metro (McLean) was good, Irvine on steroids almost. Like New Jersey, most comparable. Gave off a moving to West Side LA vibe though.

Arizona was lowest hanging fruit.  Great for exiting the job market. Low job mobility at higher levels.  Great opportunity to spin up light touch franchises, etc.  but, IMHo, a trap for corporate types.  Intangible social, really bad, and as we?ve seen, too tight MAGA hat land.

Michigan and Detroit.  Actually really great, lots of opportunity, a bit auto industry heavy.  Winters suck, previously lived there. Sucks worse as it doesn?t get that cold and you get plagued with freezing drizzle in the winter.

Florida, egads Florida. A great place if you like limited job opportunities, what they lack in Gob?ment services is made up for with inept Gub?ment services and a punitive attitude to those needing assistance, ensconced in a twisted 1960?s religious and social bigotry while trying to hook themselves up 19 year old island side squeeze. Based off of working 1-2 weeks a month across multiple years.  So some stuff is absolutely great beach life, ocean access, affordability, etc but wow does it come with baggage.

Texas, varies greatly by location (Austin, Houston, Dallas). I looked at Austin, this was pre MAGA.  Softer job market, lower salaries, higher property taxes and the MAGA thing was already strong. Otherwise great.

JM2C.  The economic pieces are easy to see, figuring out if you?re moving to a place that is still electing a Sheriff like the one in ?Just Mercy?, who remained in office re-elected until 2019, is the hard part.
My job read is based off of tech VP track, if you're in a different field like Education etc or different spot on track, YMMV.

nosuchreality said:
In the past I?ve considered employment (with Job offers) moves for the family to Arizona, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Michigan and DC Metro.

Over-all I rate New Jersey has best when using weighted considerations on intangibles and tangibles. Great job mobility, comp, good schools, Gov services similar to Cali.

DC Metro (McLean) was good, Irvine on steroids almost. Like New Jersey, most comparable. Gave off a moving to West Side LA vibe though.

Arizona was lowest hanging fruit.  Great for exiting the job market. Low job mobility at higher levels.  Great opportunity to spin up light touch franchises, etc.  but, IMHo, a trap for corporate types.  Intangible social, really bad, and as we?ve seen, too tight MAGA hat land.

Michigan and Detroit.  Actually really great, lots of opportunity, a bit auto industry heavy.  Winters suck, previously lived there. Sucks worse as it doesn?t get that cold and you get plagued with freezing drizzle in the winter.

Florida, egads Florida. A great place if you like limited job opportunities, what they lack in Gob?ment services is made up for with inept Gub?ment services and a punitive attitude to those needing assistance, ensconced in a twisted 1960?s religious and social bigotry while trying to hook themselves up 19 year old island side squeeze. Based off of working 1-2 weeks a month across multiple years.  So some stuff is absolutely great beach life, ocean access, affordability, etc but wow does it come with baggage.

Texas, varies greatly by location (Austin, Houston, Dallas). I looked at Austin, this was pre MAGA.  Softer job market, lower salaries, higher property taxes and the MAGA thing was already strong. Otherwise great.

JM2C.  The economic pieces are easy to see, figuring out if you?re moving to a place that is still electing a Sheriff like the one in ?Just Mercy?, who remained in office re-elected until 2019, is the hard part.
My job read is based off of tech VP track, if you're in a different field like Education etc or different spot on track, YMMV.

I would say that's a pretty accurate read for finance VP track as well. I've lived in the top 2 and would agree with your assessment except I prefer NOVA over NJ.

We just came back from a trip spanning BOS, NH and NJ (Spring Lake, the nicest town by far on the Jersey shore - known as the Irish Riviera). While Spring Lake has a tax abatement from tourism that keeps prop taxes <1% base, my friends larger house in a tonier inland NJ town has a $35K prop tax bill on $1.3M assessment. But agreed NJ is overrall an attractive spot given the metro NY job market spans FSI/pharma/some tech and you can buy a nice house in a nice town on a train line for $700K.

I would still choose Bedford for proximity to Boston, snowboarding spots and the beach. I would install a propane/nat gas whole house backup generator + Tesla Solar/Powerwall and make sure I was on municipal water/sewer, but otherwise I would cash out and live large back there in an early retirement.

I was there in 99 for a wedding - really really nice. But it's the south. No proximity to ocean. Nashville RE has boomed so it's not exactly cheap. I would still lean NH but you have definitely identified one of the best places to live in the SE US.

Let us know when you leave. So we can buy your home.
I know many people that come back to Cali.
Due to the following: food options, climate, diversity, low pay, etc)

Back