Allstate Customer Service..

GraceOMalley_IHB

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with some Indian guy who 1. couldnt understand me. 2. Whose accent was so thick I could barely understand him and 3. Who claims his name is Daryl.

Now I have nothing against India, or Indians or well anyone, but what the heck is wrong with his real name? Do they really expect me to believe that this guys name is Daryl? Seriously... I recently had the same experience with a Russian Appliance Repair guy. Who claimed his name was "Steve".

I've worked with Indian and Russian development teams before and they always had names like Dmitry or Victor, or Ashok or Sanjeet.

As americas are we really that stupid?

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1255579419]I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with some Indian guy who 1. couldnt understand me. 2. Whose accent was so thick I could barely understand him and 3. Who claims his name is Daryl.

Now I have nothing against India, or Indians or well anyone, but what the heck is wrong with his real name? Do they really expect me to believe that this guys name is Daryl? Seriously... I recently had the same experience with a Russian Appliance Repair guy. Who claimed his name was "Steve".

I've worked with Indian and Russian development teams before and they always had names like Dmitry or Victor, or Ashok or Sanjeet.

As americas are we really that stupid?</blockquote>

Actually they are doing you a service. Many clients that i have worked with that have foreign names all seem to have an American name picked out because if you tried to say their real name you bastardize it and never be able to say it right. So i always thought it funny but it made things a whole lot easier while doing business...

[quote author="OCCOBRA" date=1255589301][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1255579419]I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with some Indian guy who 1. couldnt understand me. 2. Whose accent was so thick I could barely understand him and 3. Who claims his name is Daryl.

As americas are we really that stupid?</blockquote>

Actually they are doing you a service. Many clients that i have worked with that have foreign names all seem to have an American name picked out because if you tried to say their real name you bastardize it and never be able to say it right. So i always thought it funny but it made things a whole lot easier while doing business...</blockquote>

Ok but all Im saying is... do they really expect me to think that guys named Daryl? I think youre missing the irony.

I once received a phone call from Brad Anderson of Nigeria asking for my Bank Account number so he can deposit $ one million of my unclaimed sweepstake money.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1255594078]I once received a phone call from Brad Anderson of Nigeria asking for my Bank Account number so he can deposit $ one million of my unclaimed sweepstake money.</blockquote>

Drinks on BK!!

It's crazy how many of these types of e-mails I am still receiving in my spam box, do these really work on anyone anymore? I guess they must, or they'd stop. They are pretty entertaining, I can't help but read them from time to time. The language itself is a study in how English is translated into a much more formal form than we speak in the United States (granted, there are still several errors). I have to say that I've never actually received a phone call though.

I noticed the same thing recently when I called Dell for technical support. I don't know why it struck me as odd since I've encountered the same thing at nail salons for years.

I've been having many computer issues and so I also had to call McAfee because my security software was not updating. The guy who helped me could not solve the problem and he directed me to the McAfee website where I had to download and reinstall the security software. At the website, there was a world map and he told me to click on the U.S. Jokingly, I asked, "Where's that?" I waited about a second, laughed, and asked him if he has encountered customers who could not locate their country on a map. He said that he had, many times. Wow.

Back