Amazon Launch Event (Fire Phone)

Nope, gonna let the genius bar guys look at it, hopefully an easy fix,  not liking my fire phone, some apps not available, need to figure out how to unlock Appstore to access google play?

I can go back to my 4S, but it's so tiny

My 5s is beyond repair, Apple store wants $250 to replace, only option.  Said it was some hardware circuit board problem, error 40?

So my iPhone lasted 1.5 years :(  Ill be using my Fire phone until the 6s plus is out and I can get the upgrade credit.

Also found out if you switch from iPhone to non Apple phone, you'll have to call them to get your number scrubbed from Apple servers or you won't be getting your text messages from other iPhones.

eyephone said:
Btw - you should of got apple care plus.

Better option is to pay your cell phone bill with certain Wells Fargo credit cards. They give you a free warranty with a lower deductible than Apple Care.

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:
Btw - you should of got apple care plus.

Better option is to pay your cell phone bill with certain Wells Fargo credit cards. They give you a free warranty with a lower deductible than Apple Care.

apple care covers the accessories and the phone. If your charger cable is torn or doesn't work, apple will replace for free. Does Wells Fargo cover water damage or of the screen is cracked?

eyephone said:
apple care covers the accessories and the phone. If your charger cable is torn or doesn't work, apple will replace for free. Does Wells Fargo cover water damage or of the screen is cracked?

Considering Apple Care Plus has a $79 service fee plus costs $99 upfront it's $180 compared to the $250 they are offering him to pay now to get the phone fixed. It looks like they charge you $79 to replace your torn charger cable as well.

Wells Fargo has a $25 deductible with no cost (https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/). My understanding is that Wells Fargo does not cover cracked screens unless the phone is totally inoperable, but they do cover water damage as long as you cannot use the phone to make phone calls.

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:

Considering Apple Care Plus has a $79 service fee plus costs $99 upfront it's $180 compared to the $250 they are offering him to pay now to get the phone fixed. It looks like they charge you $79 to replace your torn charger cable as well.

Wells Fargo has a $25 deductible with no cost (https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/). My understanding is that Wells Fargo does not cover cracked screens unless the phone is totally inoperable, but they do cover water damage as long as you cannot use the phone to make phone calls.

I think you got it twisted. They don't charge $79 to replace your cable. It's free, if you have apple care plus. (But you will have to bring the oem cable not the knock off, because you will be called out - sorry, this is not an apple product we can't help you on this. I've seen it multiple times and it's kind of funny.)

The $79 you are referring to is the fee replace the phone. Which can be used once a year, in a two year period.

So Wells Fargo doesn't cover crack screens? So what happens if you crack your screen, your going to westminister to get it repaired? Trust me the replacement screens by the fix it shops are not the same. Also, isn't the majority of the potential repairs are due to "crack screens"?

They probably won't fix his phone. They will give him a replacement phone and charge him $250. In a way it's a bargain, if he buys an unlocked phone it's like $549 for the unlocked 5s.

eyephone said:
So Wells Fargo doesn't cover crack screens? So what happens if you crack your screen, your going to westminister to get it repaired? Trust me the replacement screens by the fix it shops are not the same. Also, isn't the majority of the potential repairs are due to "crack screens"?

They probably won't fix his phone. They will give him a replacement phone and charge him $250. In a way it's a bargain, if he buys an unlocked phone it's like $549 for the unlocked 5s.

Apple will replace cracked screens for a fee (which is just a few dollars more than the $79 Applecare fee)

If he had just paid his bill with a Wells Fargo Credit Card (free!!) They would be covering $225 of this and he'd only be paying $25.

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:

Apple will replace cracked screens for a fee (which is just a few dollars more than the $79 Applecare fee)

If he had just paid his bill with a Wells Fargo Credit Card (free!!) They would be covering $225 of this and he'd only be paying $25.

But what if you have an issue with your iphone after a year. Your pretty much on your own, that Genius Bar at the apple store won't help you w/out a fee. Such as Apple ID iTunes issues/parental contol iTunes issues/syncing issues. (I hear it all the time from my friends, coworkers, and even when I'm at the apple store looking at products.)

Also, I hope WF will replace the phone and not reimburse you to fix it. Because the replacement LCD is not the same as the oem.

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:

@paperboy, thanks for the reminder.. I bought the phone from Apple with my Costco AMEX, gonna file a claim for the extended warranty and see what happens. 

eyephone said:
But what if you have an issue with your iphone after a year. Your pretty much on your own, that Genius Bar at the apple store won't help you w/out a fee. Such as Apple ID iTunes issues/parental contol iTunes issues/syncing issues. (I hear it all the time from my friends, coworkers, and even when I'm at the apple store looking at products.)

Also, I hope WF will replace the phone and not reimburse you to fix it. Because the replacement LCD is not the same as the oem.

Not true. Genius bar never charges a fee for their 15min appt. regardless of warranty status. If your device is defective then yea...

Spent a week with the fire phone and couldn't stand it anymore.  I can deal with the clunky OS, the hefty weight, and uncomfortable grip.  But the dealbreaker was the app store:  Amazon didn't have what I needed.  No AMEX app, no slickdeals, no songza, no stocktwits, no decent stock app, etc.  4G LTE music streaming to my car resulted in annoying half second blips/breaks every minute.  This is with the Amazon music app.. pathetic since its their own first party app and can't get it right. 

Walked back into the Apple store and replaced my 5S for $260 + tax = $290 for return to norm.  If I had an Android phone with full access to Google Play store I probably would've been satisfied.  But 6 months with the Fire phone will be torture.  My AMEX claim for the extended warranty is still pending, but I can care less if it doesn't go through, I already have my precious back.

ps9 said:
Spent a week with the fire phone and couldn't stand it anymore.  I can deal with the clunky OS, the hefty weight, and uncomfortable grip.  But the dealbreaker was the app store:  Amazon didn't have what I needed.  No AMEX app, no slickdeals, no songza, no stocktwits, no decent stock app, etc.  4G LTE music streaming to my car resulted in annoying half second blips/breaks every minute.  This is with the Amazon music app.. pathetic since its their own first party app and can't get it right. 

Walked back into the Apple store and replaced my 5S for $260 + tax = $290 for return to norm.  If I had an Android phone with full access to Google Play store I probably would've been satisfied.  But 6 months with the Fire phone will be torture.  My AMEX claim for the extended warranty is still pending, but I can care less if it doesn't go through, I already have my precious back.

No way to install Google Play Store on the Fire Phone?

paperboyNC said:
ps9 said:

No way to install Google Play Store on the Fire Phone?

Did some brief research.. have to 'sideload' google apps and seems a waste of my time

Got my extended warranty claim approved by AMEX, so I'm only about $40 out of pocket for the new phone replacement.  Thanks again to paperboy for reminding me to check into it.  I'm gonna make sure I purchase my next Apple products on AMEX!

ps9 said:
Got my extended warranty claim approved by AMEX, so I'm only about $40 out of pocket for the new phone replacement.  Thanks again to paperboy for reminding me to check into it.  I'm gonna make sure I purchase my next Apple products on AMEX!

Please send my commission by paypal to yourwelcome@awesome.com :)

Edit to add: Thanks for the update. Proves that Applecare+ would have been a waste of money with $99 upfront and $75 when you replace your phone compare to the $40 you actually spent

Back