AMG Mercedes Drive event OC Great Park Oct 1-2

Is buying an expensive car/sports car a good financial decision?  Of course it isn't.  But for me (as mentioned above), it has to do about the intangible happiness factor.  Getting into that car and driving it puts a huge smile on my face...the speed, handling, looks, sound, etc.  That being said, my dad taught me to never buy new cars because of depreciation so I always buy slightly used cars to not have to take that huge initial hit driving off the lot.  For example, the sticker price for my car (2011 model) was $76k and I bought it for $61k when it had 6,500 miles on it.  Also, I got a 2.49% car loan to finance it and I write part of the car off as I use it for business so it makes a bit more financial sense for me than for someone who can't write it off (you can write off the depreciation, mileage or actual gas, repairs, parts, registration, insurance, etc).  Honestly, I have no desire to buy a Lambo or Ferrari and the most expensive car that I'd buy is a Porsche GT3 RS.  In the end, I saw it as a little reward for myself for all the hard work I put in the past few years.  If you don't spoil yourself every now and again, who will?  ;)

ps99472 said:
Anyone interested in SUVs?  Looking to get Audi Q5 vs Lexus 450h vs Volvo XC60 vs Acura MDX for my next car.  Need a family hauler and also cargo.  And no the BMW X5 M is not on my radar....

Love the interior of the Q5, but love the fit and finish of the RX450h as well as the gas mileage better. The new FX35 is pretty sweet too, they are having great deals on the infinitis.

Totally agree with you Martin. I have always bought pre owned vehicles and wouldn't have it any other way. Not into losing thousands right when you drive off the lot. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
ps99472 said:
Anyone interested in SUVs?  Looking to get Audi Q5 vs Lexus 450h vs Volvo XC60 vs Acura MDX for my next car.  Need a family hauler and also cargo.  And no the BMW X5 M is not on my radar....
I prefer the Lexus and the Acura from your list, I guess I lean towards Japanese over European.

But... the perfect family hauler is the Toyota Sienna.  :-*

Wife shot down the minivan idea...  I actually like the Sienna SE with the body kit

330.jpg

USCTrojanCPA said:
That being said, my dad taught me to never buy new cars because of depreciation so I always buy slightly used cars to not have to take that huge initial hit driving off the lot.

I used to feel the same way (my dad drilled the exact same thing into me as yours) until I realized the tactic only works well on makes that actually experience adequate / substantial depreciation (and looking back, I see that is what my dad was buying. LOL) When I began buying vehicles which actually maintained their KBB value, I started just buying off the lot because I wasn't getting ahead financially the other route. That said, I pretty much drive them into the ground and not switch cars like one might change shoes, so I'm willing to buy new.

ps99472 said:

I've driven the Lexus RX350 and Acura MDX. Both feel like solid/reliable cars with lots of luxury features. The rx was recently updated and I like the newer interior design and touch mouse for nav access. The mdx has the optional 3rd row--though pretty small. I've read reviews on the Q5 and they all seem to indicate this suv is on the sporty side (if there is such a thing).

Here is a comparison in motor trend (mdx not included):http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._mercedes_benz_glk350_volvo_xc60/viewall.html

Cars are not an investment unless you get lucky and buy a classic (e.g. Toyota Supra Turbo).  It is a toy. 

I also believe that you should probably not buy the tricked out version unless you track your car.  If you buy a 335i and decide to mod it, you will end up kicking yourself for not getting the M3 to begin with.  I usually go to Willow Springs but I stumbled upon this link and since this is an Irvine forum it is appropriate.  Anyone ever do a track day here?
http://driveocrc.com/joomla/

NoSoup4U said:
Cars are not an investment unless you get lucky and buy a classic (e.g. Toyota Supra Turbo).  It is a toy. 

I also believe that you should probably not buy the tricked out version unless you track your car.  If you buy a 335i and decide to mod it, you will end up kicking yourself for not getting the M3 to begin with.  I usually go to Willow Springs but I stumbled upon this link and since this is an Irvine forum it is appropriate.  Anyone ever do a track day here?
http://driveocrc.com/joomla/
Yup, I've attended several BMW CCA and Porsche Club of America track events when I had my E46 M3 and 911 Turbo.  I've hit every track in So Cal and Vegas a number of times.  That being said, I haven't tracked in years because my weekends are now dedicated to my clients.

Drove the Acura MDX and Lexus RX350 a few days ago.  The Acura definitely feels sturdier and more "tank" like.  The Lexus drove like my wife's IS, except more elevated.  The 3rd row seating on the Acura is nice but only for kids.  The rear entertainment system is in the middle of roof between the first and second row.  So if my kid is behind me will be at a 45 degree and upwards viewing angle, not the best.  Plus I hear it interferes with your center rear view mirror.  Gonna try the Audi and Volvo next, hear the Volvo's entertainment system is dual screen and built into the headrest.. hopefully that's better, or else I'm going aftermarket. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Yup, I've attended several BMW CCA and Porsche Club of America track events when I had my E46 M3 and 911 Turbo.  I've hit every track in So Cal and Vegas a number of times.  That being said, I haven't tracked in years because my weekends are now dedicated to my clients.

So you have been to the Irvine track at El Toro?  Which company held the track event there?

ps99472 said:
Drove the Acura MDX and Lexus RX350 a few days ago.  The Acura definitely feels sturdier and more "tank" like.  The Lexus drove like my wife's IS, except more elevated.  The 3rd row seating on the Acura is nice but only for kids.  The rear entertainment system is in the middle of roof between the first and second row.  So if my kid is behind me will be at a 45 degree and upwards viewing angle, not the best.  Plus I hear it interferes with your center rear view mirror.  Gonna try the Audi and Volvo next, hear the Volvo's entertainment system is dual screen and built into the headrest.. hopefully that's better, or else I'm going aftermarket. 

IMO Acuras have better road handling versus Lexus. Audi should handle even better.

Don't waste your money on rear entertainment. It is cheaper to buy an Ipad2 or equivalent and an aftermarket backseat bracket to hold it in place. When your commute is over, you kids can take the ipad with them. If you want even more connectivity, just buy a MiFi 4G portable router--then everyone can surf the net in the car.

iacrenter said:
ps99472 said:

IMO Acuras have better road handling versus Lexus. Audi should handle even better.

Don't waste your money on rear entertainment. It is cheaper to buy an Ipad2 or equivalent and an aftermarket backseat bracket to hold it in place. When your commute is over, you kids can take the ipad with them. If you want even more connectivity, just buy a MiFi 4G portable router--then everyone can surf the net in the car.

Good points, I have a portable DVD player with the headrest strap right now and looking into getting a adapter for my iPad but I just want something convenient and not have to worry about when I leave the car.  With kids, we already travel like we're preparing for the apocalypse... one less iPad to carry is better. 

NoSoup4U said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

So you have been to the Irvine track at El Toro?  Which company held the track event there?
They only have autocross events over at the El Toro base.  I never went to any of the autocross events, just the full track events at Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, CA Speedway, Spring Mountain, and LV Speedway.

The biggest problem with the iPad setup is the fact you have to take them or hide them whenever you leave the car (and i don't know how they will keep when it gets really hot in the car for X hours).

USCTrojanCPA said:
They only have autocross events over at the El Toro base.  I never went to any of the autocross events, just the full track events at Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, CA Speedway, Spring Mountain, and LV Speedway.
Yeah, I've never been to an autox event either but this one at el toro seems different because the course is much larger with speeds up around 120mph.  Here is a vid of a 1M at el toro...

Here is a 1m at OCRC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIB2IMwuRaI&feature=player_embedded

NoSoup4U said:

$375 for an event is too expensive.  PCA (porsche group) and indy groups like speed ventures sponsor events for under $200.  If they dropped the price a bit, this would be interesting given the proximity.  Speed ventures also sponsors event at Cal which is a relatively short 30-40 min drive from Irvine. 

I've done a/x at el toro which was pretty fun and only 5 minutes from my home.  I haven't seen a longer road course. 

irvinehomeowner said:
I have a question... and I hope no one is offended... but is buying an expensive sports car a financially sound decision?

Isn't that something like overpaying for a house in Irvine?

I realize for some people it's necessary for a business image but you could always just buy the normal version instead of the "tricked-out" one right?

I like sports cars as much as the next guy... but it's hard for me to justify spending so much on a car. Would you guys buy Lambos or Ferraris?

My preference for sports cars seems to lean towards the less expensive American ones... or maybe I secretly hope that I buy the Camaro that turns into a robot bodyguard. :D

There's always been something about cars...  if you are a car guy, you generally stay a car guy...    i don't really spend much on anything other vice, but cars have always been something that have "spoken" to me...  but yeah, they are generally horrible investments.   

i've been stupid enough to trade out cars every 1-2 years for the past 8 years or so, and have taken a (financial) bath on a lot of cars...  but if i end up buying a larger house, i won't have that option so the problem should fix itself..    i've changed tune a bit, we switched out the wife's benz for a prius and couldnt be any happier...  if the family grows, we'll need an suv in a year or so...

ps99472 said:

I driven the Lexus on multiple occasions and really liked the lexus, but the slanted rear hatch reduces the cargo room.  I've had really good experiences with reliability with Lexus.  My sister has 160K miles on an '05 RX that just keeps on going.  The new re-design is pretty nice except for the hatch. 

I also drove and liked the MDX, but wife didn't care for it much.  Hated the front fascia and the leather is horrible.  Even on brand new cars the quality seemed suspect.  Didn't really care for the Volvo XC60, but the XC90 seems better for a small step up in price. 

Even though it's a "smaller" suv, I really liked the Audi Q5.  I think Audi's styling has really improved over the years and was also suprised at the rear cargo space.  For those who are willing to sacrifice some power for fuel economy, they have a 2.0T version (211bhp) in addition to the 3.2.  The bad is the 2.0T is in high demand and not many discounts are availble.  We'll definitely revisit the Audi dealer in a year or so.    The price is very reasonable even though you are buying a fancy rendition of a car with the standard 2.0T used in cheaper VW/Audi variants.  But most manufacturers are heading in this standardized direction. 

You don't have to buy the X5 M, but we also looked at the X5.  They had some really great incentives last year that I passed up due to our home search.  They still have eco credits available on the X5 diesel which gets pretty good mileage and tons of torque.    I like the E70 refresh which includes LED DRL's (aka coronas/ angel eyes).  That being said, I've had some issues here and there with BMWs, and will always worry about long-term reliability. 

I agree with everyone else with regards to buying "slightly used".  That's definitely the best bang for your buck, even if you plan to keep the car a long time. 

Back