Advice on a bird's nest

icey

Sorry this is kinda a noob question but some birds build a huge nest just under the roof.

I personally wouldn't care but they are pooping all over the place lol onto the house and onto a shared motorcourt, so making a mess. I am sure the neighbors are probably not happy about it but I'm not gonna hurt the birds or chase them out.

I am going to just let the birds chill there for a while and clean up the poop for a few weeks hoping they relocate somewhere else, then since I need the windows washed anyway will ask if they can remove the nest and power away the mess when the birds are done with the place (assuming they aren't trying to make it permanent).

Any other ideas? Has anyone been in this situation?

Are there baby birds in the nest?  The birds usually leave once the baby birds leave (about a month or so).  The nest is usually a temporary home to raise the baby birds.

if they are in the nest there are probably hatchlings, like you said, give it time and they will leave the nest once the hatchling is gone. we had something similar in the place we lived before. once the birds are gone, then you can take down the nest.

Pretty sure there are hatchlings in there so hoping that they are done with the nest once they grow all up. I was looking today and I think one of the parents didn't like it too much because they dive bombed over my head to chase me off lol.

I'll give it a few weeks and see if they move on.

Thanks everybody for all the responses, very much appreciated.

haha a bird tried to build a nest on top of my front door lol

i went to wallmart and bought a fake owl... it scared the birds away the next day, works like a charm...

I thought it was good feng shui to have birds build nests on your home.  I left the birds nest that was built under my roof, and the birds kept coming back year after year.  Finally I re-painted my house and the nest was taken down, and they never came back again.

good if its a swallow... not good if other type of bird (ie crows or what nots)... we dont have swallows in southern california haha

the thing with birds is thier shit is acidic... which can cause some damage to ur paint n stucco

If all the poop is dropping below the nest, lay out some newspaper or something and duct tape it to the ground to catch all the poop so you don't have to keep cleaning it up.

Perhaps later you could sell it as a Jackson Pollock painting. :p

Back