Another young flipper in over his head

norcaljeff_IHB

Good article. These on the ones that I enjoy showing to people who say things like "OC real estate won't fall" or "In Pacific Beach, real estate will keep going up since only really rich people own and invest there." Well as you'll read I'd say a 28 year old mortgage broker a.k.a flipper, the gig is officially up. I'd propose there are many others like him who own in Irvine and are getting a wake up call every morning lol.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081128/news_1n28credit.htm

Matt Sauer, a young, single mortgage broker, planned to get rich quick after graduating from college. By age 28, he owned properties in Pacific Beach, Las Vegas and Florida. To save money, Sauer, now 30, cut back on dining out and moved in with three roommates. He also has re-evaluated his views on debt.

Mark Miller, a San Diego bankruptcy lawyer, is seeing the fallout. His offices are buzzing with young couples, many facing foreclosure and some owing as much as $200,000 on credit cards. ?We have finally gotten over the concept that debt equals wealth,? Miller said. ?I'd get guys coming in with their arms crossed, saying, 'I'm only here because my wife dragged me in.' Now I am seeing capitulation.? Alger and his wife bought a one-bedroom condo in Mission Valley as newlyweds. A few years later, they turned it into a rental property and bought a three-bedroom condo nearby, where they planned to raise their two young children. Money was tight on his $32-an-hour job as a sheet metal worker, especially after his wife quit working as an aesthetician and went back to nursing school. It didn't take long for their financial house of cards to collapse. When their interest rates adjusted, the Algers used a home equity line of credit to pay their property taxes. This spring, Dan Alger lost his job. The Algers defaulted on both mortgages in a matter of months.

Too bad they don't find religion before the greed/problems set in.

<a href="http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081128/news_1n28credit.html">http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081128/news_1n28credit.html</a>

Fraud. fraud and more fraud. A long read but worth the time.

<a href="http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article919554.ece?ref=patrick.net">A case study in housing collapse </a>

The indiscretions of youth. Fear our future, I really think there is a conection here

<a href="http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=081201214432.rjut4n2u&show_article=1">American teens lie, steal, cheat at 'alarming' rates: study</a>

not surprising, but still it amazes me to read that there was ZERO qualification for loans.

and i love all the limbaugh cheering section comments about blaming maxine waters and barney frank. how can people really even think that after reading the story about private lenders bilking the system? are they just automatons?

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1228217784]And speaking of religion, WTF is up with these folks and thier relationship with God?</blockquote>

They are like junkies who have found Jesus.

[quote author="flyovercountry" date=1228281852][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1228217784]And speaking of religion, WTF is up with these folks and their relationship with God?</blockquote>

They are like junkies who have found Jesus.</blockquote>

When they wear their religion on their sleeve it is more often another marketing tool to further their career and look good in the community. I love Jesus too, but i don't advertise or push him on other people to bring attention to myself.

[quote author="OCCOBRA" date=1228282558][quote author="flyovercountry" date=1228281852][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1228217784]And speaking of religion, WTF is up with these folks and their relationship with God?</blockquote>

When they wear their religion on their sleeve it is more often another marketing tool to further their career and look good in the community. I love Jesus too, but i don't advertise or push him on other people to bring attention to myself.</blockquote>

They also use God to justify (or atone for) the bad decisions they've made. I will never forget the last bubble (early-mid 1990's) when my co-worker walked away from her fairly new "manufactured" home in Riverside. She could easily afford the payments, but didn't want it anymore because it had plunged in value. She was a born-again Christian and told me that she had a conversation with God and he told her it was Ok to let the house go into foreclosure. This especially hit a raw nerve because we had just sold our lousy condo and had to write a check to the escrow company to be rid of it!

The excuse is that Jesus will forgive them no matter how much fraud they commit. He might or might not...but hiding behind your god (whether Christian, Muslim, or whatever) might make you fell better but you're still a sack of shiet.

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1228370484][quote author="OCCOBRA" date=1228282558][quote author="flyovercountry" date=1228281852][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1228217784]And speaking of religion, WTF is up with these folks and their relationship with God?</blockquote>

When they wear their religion on their sleeve it is more often another marketing tool to further their career and look good in the community. I love Jesus too, but i don't advertise or push him on other people to bring attention to myself.</blockquote>

They also use God to justify (or atone for) the bad decisions they've made. I will never forget the last bubble (early-mid 1990's) when my co-worker walked away from her fairly new "manufactured" home in Riverside. She could easily afford the payments, but didn't want it anymore because it had plunged in value. She was a born-again Christian and told me that she had a conversation with God and he told her it was Ok to let the house go into foreclosure. This especially hit a raw nerve because we had just sold our lousy condo and had to write a check to the escrow company to be rid of it!</blockquote>

When i hear someone say they talked with God on this matter the BS meter goes through the roof! Especially when Oral Roberts or Pat Robertson or the many other religious charlatans out there who use that line to pinch people for money so they can make their 6 figure incomes. No fan of organized religion at all...

Back