After school programs

@Crispy

you spent a year at Montessori and didn't see results with your daughter and yet you're considering Montessori TK?  I see your hesitation, given that public school seems like "less care".  I was in a similar situation last year:  public kinder or private?  My wife and I are pretty much working full time and transitioning from 'super caring' Montessori to trailer park CDC was an eye opener. 

But that is through OUR eyes, not our daughter's eyes.  She loves CDC, I would say more so than kinder.  At morning dropoff my daughter goes out of her way to say hello to a particular favorite teacher at CDC.  She's usually more of an introvert, and this action surprised me quite a bit.  She never greeted her Montessori teachers like this.  She's made friends in her kinder classes, hopefully friendships that can last and being from the same neighborhood makes it easier. 

Maybe injecting your daughter into a newer, dynamic environment will snap her out of her 'funk'.  Public school teachers have a very particular set of skills, skills they have acquired over a very long career.  IUSD (and TUSD serving Irvine) hires the best, no?

bones said:
Crispy3 said:
Part of the reason is that I think teachers in overpriced preschools are less strict because they want to keep the kids/parents happy. It is a shame because I really do like the Montessori program and philosophy.

It really depends on which Montessori and sometimes within the Montessori, which teacher.  Just like it is at any preschool or public school.  You really have to find the right fit for your child and sometimes you may have to fight for it.  $1500/month doesn't magically solve issues.

I agree.. It is what I have been trying to explain to my wife, expensive doesn't always mean the best. I have a few tours setup for the next couple of weeks hopefully we'll find something that is the right fit.

ps9 said:
@Crispy

you spent a year at Montessori and didn't see results with your daughter and yet you're considering Montessori TK?  I see your hesitation, given that public school seems like "less care".  I was in a similar situation last year:  public kinder or private?  My wife and I are pretty much working full time and transitioning from 'super caring' Montessori to trailer park CDC was an eye opener. 

But that is through OUR eyes, not our daughter's eyes.  She loves CDC, I would say more so than kinder.  At morning dropoff my daughter goes out of her way to say hello to a particular favorite teacher at CDC.  She's usually more of an introvert, and this action surprised me quite a bit.  She never greeted her Montessori teachers like this.  She's made friends in her kinder classes, hopefully friendships that can last and being from the same neighborhood makes it easier. 

Maybe injecting your daughter into a newer, dynamic environment will snap her out of her 'funk'.  Public school teachers have a very particular set of skills, skills they have acquired over a very long career.  IUSD (and TUSD serving Irvine) hires the best, no?

I wouldn't mind her being at public school if it was longer than 3 and a half hours. I don't understand why IUSD and TUSD still have not converted the TK and K program to full days. I am sure the public school teachers are great, I have a couple as a neighbors. But CDC is a different story. We are zoned for Myford but my daughter would be going to Peters Canyon since Myford doesn't have a TK program. I toured both Myford and PC's CDC program and it really was trailer park. Kids of all ages mixed together and not a whole lot of interaction. It was basically day care... This is why I originally started the thread asking if anyone knew good after school programs. Again.. I am all for the public school system, it is why we moved to Irvine after all. Unfortunately the CDC at our home school is crap.

Crispy3 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Been a LONG time since I had kids (IUSD had a preschool-K Montessori that was $250 per month, $500 for afterschool care and half price for second kids)....... that's how LONG ago so obviously I'm not in tune with what is going on with kids nowadays but have you considered trying to find someone studying to be a teacher to come to your home in the afternoons?

My youngest daughter called herself a nanny because she was kind of a Mary Poppins person without any housekeeping duties for a family when she was a student at CSUF. She got paid pretty well (I think $20 per hour in cash about 6-7 years ago). She took care of an older child around 8 or so but also two younger ones, helped them with their homework and took them on outings on school holidays, took them  to the park, etc. I am pretty sure they played with other kids while she watched them as well. When she started, they had behavioral issues but somehow she got them in line. She drove herself to their home in the afternoons.

When she graduated from college and got a teaching job (2nd grade) their mom and all the kids cried.

I would love to have a Mary Poppins at home.. but I think since my daughter is having behavior issues, it would be good for her to be involved and socialize with other kids. A classroom environment would probably be best for her to grow in. I am considering regular preschools with out the Montessori name or price tag. Part of the reason is that I think teachers in overpriced preschools are less strict because they want to keep the kids/parents happy. It is a shame because I really do like the Montessori program and philosophy.

It all depends on the teacher.  Some teachers at my kids Montessori are more strict than others. 

I'm looking for a good after school program as well...  wish there were better options than CDC. 

Crispy3 said:
ps9 said:
@Crispy

I wouldn't mind her being at public school if it was longer than 3 and a half hours. I don't understand why IUSD and TUSD still have not converted the TK and K program to full days. I am sure the public school teachers are great, I have a couple as a neighbors. But CDC is a different story. We are zoned for Myford but my daughter would be going to Peters Canyon since Myford doesn't have a TK program. I toured both Myford and PC's CDC program and it really was trailer park. Kids of all ages mixed together and not a whole lot of interaction. It was basically day care... This is why I originally started the thread asking if anyone knew good after school programs. Again.. I am all for the public school system, it is why we moved to Irvine after all. Unfortunately the CDC at our home school is crap.

Trailer park - classic

1. Most CDCs are in trailers... so that's a fair comparison. :)

2. The "value" of a CDC actually varies by school and company running it.

3. To compare them to daycares is actually correct because that's what they are. If you are expecting some education aspect, that's not really going to happen. They do have homework time but it's more about outdoor activities, playing and crafts (and the staff is limited on how much homework help they can provide). One of the ones we toured actually sets aside a reading time during the summer so your kids' brains don't get too shriveled up.

Because of the short day, we made the decision to keep our kids in Montessori (FYI we used the Irvine Montessori, Northpark, WestPark, Village, Uni). Socially, not much of a difference between 1st grade and K so your kids won't be missing out on establishing who their BFF is and you'll find many kids go in and out of public school (my youngest 2 closest friends won't be at their school next year).

I actually prefer the onsite afterschool care because of the convenience and if you also sign your kids up for IPSF/ACE classes, you don't have to worry about moving them around.

Good luck, it's not an easy decision.

Crispy3 said:
Hi Guys,

My daughter is starting TK this fall @ Peters Canyon (moving from LePort Montessori OH). I am trying to find some after school programs for her as the CDC at Peters Canyon doesn't look too appealing to me.

Anyone have any suggestions? Wife doesn't mind driving her around for multiple activities.
http://www.henleyyouthcenter.org/
They do K-8 after school programs, but not sure about TK.

Some Montessori with immersion programs are around 1,800 now. Much like MR, subject to increase every year, and sure enough they do

AW said:
Some Montessori with immersion programs are around 1,800 now. Much like MR, subject to increase every year, and sure enough they do

Friend of mine is sending her kid to leport in Brooklyn for Spanish immersion. It's $3,000 per month for full day + after school care.  Crazy!

choobacca said:
Crispy3 said:
Hi Guys,

My daughter is starting TK this fall @ Peters Canyon (moving from LePort Montessori OH). I am trying to find some after school programs for her as the CDC at Peters Canyon doesn't look too appealing to me.

Anyone have any suggestions? Wife doesn't mind driving her around for multiple activities.
http://www.henleyyouthcenter.org/
They do K-8 after school programs, but not sure about TK.

I actually got a tour setup for creator's corner next week. It's got a wait list as well..

Back