Air Conditioning (AC) Tune-Up?

woodburyowner

Anyone get regularly scheduled AC tune-up service?  I never do, but I figure it might be a good idea every few years.  All the websites from the tune-up companies say to do it once and year and make it analogous to tuning up your car.  Just wanted to check on people's experience with this.  Going rate seems to be around $60 so it's not that big of a deal.  I just want to make sure my AC is in tip top shape and there is not potential for an expensive repair if I don't address some small issue now.

For $60 it is surely a loss leader to try to find issues to upsell other services.  No surprise that the companies that sell it think it should be done once a year, just as Jiffylube thinks you should change your oil every 3000 miles.  It's cheap insurance, right?  (Has anyone here ever lost a car due to infrequent oil changes?).  I am a certified (EPA sect. 609) and equipped auto ac guy, and the principles with home ac are the same.  There's not a lot that can go wrong in a year, barring one time events that can't be prevented, and very few preventive items that a homeowner can't do themselves with a bit of research.  Most of the service involves visual checks, just like the free or cheap "xx-point inspection" for your cars, which then lead to new brake pads, rotors, batteries and whatever else. 

I imagine that at the end of the visit, the tech will let you know that the current going to the compressor (or the fan) is a little high, which is a sign of wear (wow, good thing we caught it in time--you're so lucky!).  If the compressor goes out it will be very costly to fix, so you should replace it now to be safe.  Of course this will be very costly too, but it's the right thing to do, right?  Not so cheap insurance. 

Do some research.  Then you can either do some things yourself, or at the very least be informed so you can ask the right questions if the tech recommends further service, and try to figure out if there's a legitimate concern, or if they're just using fear to sell you a 10000 mile transmission flush.

BTW, what does a "tune-up" involve in a modern car?  Food for thought.

I believe my unit needs refrigerant since it's been about 6 years since it was charged.  I can't find any literature (other than http://www.emersonclimate.com/Documents/2008ECT-113.pdf)  on my compressor (Copeland CR42K6-PFV) so I think I will call out a HVAC service person.  Is there any recommendations?

Is the AC not performing well?  You can't use age to determine if an AC needs recharging.  The refrigerant does not get consumed, just cycled around and around.  If it's low, it's because the system has a leak (which will need to be found and fixed prior to recharging).  Unfortunately your system appears to use R-22, which is being phased out (contains CFCs), so prices have gone up a lot in the past few years for the stuff.  The EPA did the same thing with R-12 that cars used before 1994.  Back in the good old days before people other than eco-scientists knew what "ozone" was, you would buy cans of R-12 at Walmart for 50 cents (and dump the contents into coolers at the family picnic to chill the sodas).  A phase-out means it can't be used in new designs, manufactured or imported.  At its peak R-12 was wholesaling for over $1000 for a 30-lb container, and A/C shops charged 2-3x what they paid.

the air is not as cool as I think it should be since it can't cool the house down below 80 on a hot day like last week.  the amount of air coming out of the vent is good, and i've changed the filter just to be sure.  that's why i'm guessing is the refrigerant.  i don't know too much how a/c units so that is why i want to make sure everything is running optimally.

Check to make sure the outside coil unit is clean and nothing's blocking airflow through and around the fins.  There are several things that can be the cause so if you hire someone, it's probably best to let them diagnose it.  If you tell them up front you want it recharged you might save a diagnostic fee, but spend several times that amount without getting it fixed.

Back