Aliso Viejo Discussion Thread

We're looking at some houses in Pacific Ridge. Its near Aliso Creek and Glenwood. Right across from Laguna Audubon. We do like a couple of floor plans there. Anyone got any opinion about those houses?

Nice houses, sizeable mello roos, no real association amenities (pool, tennis courts, etc) although a 'city' central amenity area is being developed.

I was looking that way for a while and it is not bad but there is barely anything available and people overbid for what is left. I believe there were a lot of option arms used in that city and the day of reckoning for option arms will begin 1st quarter of 2010 through the end of 2011 so I have a feeling that prices on the nicer houses may have more to drop. But I could also be way off base.

When I was looking there last year, regular sellers wanted too much and scoffed at my offers. I checked the tax records a month ago and every single one of them ended up selling for 20K-60K less than what I offered which was 50K-80K less than their asking already. That made me smile except for one home that I really, really wanted bad but the seller was not being a good negotiator. He had the "take my price or leave it" attitude. I guess it cost him $20K less than what I offered which was $45K less than what he was asking (sold for $65K less than his asking (20K+45K)). Now I look up valuations for that neighborhood and they are $35K less than what he sold at so he still did better than if he waited to sell this year.

Have not been paying much attention to Aliso Viejo lately since have found myself very happy with my current neighborhood in Irvine. But unfortunately the stubborn prices in Irvine are at least $100k more than I want to pay, and I'm not convinced Irvine prices will be where we need them on our timetable.

And then I see something like this in AV:

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/38-Beech-Dr-92656/home/4870899">38 Beech Dr</a>

Gawd, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for, at EXACTLY the price I want to pay. And it is a mile closer to my office at the Spectrum than from West Irvine. Does anyone in AV have any feedback on this neighborhood? I'm vaguely familiar with the area as we have been to Scooter's Jungle and the ice rink several times (which appear to be right around the corner) ---- but if anyone has any more specfic feedback on this area (school, etc) I'd be interested. I'd have to put together a really good case to pry Ms. CK out of the friendly confines of Irvine....

Can't help you much with the school info and the such. I've never really heard a bad thing about the school's in Aliso though...

I saw that same property as well. Nice kitchen, floors, etc... They definitely priced this property more in-line with the true sales prices. I still think this kind of property ends up going for around $480k, but probably not for another year +. Right now, it's a good deal compared to the other lunatic listings.

[quote author="CK" date=1249602632]Have not been paying much attention to Aliso Viejo lately since have found myself very happy with my current neighborhood in Irvine. But unfortunately the stubborn prices in Irvine are at least $100k more than I want to pay, and I'm not convinced Irvine prices will be where we need them on our timetable.

And then I see something like this in AV:

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/38-Beech-Dr-92656/home/4870899">38 Beech Dr</a>

Gawd, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for, at EXACTLY the price I want to pay. And it is a mile closer to my office at the Spectrum than from West Irvine. Does anyone in AV have any feedback on this neighborhood? I'm vaguely familiar with the area as we have been to Scooter's Jungle and the ice rink several times (which appear to be right around the corner) ---- but if anyone has any more specfic feedback on this area (school, etc) I'd be interested. I'd have to put together a really good case to pry Ms. CK out of the friendly confines of Irvine....</blockquote>

Although it doesn't say it is a short sale on Redfin, it is. The $640k first has an additional $51k in back payments, interest, and fees according to the NOD that was filed in June. And... that doesn't include the $160k second. Ahhh... good ole 2005, when 100% stated financing was the goal to homedebtorship. 35 Beech also has a NOD filed on it, but the loan situation there is kinda wacky. 9 Chestnut, 7 and 23 Poplar have NODs too. Chestnut is the only one not underwater, yet.

Not trying to rain on your parade CK, but thought the info might be of use to you. Call up Deuce to go check it out. If you like the hood there, then this would be a nice house for you and your fam at that price. If you do move there, you will wonder why the beer doesn't disappear as fast.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1249623515]

Although it doesn't say it is a short sale on Redfin, it is. The $640k first has an additional $51k in back payments, interest, and fees according to the NOD that was filed in June. And... that doesn't include the $160k second. Ahhh... good ole 2005, when 100% stated financing was the goal to homedebtorship. 35 Beech also has a NOD filed on it, but the loan situation there is kinda wacky. 9 Chestnut, 7 and 23 Poplar have NODs too. Chestnut is the only one not underwater, yet.

Not trying to rain on your parade CK, but thought the info might be of use to you. Call up Deuce to go check it out. If you like the hood there, then this would be a nice house for you and your fam at that price. If you do move there, you will wonder why the beer doesn't disappear as fast.</blockquote>

Appreciate it, Graph. Like the old saying goes --- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I need to stop looking at AV, anyways. You and I both know I'll never get that approved.

[quote author="CK" date=1249634591][quote author="graphrix" date=1249623515]

Not trying to rain on your parade CK, but thought the info might be of use to you. Call up Deuce to go check it out. If you like the hood there, then this would be a nice house for you and your fam at that price. If you do move there, you will wonder why the beer doesn't disappear as fast.</blockquote>

Appreciate it, Graph. Like the old saying goes --- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I need to stop looking at AV, anyways. You and I both know I'll never get that approved.</blockquote>

C'mon CK. You and I both know that all your Korean friends who live on your street, your buddies you have a Bulgogi BBQ Block Party every weekend with, will feel betrayed if you move to Aliso Viejo. Stop looking up Aliso Viejo on Redfin. Panda says, "Stop it!"

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1258794692][quote author="OC Guy" date=1258789540]Bump. Currently looking in AV.</blockquote>

and?

what information do you have to share?</blockquote>

I'll post back later when I go around to open houses today. :)

Back