Annoying sales calls

Shooby_IHB

OK, if you are a subscriber or potential subscriber of the OC Register, do NOT give them your personal or cell phone number. I was suckered into purchasing a Sunday subscription from some kid soliciting at my house, and since I let the subscription run out, I have gotten a call from them every day at least 4 times a day ranging from 8 AM to 830 PM.

I have answered and told them I am not interested in subscribing and to stop calling me, and two days later, the same calls continue. They are relentless I tell you.

A year ago. I had a kid from the OC Register at my front door. I was in the middle of cooking dinner. After telling him so many times that I am not interested. He wouldn't leave. It got to a point where he was getting obnoxious. Then I can smell my dinner burning. I slammed the door on him.

have you ran into that guy at the Albertsons? I think on Unversity that was offering $10-$15 grocery gift certs for a years subscription... it was tempting, but I walked anyway...

[quote author="reason" date=1245456406]A year ago. I had a kid from the OC Register at my front door. I was in the middle of cooking dinner. After telling him so many times that I am not interested. He wouldn't leave. It got to a point where he was getting obnoxious. Then I can smell my dinner burning. I slammed the door on him.</blockquote>
LOL I had a kid plead with me to buy a subscription, and his reason was that if he sold enough subscriptions he would win a trip somewhere. Someone needs to work on his win-win persuasive framing.

Are you Irvinites saddled with curb painting scam artists? These are guys who leave notices on every door saying they'll paint your house number on the curb on XXX day, and for *YOU* to take action if you *DON'T* want the service. Then they come around in the evening looking for donations on the day the curb is painted. They usually suggest somewhere between $10-15 for something that takes literally 2 minutes to do (I've watched them do it). They're very aggressive with the visits for donations. I told one guy I wasn't going to give money for a service I didn't request, so he pointed out that the work was already done, and that they gave notices 2 weeks ago. I then pointed to "NO SOLICITING" sign in the window right in front of him and informed him it had been there for 2 years. See ya!

I am ruthlessly rude to nobody but door to door salesmen and telemarketers.

After the telemarketers start thier spiel (3-5) seconds, I just quietly hang the phone up, or close the door.

I made the mistake of giving Time Warner Cable my work mobile phone number a few years ago. They would call me at least once a week to try to get me to add phone service or whatever else it was that they wanted to up-sell. I became increasingly rude in those conversations, if I answered.

Recently, my bf decided to open the door and chat with a few Mormon missionaries. I came downstairs to see who was at the door and I did an immediate u-turn and walked back upstairs, quietly laughing all the way. When they left, I told him that they would be back many times to see if he had read the material that they gave him. Three dinner-time visits later, he is prepared to simply (and politely) tell them that he is not interested on their next visit.

[quote author="Daedalus" date=1245467203][quote author="reason" date=1245456406]A year ago. I had a kid from the OC Register at my front door. I was in the middle of cooking dinner. After telling him so many times that I am not interested. He wouldn't leave. It got to a point where he was getting obnoxious. Then I can smell my dinner burning. I slammed the door on him.</blockquote>
LOL I had a kid plead with me to buy a subscription, and <strong>his reason was that if he sold enough subscriptions he would win a trip </strong>somewhere. Someone needs to work on his win-win persuasive framing.</blockquote>

Hahaha! I think it's the same freaking kid! He also told me the same line!

When a telemarketer calls, I interrupt, say something like, "Hmmm-m-m, that sounds interesting. I hear my daughter calling. Can you hold on a second?" I put the phone down on the counter ...

[quote author="awgee" date=1245879074]When a telemarketer calls, I interrupt, say something like, "Hmmm-m-m, that sounds interesting. I hear my daughter calling. Can you hold on a second?" I put the phone down on the counter ...</blockquote>

It's way more passive agressive to just hang up quietly.

We've signed up for the OC Register before due to these "college" kids. We've since cancelled because we just don't have the time to read them. We then signed with the L.A. Times OC edition due to these "college" kids. We still get the L.A. Times, but only the Sunday edition for the coupons (and the comics for the ivory seat). Every now and then they still come to our door and I just tell them that I already receive the paper. They just say "oh" and walk away.

OC register has called 3 times this morning, along with twice after 8pm last night. I'm about to pick up and cuss the guy out.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1245880903][quote author="awgee" date=1245879074]When a telemarketer calls, I interrupt, say something like, "Hmmm-m-m, that sounds interesting. I hear my daughter calling. Can you hold on a second?" I put the phone down on the counter ...</blockquote>

It's way more passive agressive to just hang up quietly.</blockquote>

But don't you like the idea of them just sitting there on the phone wasting time waiting for someone to come back to the phone? Hanging up on them helps them go on to the next person and make money.

[quote author="awgee" date=1245904378][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1245880903][quote author="awgee" date=1245879074]When a telemarketer calls, I interrupt, say something like, "Hmmm-m-m, that sounds interesting. I hear my daughter calling. Can you hold on a second?" I put the phone down on the counter ...</blockquote>

But don't you like the idea of them just sitting there on the phone wasting time waiting for someone to come back to the phone? Hanging up on them helps them go on to the next person and make money.</blockquote>

Oh, that is so cruel. Haha!

When the Mormons show up at my door I tell them I am gay and I hate the fact they pumped all that money into CA to ban Gay marriage. Now If my wife and kids are around it really confuses them.

For telemarketers.

I tell them I am elbow deep in a poopy diaper and I thought it was my girlfriend calling and I had to pick up quickyl before my wife got the phone, I gotta run.

I also like to drop the phone and bang it around a little and then act really angry then let them know if they had checked their records they would have seen I was a customer.

I also like to talk to them a little too when I am bored. A bad sales person will ask some form of "how are you doing". I like to tell them a little country music story. I got fired today because I spent too much time spying on my wife. Found out she was cheating with my boss and now I am going to lose my house and my wife and my two dogs. That is fun. Then when they try to get off the phone I tell them they are my only friend.

For the newspapers I tell them I am moving and they will ask where you are moving they can deliver it there. I tell them I don't know the government hasn't told me where I will be moving or what my new name will be.

Finally if they are really pushy just agree to go through with the purchase and let them fill everything out then say you know what I changed my mind.

I've given the phone to either my 5 year old son or 4 year old daughter. It's kind of fun waiting for the telemarketer to hang up first for once. Otherwise I just say "not interested" and hang up before they finish their opening sentence. My husband is much more polite and waits for them to finish and ends up having to politely say he's not interested several times before hanging up, I can never understand why he still wastes his time like this.

When they call at the dinner hour, it upsets me (I am very traditional and dinner hour is sacred family table time with my homecooked meals). So sometimes I ask if they can just hold on while we finish and to my surprise they often say okay. They are rarely there a half hour later when I get back. Calling during dinner hour is the epitome of telephone rudeness and irritates me almost as much as calling pre-or-post 9 a.m. / 9 p.m. per telephone etiquette.

This is how I roll...

Warning! F-bomb alert, ear muffs kids... ear muffs!

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

[quote author="awgee" date=1245904378][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1245880903][quote author="awgee" date=1245879074]When a telemarketer calls, I interrupt, say something like, "Hmmm-m-m, that sounds interesting. I hear my daughter calling. Can you hold on a second?" I put the phone down on the counter ...</blockquote>

But don't you like the idea of them just sitting there on the phone wasting time waiting for someone to come back to the phone? Hanging up on them helps them go on to the next person and make money.</blockquote>

I like the idea of being passive aggressive to them more. If they stick on the phone more than 20 seconds they are vapid morons (a deeper grade of moron) and aren't going to sell anything anyway. My way has a higher chance of upsetting them (in poker parlance it's called "tilt") causing them to do badly on subsequent calls until they take a break and get their tilt under control.

My goal with telemarketers isn?t to maximize their potential lost time, rather, it?s to maximize my opportunity to ruin somebody?s day who deserves it.

[quote author="trrenter" date=1245907212]When the Mormons show up at my door I tell them I am gay and I hate the fact they pumped all that money into CA to ban Gay marriage. Now If my wife and kids are around it really confuses them. </blockquote>

I've had similar thoughts. Jokingly, I told my bf that I was going to make a "No on 8" sign and walk back and forth behind him at the door in silent protest the next time that they showed up.

Funny thing about telemarketers-- I have a very young voice and if they ask me if my mommy or daddy are home I just say no and hang up.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1245909667]When they call at the dinner hour, it upsets me (I am very traditional and dinner hour is sacred family table time with my homecooked meals). So sometimes I ask if they can just hold on while we finish and to my surprise they often say okay. They are rarely there a half hour later when I get back. Calling during dinner hour is the epitome of telephone rudeness and irritates me almost as much as calling pre-or-post 9 a.m. / 9 p.m. per telephone etiquette.</blockquote>

We do not answer the phone while we are eating.

Back