After 10 years in Irvine...I moved to the 'Hood and loving it !

That was literally exhausting. Seriously, my eyes hurt.

Savinglots - how do you consider living in a high-rise in LBC more convenient or preferable to renting a large SFR in Irvine or thereabouts? I'm just curious, as I despise the traffic in around LBC and wouldn't be caught dead living in a high-rise.

I applaud your coming back and dealing with the snark! If you are for real, you sound super happy with where you live, and that is really all that matters.

There are many lifestyles to select from and Irvine is not the only one nor is the "OC". I lived there for 30 years and had all of the toys including a 34' sailboat in Dana Harbor, HD motorcycles, ocean view homes, and racecars.

I never lived more than one mile from the beach including bluff top white water views and enjoyed the true "socal beach lifestyle." It went away in the early 90's with the demographic changes and the area become way too crowded.

After spending a lot of time in the mountains of Arizona I elected to relocate and I truly enjoy the outdoors, clean air, lack of traffic, and really friendly people.

I have friends who have lived the urban life in downtown San Diego and love it. Way too crowded for me but it fits their needs. They have a small 2 bedroom in a highrise in Little Italy and a home in a compound at the Bufadora in Mexico and split time between the 2 areas. Very unique lifestyles.

There are a lot of choices for people in our great country and thankfully we don't all live in the same way. I can understand waking up to a panoramic ocean view and the vibes of downtown living along with the activities such as the Grand Prix. I don't want to do it but can understand it.

My thought is that the poster is legit and expressing his views.

Viva la differance!!

Enjoy life.

I agree. There is much to be said for the LBC. I do prefer the South LBC but if I were single and had a valid gun permit I might think of living downtown

<p>Saving, I appreciate your sincerity of your second post. Correct me if I am wrong. I am sensing that you have issues dealing with how people see you. I came across numerous individuals who lacked self confidence because they did not attend college. These individuals have to prove to their friends and family that they could also be successful by surrounding themselves with items of luxury and status. Fancy cars and residence of status such as a high rise for example. </p>

<p>These same individuals also felt being a boss could escalate themselves to a higher statue. However, their self esteem and the constant fear and feeling of people looking down on them remain in their thoughts and often misinterpreted good gestures as negative remarks. This self fulfilled prophesy of being inferior lead to alienation and loneness. </p>

<p>I have clients with new money who built ostentatious homes to show the world of their self made success. I came from much worse background and failed miserably in English. I slipped through rigorous college curriculums avoiding most English classes. Writing is still my biggest fear but I enjoy the practices here on IHB. It takes forever to compose my thoughts and often struggled with too many unrelated ideas. </p>

<p>Break up your writing into short paragraphs for the readers so they can rest their eyes and when they return they can easily resume from where they had left off. Keep your subject matter informative and state the intention of your writing so we all do not have to guess your real intention and misinterpreted you as a spammer . </p>

<p>Too many typo errors convey a message that you do not care enough about your readers. Do you feel more superior by living (renting) in a highrise being above the rest of the city? I am interested in the psychology of highrise dwellers.</p>

<p>By the way, the guy who made "hot pockets" built his "Breaker" of the west in Pelican Crest. It is 52,000 sf with ocean view and Pelican golf course. Breaker built during the Gilded Age 1870's was the largest home in Newport, Rhode Island owned by the Vanderbilts. </p>

<p>Bix</p>

<p>Are they really issueing them and what requirements are there. I can carry in aprox 30 states but not the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.</p>

<p>enjoy</p>

<p>I'm answering bk's question although I know I'm not the subject of his question, but high rise living has a bit of the novelty factor for me, plus I never lived in a house with a view, and high rise living has the best views possible. I wouldn't feel superior, I'd just feel that I was doing something different. I lived in the suburbs all my life (for the kids' education) and I always felt I'd be in a more urban environment as I neared retirement. Irvine is great because it represents the "big city" with easy access to authentic restaurants and close to a "safe" urban jungle. I also have ideas of moving to San Francisco or Toronto or a similar big city for a year or so just to experience urban living, and there, highrise or high density residences are the only option. However, in Southern Cal, high rises are a novelty option, but they are probably a lot of fun and at the renting vs. buying costs, a good value, like Saving is finding out.</p>

I live in a high rise also; it works well because of the zero maintenance lifestyle. The other nice things are building security, ample guest parking, and as silly as this sounds, having someone at the front desk who can sign for packages. Also, the walls seem to be thicker, so we never hear neighbors or anyone above us. I do miss having a garage and driveway, car washes are an ordeal.

Downtown LB isn't so bad; just don't go too far north.

Bkshopr

your post really blew me away and you are correct in some of your thoughts.

YES, I do have issues dealing with how people see me... But its not because of not attending college and I it is not because I am trying to prove anything. I have been having REAL ISSUES for 3/4 years now with having to defend myself on buying a "RENTER" . People on a constant Basis (up to the Sub Prime bust last year) would questing why someone of my success would be choosing to RENT and not buy property. I got the feeling that some- Not all people felt they were better then me because they own a house. Its the Smugness...like that South park episode. I had the money to buy a really nice place.. but I felt the crash was coming and I did fell Inferior- YES !! So my declaration is of JOY that I was RIGHT not to buy and now I am laughing all the way to the bank on all the money I am saving compared to many who did buy!

NO.. I do not feel at all more superior by living in a high rise... I JUST LOVE THE KICK ASS VIEW !!!!!! Its all about the VIEW !!!!!!!! I travel a lot and have staying in many hotels on high floors with Views of the city and or Water view and I have ALWAYS enjoyed THE VIEWS. Most of the time I would pay extra to Upgrade to a high floor for a Better view. Its been a DREAM for a long time to 1) Live near the Ocean 2) live in a High Rise just like George Jetson ! I am happy to be able to Afford it and save so much money compared to owning the property!

BUT as a example.... IF you offered me the 12th floor of Marquis with a AWESOME VIEW OF THE 405 Freeway for FREE - I would PASS ON IT ( unless I could re-rent it to someone else or maybe let Snoop Doggy threw some wild parties there!!).. because living HIGH is only works for me if the VIEW IS GOOD !! I I don't want to see traffic on the 405 every day!! But the PACIFIC OCEAN !, The Hollywood Sign and the Lights of the LBC is worth every penny ! Of course other High rise dwellers may disagree with me ( especially all those people living in the Towering inferno who are counting Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz license rims on the 405 RIGHT NOW!!)

Also I do care a Lot about the people reading my posts, but when it comes to english my patience level is very low. I am used to writing my thoughts and someone else re-writing and correcting them for me ( If I had help like that in HS maybe I would gotten better grades). I am just a person who wants to focus on what I excell at and does not have the patience for items of less interest. But even with my 3rd grade grammar and spelling ( I got a B in English that year !!) I hope at least some people enjoyed my story and posts. I thank you for your comments

BTW, the HotPockets guy netted $2.6billion by selling his company to Nestle. Then donated $30 million to UCI to have the business school named after him. Merage.

everyone needs to LAY OFF the guy !!!!! tourette's of the FINGERS is no LAUGHING MATER. even with the LIGHTS and the VIEW i can see HOLYWOOD alright NOW !!!! and the OCEAN !!! and the OCEAN !!!! and the PACIFIC OCEAAAAAN !!!!!!! SNOOPY DOG PARTY HIGH TIME.

BUT ANYWAYS... life is good. HOLLA. excuse me. ok good bye.

<p>Omit needless words. Omit needless words. Omit needless words.</p>

<p>Strunk & White.</p>

<p>(Tanta doesn't like them.)</p>

<p>Seriously, I tend to read everyword $$$ will get more people to actually read what you have to say, if you say less of it. I couldn't read your posts.</p>

I enjoy your post(s). I used to be one of those people who transcribed and composed letters/emails for my boss. His English, written and spoken, wasn't great. In fact, it was horrible. This is a guy who got his B.S., M.S. and MBA in the US. That didn't stop him from running one of the most profitable western Pacific private equity groups during the 90s.

Nice touch there with the use of multiple exclamation marks. Don't mind if I borrow a couple and liven up the meeting minutes I should be working on instead of foruming.

<p>Saving,</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Enjoy the view while you are still single. When you start a family reality and practicality will limit your options.</p>

Be nice. Savinglots$$$Renting is a quick learner and has already figured out the use of paragraphs. He also knows that "a lot" is two words and not one.

I am a product of the "perfect" Irvine schools and I can't spell worth sh**. I'll blame my teachers. My mother saved my work from elementary school and you should see how appalling my spelling was. The teachers didn't bother correcting anything because they felt it would stifle creativity.

Back