all American asphalt

OH, some Eastwood, and a few Northwood ppl chimed in on Nextdoor.  I think there was a thread on here and some TI members said they couldn't smell a thing in OH, so its YMMV for the various neighborhoods.

akkord said:
OH, some Eastwood, and a few Northwood ppl chimed in on Nextdoor.  I think there was a thread on here and some TI members said they couldn't smell a thing in OH, so its YMMV for the various neighborhoods.

I smell nothing in the Groves side of OH. Which makes sense considering how much farther west it is. I think most of it is concentrated along the Jeffrey corridor. On Nextdoor there were complaints from Stonegate as well.

misme said:
akkord said:

I smell nothing in the Groves side of OH. Which makes sense considering how much farther west it is. I think most of it is concentrated along the Jeffrey corridor. On Nextdoor there were complaints from Stonegate as well.

It must be the guard gate. Guaranteed to keep criminals and toxic fumes out of your community.  :)

iacrenter said:
misme said:
akkord said:

It must be the guard gate. Guaranteed to keep criminals and toxic fumes out of your community.  :)

It has nothing to do with the gate, just geography. I'm pretty sure Reserves which is even more hoity toity with its guard gate, vaunted IUSD and higher elevations  is not immune to the fumes due to location, closer to Jeffrey and the plant.  Waiting for residents of the Reserves to jump down my throat now...

There were people protesting the American Asphalt on the corner of Culver/Portola mid day today, a small group on every corner of the intersection.

This is what happens when you don't read the Terms of Service disclosures (so to speak). How is this a surprise to owners in the area? Didn't the builders tell everyone about nearby hazards?

My guess is that they are more at risk from the soil beneath them - given all of the fertilizer, oil smoke residue (during the time the orange groves were there) and all of the Native American bones buried nearby - than from any airborne particles.

My .02vc

Its okay they sell girl scout cookies now.
2DFD139D00000578-3298376-image-m-37_1446321581041.jpg

Soylent Green Is People said:
This is what happens when you don't read the Terms of Service disclosures (so to speak). How is this a surprise to owners in the area? Didn't the builders tell everyone about nearby hazards?

My guess is that they are more at risk from the soil beneath them - given all of the fertilizer, oil smoke residue (during the time the orange groves were there) and all of the Native American bones buried nearby - than from any airborne particles.

My .02vc

Actually, the builders didn't disclose about All American Asphalt until 2018 or later for those in the Reserve. For those of us who bought in Eastwood before that, there was no disclosure. The public report I have listed hazards from the electrical substations, wireless facilities to the Bowerman Landfill, but not All American Asphalt.

Interesting. Nothing from either HOA either? Seems odd in this day and age not to have this listed. Could it be a distance issue? Example - OH would not have required disclosures about the 5 freeway and it's noise or pollution because of distance. Same with the landfill given how far away it is. Perhaps a disclosure about the 261 is in there, but zip a dee doo dah about American Asphalt seems out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the perspective.

maybe we should have each of these cars in front of the sales office in OH and EW :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 6.40.27 PM.JPG
    Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 6.40.27 PM.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 265
Sometimes I blame this on the city for allowing to build  on the edges of the city. The plant was possibly build years ago at a distance from homes.
OH4 will likely be closest. The plant is right behind the Orchard.

Attachments

• 16425212382872634967327815985459.jpg
    16425212382872634967327815985459.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
sleepy5136 said:
maybe we should have each of these cars in front of the sales office in OH and EW :)

Tbh. Who would want to live by an asphalt company? Not priceless, wake up to the smell of asphalt. idk

In some third world countries or developing markets there are like absolutely no planning and regulations. The question is: Who planned this and zoned it this way?

eyephone said:
In some third world countries or developing markets there are like absolutely no planning and regulations. The question is: Who planned this and zoned it this way?

The County of Orange. Irvine annexed the land with the asphalt plant in place.

Interesting news coming out today.

Irvine Officials Look to Move Controversial Asphalt Factory Through Legal Settlement
https://voiceofoc.org/2022/02/irvin...ial-asphalt-factory-through-legal-settlement/

"Following a discussion behind closed doors on Tuesday night, Mayor Farrah Khan announced the city would begin looking into a settlement with All American Asphalt, reading a short statement prepared by city attorney Jeff Melching.

?The settlement will require the relocation of All American Asphalt to a different site outside of Irvine,? Khan said. ?The settlement should require All American Asphalt implement and follow a series of mitigation measures.?

However, details on the exact terms are still up in the air.

In a phone call after Tuesday?s council meeting, City Manager Oliver Chi said while no formal settlement has been negotiated, the staff are slated to begin pushing for two main goals: the relocation of the plant and efforts to mitigate the effects on residents until the factory closes."

mythicquest said:
Interesting news coming out today.

Irvine Officials Look to Move Controversial Asphalt Factory Through Legal Settlement
https://voiceofoc.org/2022/02/irvin...ial-asphalt-factory-through-legal-settlement/

"Following a discussion behind closed doors on Tuesday night, Mayor Farrah Khan announced the city would begin looking into a settlement with All American Asphalt, reading a short statement prepared by city attorney Jeff Melching.

?The settlement will require the relocation of All American Asphalt to a different site outside of Irvine,? Khan said. ?The settlement should require All American Asphalt implement and follow a series of mitigation measures.?

However, details on the exact terms are still up in the air.

In a phone call after Tuesday?s council meeting, City Manager Oliver Chi said while no formal settlement has been negotiated, the staff are slated to begin pushing for two main goals: the relocation of the plant and efforts to mitigate the effects on residents until the factory closes."

IP wants to clear out any controversies with the plant before OH 4 debuts!

Back