Amgen to lay off 14% of workforce (Countrywide neighbor)

Trooper_IHB

<p>Just heard breaking news on CNBC that Amgen has announced it is laying off approximately 14% of it's workforce. What's notable is that it's global headquarters is located in Thousand Oaks, right next to Countrywide's headquarters. CNBC reported that the average Amgen employee makes $160,000 a year ! </p>

<p>Considering that Countrywide is going down, now Amgen....looks like we might have some real bargains in the West Valley in the near future ! Who has a contact in any of the valley blogs? </p>

<p>WOW !</p>

Robert Cote of <a href="http://exurbannation.blogspot.com">exurbannation.blogspot.com</a> talked a few times about Amgen going down. Looks like the Thousand Oaks area might just get wiped out...ouch.

My friend's brother just graduated and started his job at Countrywide 2 months ago. With the way things are going for them, I told my friend that his brother should start looking for new work now.

I tried to get a job at Amgen for years. Am soooo glad THAT didn't happen. And by the way, I am quite skeptical about that 160k statistic; just ain't no way that can be correct for the entire population of Amgen employees. Perhaps just managers? Or sales people?

In a pharma/biotech company like Amgen you probably have C-level executives pulling down tens of millions every year, and salespeople and scientists making hundreds of thousands every year, so it's not hard to see how the average take per employee could be 160k. Not like Wal-Mart with tousands and thousands of unskilled workers.

ISM, the number was thrown out on Closing Bell....seems believable...unless they were just trying to dramatize it.

Back