Am I crazy or did TIC just dump a lot of homes on the MLS?

IndieDev

Just checking my e-mail alerts, as I usually do around lunch, and found these:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/304-Bronze-92618/home/39990981http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/25-Sacred-Path-92618/home/39990949http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/19-Sacred-Path-92618/home/39990922http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/1953-LAND-GRANT-92618/home/39990859http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/159-Silverado-92618/unit-76/home/39886807

I don't think that's all of it, but it strikes me as weird that TIC would need help to sell these hot, brand new, homes. I mean, 2011 is supposed to be better than 2010 right? TIC said so.

Does TIC have to approve these homes going onto MLS or can the builder just list them on the MLS without TIC consent.

Anyone know if these properties dropped in price?  The only property I am familiar with is the 304 Bronze property which is from Santa Cruz.  The price seems higher than earlier this year, but there are some upgrades included.

annabanana said:
Does TIC have to approve these homes going onto MLS or can the builder just list them on the MLS without TIC consent.
I'm pretty sure TIC is aware of these listings... and as the master developer, if a builder needs help to sell a home by using the MLS, they should let them... especially in this "hot" 2011 home market.

IndieDev said:
villagepeople said:
IndieDev said:

yes indie, you are crazy... the homes were "dumped" by van daele homes and william lyon...

So yes, TIC did dump them.

If I'm not mistaken you had this long thread with iho where you were saying that tic does not have control over the market but now you are saying they are able to tell other companies when to put stuff on the mls?

villagepeople said:
IndieDev said:
villagepeople said:
IndieDev said:

yes indie, you are crazy... the homes were "dumped" by van daele homes and william lyon...

So yes, TIC did dump them.

If I'm not mistaken you had this long thread with iho where you were saying that tic does not have control over the market but now you are saying they are able to tell other companies when to put stuff on the mls?

Two different issues, not entirely related.

Don't worry, your San Mateo home may or may not be affected by the dump.

IndieDev said:

So tic can't control the market by limiting the homes they build on land they own, yet they can tell other builders when they can put homes on the mls...

Don't worry, your San Mateo home may or may not be affected by the dump.

Of course it does, every home put on the market regardless of price point and to a certain extent regardless of city, does affect every home on the market.  Whether the house is higher or lower than my house it takes one family out of the market.. that changes the supply demand equation... albiet on a minuscule level... but added up...

But I'm not worried about the home I bought because we like it and everything about it including the price and timing and we plan to stay in it for a long time... Sure home prices can drop and rents can drop but as of right now i will be paying  a little less than if I were to rent a similar dwelling.  We can go back and forth on opportunity cost of my cash on hand, or the fact that i could possibly hold out for 1 or 2 years to pick the absolute bottom, but you can no longer argue that point because if a house were purely a financial vehicle then you would sell your home bank the profits rent and buy at a lower price.

villagepeople said:
IndieDev said:

So tic can't control the market by limiting the homes they build on land they own, yet they can tell other builders when they can put homes on the mls...

Exactly.

you can no longer argue that point because if a house were purely a financial vehicle then you would sell your home bank the profits rent and buy at a lower price.

Of course I can. I never called a home a "financial vehicle". Those are your words.

IndieDev said:
villagepeople said:
IndieDev said:
Exactly.

...  i would think it's the opposite.
IndieDev said:
you can no longer argue that point because if a house were purely a financial vehicle then you would sell your home bank the profits rent and buy at a lower price.
Of course I can. I never called a home a "financial vehicle". Those are your words.

you are right you never used the term "financial vehicle"... but my point was that if you tried to tell anyone that they would lose out on this or miss out on that... then they can tell you to shut the front door cause you yourself, won't put your money where your mouth is by selling and locking the "gains"... by holding onto your house you have lost money from missed opportunity too.

villagepeople said:
The "opposite" is clearly wrong, and frankly, impossible.

you are right you never used the term "financial vehicle"... but my point was that if you tried to tell anyone that they would lose out on this or miss out on that... then they can tell you to shut the front door cause you yourself, won't put your money where your mouth is by selling and locking the "gains"... by holding onto your house you have lost money from missed opportunity too.
That's only if you look at a home as an "investment". That type of thinking ruined a decade of home ownership.

IndieDev said:
villagepeople said:
The "opposite" is clearly wrong, and frankly, impossible.

how am i "clearly wrong"?... you're saying they can't control themselves but yet can control others... i'm saying it's the opposite... they can control themselves and they can not control others...

That's only if you look at a home as an "investment". That type of thinking ruined a decade of home ownership.

we are in agreement here then.. you can't base home buying decisions on purely financial factors...

villagepeople said:
how am i "clearly wrong"?... you're saying they can't control themselves but yet can control others... i'm saying it's the opposite... they can control themselves and they can not control others...

That's not the opposite of the point I was making. Though even then, your point is still clearly wrong.

we are in agreement here then.. you can't base home buying decisions on purely financial factors...

No, you're simply confused on two separate issues, as I said, not entirely related.

IndieDev said:
villagepeople said:

That's not the opposite of the point I was making. Though even then, your point is still clearly wrong.

No, you're simply confused on two separate issues, as I said, not entirely related.

simply stating that i'm wrong doesn't prove your point... do you something to show that tic actually tells other builders when to put homes on the market?

Not sure this merits anything meaningful and my memory may be wrong, but when we visited Casero at Portola Springs last year, I overheard the sales lady said that TIC have some control of the margin the builders can make for these new home constructions. If that's true, yes TIC probably have some influence over other builders and when the new homes hit MLS, it will affect the margin.

akula1488 said:
Not sure this merits anything meaningful and my memory may be wrong, but when we visited Casero at Portola Springs last year, I overheard the sales lady said that TIC have some control of the margin the builders can make for these new home constructions. If that's true, yes TIC probably have some influence over other builders and when the new homes hit MLS, it will affect the margin.

Good catch, and that TIC suit is right.

That's one of the ways of manipulation (and there are others). I think it would be purposefully ignorant to assume that TIC doesn't have at least nominal control over their builders. I believe it's more.

villagepeople said:
simply stating that i'm wrong doesn't prove your point... you got facts to prove that show tic actually tells other builders when to put homes on the market?

If you're asking if I have direct financial transparency into TIC, then the answer to that question is no, of course not. Even if I did, I would never admit to it on a public forum.

However I do understand, to the cent, how profit seeking firms operate within a market. If you think TIC doesn't exert at least nominal control over the builders it works with, I think that's sort of telling on how much you know, compared to what you think you know, about how businesses behave, with all due respect of course.

IndieDev said:
akula1488 said:

Good catch, and that TIC suit is right.

That's one of the ways of manipulation (and there are others). I think it would be purposefully ignorant to assume that TIC doesn't have at least nominal control over their builders. I believe it's more.

The tone of the sales lady sounds like there is some kind of "promise" of the margin the builders would make: i.e. if you build this for me, you would get this % margin for your work.

Back