Almost done being a renter thanks to usctrojan

iceman

After a 6+ month search for a home in Irvine, we are finally in escrow on our soon-to-be home over in Northwood Pointe. We've been renting a home over in Westpark for the past 4 years since selling our home in the LA area. Thanks to IHB we held off on buying at the peak of the market. That being said, the itch to buy became really strong last year with prices down and interest rates really low so we contacted usctrojan to help us. The home buying process has had a lot of ups and downs. Getting excited when new listings came up and then getting disappointed when we got outbid by those dreaded FCBs. :-X We had no luck and were gonna settle on a Somona Plan 3 as we are expecting a third baby later on this year until usctrojan pulled a rabbit out of his hat and found us our dream home (it wasn't even listed). We are currently in escrow and have our inspection this weekend....we are so excited!!! Thank you usctrojan for all your hard work and patience with us.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Which tract in Northwood Pointe?[/quote]
The Silverado Plan 2 that's about 2,500sf with 4 bedrooms upstairs and a den downstairs. I'm hoping it's a BK approved home because I know that IHO would approve of the 3car garage...well, the 3rd would have to be a small compact to fit.

I am so jealous.

And mad at USC for finding an unlisted 3CWG without telling me... bad USC!

Good luck with your purchase and let us know how it works out.

Hm... 3CWG and Brightwater architect.... I can't decide and don't know what to say. Did you know CalPac had to shut down this project until the project across the street totally sold out before opening it again.

Congratulation, you will like the gated community. I know the secret code to get in. Nothing stop me from getting into gated communities. I wont tell anyone.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I am so jealous.

And mad at USC for finding an unlisted 3CG without telling me... bad USC!

Good luck with your purchase and let us know how it works out.[/quote]
Thank IHO. Have you seen the Silverado Plan 2? I have to admit that I'm also a 3car garage fan. We actually plan on using the downstairs den as a home office and have the kids upstairs.

We had picked out tracts in Oak Creek, Northwood II, and Northwood Pointe that we had liked. What usctrojan did was send out a very well written letter to several owners before we hit an owner who was willing to sell for a reasonable price.

Yes.... I've seen the Plan 2... it's very nice.

And this is what I mean... it's 2500 sft but can fit in 5 bedrooms (the den could be the 5th bedroom), a nook, formal living and dining, and a laundry room. It's got a high ceiling over the living, entry and stairs (I like that) and it's probably on a bigger lot than Carmels.

Those Silverado models (to me) are worth the prices Carmel is asking for.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Yes.... I've seen the Plan 2... it's very nice.

And this is what I mean... it's 2500 sft but can fit in 5 bedrooms (the den could be the 5th bedroom), a nook, formal living and dining, and a laundry room. It's got a high ceiling over the living, entry and stairs (I like that) and it's probably on a bigger lot than Carmels.

[/quote]
Agreed, the use of space is so efficient. A lot of the homes were bigger to get that 4 bedroom + den/loft layout. I like how open the plan seems and the lot looks twice the size of Carmel or Sonoma homes. Our kids will actually have a place to play and we can get them the doggie they always wanted. The home that we bought is in some need of updating, but we'll do that as we go. One step at a time.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Hm... 3CWG and Brightwater architect.... I can't decide and don't know what to say. Did you know CalPac had to shut down this project until the project across the street totally sold out before opening it again.

Congratulation, you will like the gated community. I know the secret code to get in. Nothing stop me from getting into gated communities. I wont tell anyone.[/quote]
Wow, I had no idea that the builder shut down the project. It would seem that this plan would have been very popular even back in the late 90s. BK, you are always full of interesting facts. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[quote author="graceomalley"]You bought the newest neighborhood with all 3CWG plans. [/quote]
That was the last 3car garage neighborhood that was built in Irvine? I had no idea.

Congratulations on your home purchase. I don't know much about the individual tracts but Northwood Pointe is a lovely area.

[quote author="traceimage"]Congratulations on your home purchase. I don't know much about the individual tracts but Northwood Pointe is a lovely area.[/quote]
Yeah, it's a nice quiet tract that we singled out as one that we would like to buy a home in. I think usctrojan had sent out about 25 letters on our behalf to the owners in Northwood Pointe, Oak Creek, and Northwood II. We only got 4 owners to respond to us and 3 of them were asking for prices that were above comps even with usctrojan taking care of everything for less than 2%. The seller that we are buying the home from was considering selling as his kids had moved out a few years ago and him and his wife wanted to move back east into something smaller.

[/quote]

Congratulations Iceman! NWPointe is a nice area.

IR's site has so many jpg images, which one is your plan 2?
http://floorplans.irvinerealtorsite.com/NorthwoodPointe/Silverado/

[quote author="IACRenter"]

[/quote]

Congratulations Iceman! NWPointe is a nice area.

IR's site has so many jpg images, which one is your plan 2?
http://floorplans.irvinerealtorsite.com/NorthwoodPointe/Silverado/[/quote]
It looks like the B one with 2,503sf. My wife loves how the kitchen flows with the family room and the dining room flows with the formal living room. I think it probably had one of the most efficient use of space of all the homes we saw. The other thing that was really nice was knowing that we didn't have to worry about getting into a bidding war with buyers who had unlimited funds.

I'm glad that I could have been of assistance for you guys. It took a little while but I'm glad you guys believed me when I said good things come to those who wait. It's still funny how one of those owners kept telling me that my comps were too low (mind you I had my MLS open right in front of him so he could see all the comps for himself) and how his home was worth $50k+ over comps. hahaha But at the end of the day, I'm very happy that you guys didn't settle.

[quote author="fe9000"]This is great! Congrats!! Great Job USC, fight on![/quote]
Thank you sir, just rolling up my sleeves to find the house for iceman. The letter strategy would have been what I would have used for you if the Woodbury homes weren't around.

[quote author="jumpcut"]
[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
Thank you sir, just rolling up my sleeves to find the house for iceman. The letter strategy would have been what I would have used for you if the Woodbury homes weren't around.[/quote]
This thread is instructive for me. I occasionally get these letters from Realtors but usually chuck them because I figure the agent doesn't really have a buyer...they're just trolling for listings. Maybe I'll pay closer attention next time.[/quote]
Those letters that I sent out were not super generic like using "dear owner" or "your home." I pulled up the property records and addressed the letter to the owner/s and telling them about my client. I specified their model and made it very clear that I was not looking to list their home but rather to do a private transaction where I would a fraction of the traditional commission. I'm positive that the letter that you received weren't as specific as I made mine.

I have to admit I'm surprised this worked out so well.

Like jumpcut, usually those letters are ignored or it is hard to find an owner who would be willing to sell.

This is actually a win-win for both seller/buyer:

Seller:
- No need to do open houses or have strangers running through your home daily (it was a pain for us to "stage" our house every morning)
- The buyer is pre-qual'ed so the worry of falling out of escrow is minimized
- The commission fee is lower than a traditional MLS listing (depending on agent)

Buyer:
- Like ice stated, no competition from other buyers
- You get a floorplan/model/house/location that you wanted
- If negotiated properly, you will usually get the price you are willing to pay

There are some cons, of course. For the seller, they may be able to get more on the open market, but that comes with its own issues. For the buyer, you may not get a "pristine" home, but if you are willing to do some work... it may be worth it.

Please let us know more about this once everything finalizes.

Back