Aliso Viejo - Glenwood - Pasadera

Gohabsgo_IHB

<strong>Village:</strong> Glenwood

<strong>Tract:</strong> Pasadera (152 single family residences) in the City of Alsio Viejo

<strong>Builder:</strong> Shea Homes

<strong>Schools:</strong> Oak Grove Elementary, Aliso Viejo Middle School, Aliso Niguel High School

<strong>Tax Rate: </strong>Base property tax rate of 1.14% and Mello Roos/Special Assessments of about $5000-$6000/year depending of sq. ft.

<strong>HOA Dues:</strong> $181

<strong>Deposit Required:</strong> $20,000

<strong>Plans:</strong>

Residence 1 - 3-4bd/3ba - 2652 sq. ft.

Residence 2 - 4bd/3ba - 2718 sq. ft.

Residence 3 - 3-4bd/3ba - 3163 sq. ft.

<strong>PRICING</strong>

Phase ? (June 1, 2008)

Residence 1 - From $699,900

Residence 2 - From $716,900

Residence 3 - From $756,900

What do you think of this new development?

Next to the Aliso Viejo Country Club, close to the Aquatic Center, and 4 miles from the beach.

They don't offer any incentives right now, releasing very few homes every phases (only 3 homes this month). They've started in late '07 I believe.

$ per square foot is pretty good ($239 to $264). Even if you add 10% for upgrades and doing a nice (small) yard, it is still under $300/ sq. ft.

Personally, I really liked them, nicely laid out and some nice upgrades included in base price.

Thanks for the post Roos,

I already posted this on the other Aliso Viejo thread, but also wanted to post this message here. Thanks in advance.

Questions:

In your opinion, what would be the main reasons why Aliso Viejo would be on average $100,000 less than a home in Irvine? Is it the schools?, Is it the access to freeways? Access to work? Older Homes? AV seems to be a much nicer place to live than Garden Grove, but the average home prices seem to be at same level as that of Garden Grove.

I have been looking mostly in the Northern Irvine area for a home, but I mean AV does not seem to be a bad location as it is closer to the pacific ocean than Northern Irvine. I do travel quite a bit so a close proximately to John Wayne Airport factors in to my home buying decision. Would the distance be the same to get to the airport from Portola Springs/Woodbury in Irvine compared to Aliso Viejo?

I am also looking for some office/warehouse spaces in AV. Where would most of them be located in AV? Are rents in AV equivalent to Irvine, or 10-20% less. If I were to purchase an 2000 - 2500 sq/ft office/warehouse in AV, by what percentage would they be cheaper than buying the same office/warehouse space in Irvine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Visited yesterday. Prices are for June move-in (homes are currently being built)

Residence One: $709,900 - $726,900

Residence Two: $721 - $744,900

Residence Three: $769,900 - $799,900

Panda, the drive to John Wayne is really short from AV, especially from this location. The time would be equivalent compared to driving from Woodbury but it would cost you $5 more because you would need to take the toll road. I used to live in AV and the nice thing about the drive to JW is that you can leave during rush hour and not have to worry about any traffic on your way to the airport.

Checked out Pasadera again and was very disappointed that they jacked up their HOA from $181 to $233. I was like, $233 HOA for a single family home? You got to be kidding right? The sales lady told me that extra golf course social membership fee is now mandatory, not optional. After hearing that, I feel less confident that I am going to buy in buying in Pasadera. I really do like the layout of the Plan 2, but the location just feels a little bit isolated and far from everything. Driving around Irvine, it just feels and seems right that i will be happy living there. I think CK and IR2 is right.

[quote author="IRVINITEEEE" date=1232864860]There's already a Plan 2 resale.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/35-Old-Mission-Rd-92656/home/17897546</blockquote>

There's 3 on redfin. The one above and 2 on San Marcos

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/26-San-Marcos-Ln-92656/home/18515563">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/26-San-Marcos-Ln-92656/home/18515563</a>

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/28-San-Marcos-Ln-92656/home/18531222">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/28-San-Marcos-Ln-92656/home/18531222</a>

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/35-San-Marcos-Ln-92656/home/18532091">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/35-San-Marcos-Ln-92656/home/18532091</a>

[quote author="PANDA" date=1232726932]Checked out Pasadera again and was very disappointed that they jacked up their HOA from $181 to $233. I was like, $233 HOA for a single family home? You got to be kidding right? The sales lady told me that extra golf course social membership fee is now mandatory, not optional. After hearing that, I feel less confident that I am going to buy in buying in Pasadera. I really do like the layout of the Plan 2, but the location just feels a little bit isolated and far from everything. Driving around Irvine, it just feels and seems right that i will be happy living there. I think CK and IR2 is right.</blockquote>

Glenwood is an epic disappointment. We were initially impressed with some of the models but were quickly turned away by the atrocious community layout. The homes are crammed in there tight. The roads are narrow and with no driveways for any of the homes (garages are behind the homes) all the savages are/will be parking their POS's in the street. It's a glorified condo complex. One way in, one way out could get a little congested at times. I hope this development sits atop an active and angry volcano.

As for AV, I feel like Irvine like you do about AV. Is it so isolated? Everything is within 1-2 miles of a large shopping center as well as <1 mile from huge wilderness parks. On one side you have Aliso Woods/Trails that extend from the ocean to Santiago Canyon. On the other you have all the trails on the Laguna Canyon side. The 5 might take 5-10 minutes to get to but the 73 is minutes from everyone. I say all this as someone who probably won't repurchase in AV but I'd be even less likely to move to Irvine. To each his own, I just thought your take on AV isolation was slightly inaccurate.

When looking for a place to buy, I did not want to leave Irvine at all. The more we looked, the less we saw that we liked. Even out of our budget, places in Irvine weren't very appealing.

We came to Aliso Viejo and I have NO regrets!

We looked at some condos at Glenwood and were turned off by all of the extra fees.

I too have been looking in Irvine (only) but have started looking in AV lately and I'm liking it. I find it prettier than Irvine. The houses are bigger and nicer.

I think the main reason AV is marginally cheaper than Irvine is due to its accessibility to 5 and 405 as well as its distance from where most of the Orange County jobs are (Irvine, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa). I think majority of the people who live in AV commute to these places as there are less number of big employers in AV. Schools in AV are not bad at all.

Aliso Viejo is very nice if you like ... Aliso Viejo. The neighborhoods are good, there are jobs, restaurants, etc.

But it's a huge pain to get to the 5/405 and go somewhere else.

I used to work in AV and the commute from Irvine was up to 25mins, most of it off the highway.

The only way out is to pay for the 73. As someone mentioned that's $5+ in one direction, so $10+ a day.

Using 73 you can get to John Wayne in <15 mins.

Add that to your HOA and Mello Roos: $300 per month per person.

Otherwise, if you want to go to, say, Corona del Mar, the fastest way is to drive up to 5, then take that to Irvine, Jamboree Rd, and then from there drive down towards Fashion Island. 35-40 mins instead of 10-15 using 73.

(BTW, someone who bought a house there told me that the homeowners in some parts of AV close to 73 have to pay taxes to pay for the building of 73. Not sure if that was in the Mellow Roo or separate.)

Regarding this development, I think I was at a party there. These houses should be called townhomes or detached condos or whatever, because the yards are non-existant. (I think it was the same community, but I'm not 100% sure.)

The short answer, IMO, it's cheaper because the location is significantly more remote. Still, I know a lot of people that like it and want to live there (and they do).

One agent I talked to steered me away from AV saying it was "too industrial" and that there are "too many apartments". I have never explored it, so I have no clue if this is true. Just passing along one agent's message about AV.

We?ve checked on Pasadera models and thought they are nice. But the turn-offs are the location and school district. 5 or 405 are not easy to be assessed in AV. Oftentimes you need to use 73 and the toll is much higher than say 241. For my commute to RSM, although the straight line distance is not much but I need to use all surface streets. Fur my husband?s commute to North OC that?s also a pain. We eventually chose a house that has very easy assess to 5 at MV.

And we are not big fans of Capistrano school district so we ended our consideration on AV houses although there are nice communities out there.

<strong>[quote author="hedgehog" date=1243867996]

But it's a huge pain to get to the 5/405 and go somewhere else.

I used to work in AV and the commute from Irvine was up to 25mins, most of it off the highway.

The only way out is to pay for the 73. As someone mentioned that's $5+ in one direction, so $10+ a day.

Using 73 you can get to John Wayne in <15 mins.

Add that to your HOA and Mello Roos: $300 per month per person.

Otherwise, if you want to go to, say, Corona del Mar, the fastest way is to drive up to 5, then take that to Irvine, Jamboree Rd, and then from there drive down towards Fashion Island. 35-40 mins instead of 10-15 using 73.

quote]</strong>

In regards to the commute in and out of Aliso. I currently live in AV and work in Anaheim off the 57. Based on the traffic in Tustin, it takes me about 30-35 minutes to get to work. Going to places like Corona Del Mar is not that difficult as you only have to take Laguna Canyon (133) down to LB and then up the 1 for about 10 minutes. Laguna Canyon Road/133 is a great option for anyone traveling north on the 405 or 5.

I would much rather prefer the commute from Aliso Viejo to that of Laguna Niguel. Crown Valley Parkway is a joke and that dumps you a lot farther south than either Alicia or Laguna Canyon Road.

Back