AMG Mercedes Drive event OC Great Park Oct 1-2

Oh no I agree with you. 

I test drove the C63 before getting the M3, it's a great car but a third pedal was missing  ;) from what I'm use to.  It also felt like a boat  :p

We'll be there to browse... probably won't be driving much unless I can strap my daughter's carseat in the C63.  Hopefully they have some cool trinkets to snatch... otherwise we'll wonder over to the farmer's market for some foodie truck grub

USCTrojanCPA said:
There's a reason why I picked the M3 over the C63 AMG.  ;)

You made the right choice.  Although the new C63 coupe looks pretty good but still not an M3.  Now the GTR...that is a different story.

2012_mercedes_benz_c63_amg_coupe_black_series_102_cd_gallery.jpg

NoSoup4U said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
There's a reason why I picked the M3 over the C63 AMG.  ;)

You made the right choice.  Although the new C63 coupe looks pretty good but still not an M3.  Now the GTR...that is a different story.

2012_mercedes_benz_c63_amg_coupe_black_series_102_cd_gallery.jpg
It's a nice looking car and crazy fast, but the lack of handling and driver input was a huge turn off.  As mentioned above by Homer, it was basically like driving a speed boat.  I considered the GTR too but I needed a more practical car for my realtor adventures. 

Yea, I'm sure your clients would hate having their fillings rattle out in a GTR.  So you got the E90 rather than the E92 I assume?

NoSoup4U said:
Yea, I'm sure your clients would hate having their fillings rattle out in a GTR.  So you got the E90 rather than the E92 I assume?
More like getting whiplash.  haha  I picked up the E92 coupe which actually has good room in the back for additional passangers.

USCTrojanCPA said:
NoSoup4U said:
More like getting whiplash.  haha  I picked up the E92 coupe which actually has good room in the back for additional passangers.

I hope you skipped the sunroof--that carbon fiber roof looks awesome and saves weight too. DCT or Manual?

iacrenter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
NoSoup4U said:

I hope you skipped the sunroof--that carbon fiber roof looks awesome and saves weight too. DCT or Manual?
Of course I skipped the sunroof...it'd be a crime to get an Apline White M3 and not have a carbon fiber roof (I also added CF rear view covers, side grills, and front grills to complete the look).  ;)  I was looking for a 6-speed but I got a great deal on a slightly used 2011 that had DCT and nav (a requirement for me as a realtor) so I picked it up.  There's a lot of E46 M3 6-speed owners that went to the E92 DCT and couldn't be any happier so I figured it couldn't be all that bad. 

I went from an SMG to a 6speed.  I had so much problems with the SMG tranny, hopefully all the bugs on the DCT has been worked out because I love the DCT as well :)

I like you guys.  Passionate about high performance cars and Irvine real estate.

Re: the  M3 DCT.  Can you do 2 quick downshifts?  Example:  When at a road course coming off a long straight and you are in 6th gear can you downshift 2 or more gears very quickly for the next turn?  I read that the GTR couldn't do this but the Evo X could.

homer_simpson said:
I went from an SMG to a 6speed.  I had so much problems with the SMG tranny, hopefully all the bugs on the DCT has been worked out because I love the DCT as well :)
I've heard horror stories about the SMG but also heard the DCT is light years better.  So far, so good.

I have a question... and I hope no one is offended... but is buying an expensive sports car a financially sound decision?

Isn't that something like overpaying for a house in Irvine?

I realize for some people it's necessary for a business image but you could always just buy the normal version instead of the "tricked-out" one right?

I like sports cars as much as the next guy... but it's hard for me to justify spending so much on a car. Would you guys buy Lambos or Ferraris?

My preference for sports cars seems to lean towards the less expensive American ones... or maybe I secretly hope that I buy the Camaro that turns into a robot bodyguard. :D

NoSoup4U said:
Re: the  M3 DCT.  Can you do 2 quick downshifts?  Example:  When at a road course coming off a long straight and you are in 6th gear can you downshift 2 or more gears very quickly for the next turn?  I read that the GTR couldn't do this but the Evo X could.

You can do a double downshift. The DCT will rev match perfectly and make a nice sound as well. The thing can shift faster and more precisely than a manual. Some do not like the lack of connection with the DCT vs the manual but the technology has come a long way.

irvinehomeowner said:
I have a question... and I hope no one is offended... but is buying an expensive sports car a financially sound decision?

Isn't that something like overpaying for a house in Irvine?

I realize for some people it's necessary for a business image but you could always just buy the normal version instead of the "tricked-out" one right?

I like sports cars as much as the next guy... but it's hard for me to justify spending so much on a car. Would you guys buy Lambos or Ferraris?

My preference for sports cars seems to lean towards the less expensive American ones... or maybe I secretly hope that I buy the Camaro that turns into a robot bodyguard. :D

Expensive new cars are almost always a bad investment (ultra exotics/limited editions are the exceptions). Buying used saves you the depreciation hit which is steepest during the first few years.

Having said that--I still like new(er) sporty cars. I am willing to pay the price and budget it as a luxury item.

Ferrari and Lambo (even used) are too expensive for me and their maintenance costs are killer. I would be interested in renting an exotic at a track but haven't done it yet.http://www.exoticsracing.com/

There are some awesome American sport/gt cars out there which are relative bargains for their performance and I respect: Corvette Z06, Cadillac CTS-V, and Mustang GT/Boss 302. The Camaro has nice exterior retro styling and I expect the upcoming ZL1 model with 550hp should give the Shelby Mustangs a run for their money.

Is buying a sports car financially sound? Abaolutely not! Did I overpay buying in irvine, hell yeah I did. Now why did I buy those two things? Well, they make me happy.  :D

Buying in irvine means I am closer to work and my wife is also closer to her work.  My friends and family live close by so it made sense to purchase around the area :).

As for the M3, everytime I start up the v8 mated to my Eissenman exhaust; it brings a big smile to my face (but a mad look on my neighbors LOL). As I pull into my office im still grinning ear to ear from my drive down the 5 south and taking a nice swooping exit off Alton  :p

Would I be happy in a normal 328i? Absolutely not, the ride, the power, the handling, and the looks of the M3 is why I bought it. It's like comparing Columbus Square to Northwood Pointe, I kid I kid...

But for me, I have to love what I drive :)

Anyone interested in SUVs?  Looking to get Audi Q5 vs Lexus 450h vs Volvo XC60 vs Acura MDX for my next car.  Need a family hauler and also cargo.  And no the BMW X5 M is not on my radar....

ps99472 said:
Anyone interested in SUVs?  Looking to get Audi Q5 vs Lexus 450h vs Volvo XC60 vs Acura MDX for my next car.  Need a family hauler and also cargo.  And no the BMW X5 M is not on my radar....
I prefer the Lexus and the Acura from your list, I guess I lean towards Japanese over European.

But... the perfect family hauler is the Toyota Sienna.  :-*

Back