Adding a Loft, does it increase value?

icey

Okay this idea crossed my mind. First of all I LOVE my place and no plans of moving. But I got this flyer in the mail (this is ALWAYS a legit source of information right? lol).

Apparently one of my neighbors built what they described as a "loft" inside their condo. So they basically took the second floor and doubled the size of it, increasing their living space.

Let me explain the layout. This loft has a huge front wall to it. It's literally 3 stories high. I mean it's freakin huge. It's the best feature of this place. I have to use an 18 foot pole to open and close the blinds on the window up there. The painters came up with a very sketchy ladder configuration just to reach the top of it.

This is a wide open floor plan. To the rear of the condo is the bedroom that overlooks the floor below. I love this layout, so no plans on changing it, for myself, but wondering about the investment angle later on.

But let me ask you this, in the perfect world, and on the way out of selling this place in the very long term future, if I were to build something like this, does it magically change the livable square footage? Does my place go from 1400 sq. feet to 2000? And an extra bedroom? Is this what happens when people build "additions" to their house, or does it "not count" because it's not part of the original build? Or is it like "50%, sort of counts" because it's an addition?

This sounds rather corny to me but I can see this actually be appealing to a starter family who needs extra space for a young child, and doesn't want to go all the way up to some of the higher end places.

Apparently this owner had it approved by the HOA.

Also if you look at this place, it originally went online during the peak of the housing bubble, and it almost looks like a second floor could have been built there, but the market then was so soft, the builder had to change plans and scale back in order to offer lower spaced-units in order to move them. There are other units next to mine that have the 2000+ square feet, and I believe they were built into the exact same shell, just with more floors and walls inside of them.

My other issue would be making sure this was approved by a good engineer and not just some hack job. I wouldn't want it affecting other units or the rest of the space inside.

What do you guys think?

If the cost of the addition is less than $250/sf then it makes a lot of sense to do it.  The key like you said is to get a good contractor and structural engineer and architect to help build it out for you.

icey said:
Okay this idea crossed my mind. First of all I LOVE my place and no plans of moving. But I got this flyer in the mail (this is ALWAYS a legit source of information right? lol).

Apparently one of my neighbors built what they described as a "loft" inside their condo. So they basically took the second floor and doubled the size of it, increasing their living space.

Let me explain the layout. This loft has a huge front wall to it. It's literally 3 stories high. I mean it's freakin huge. It's the best feature of this place. I have to use an 18 foot pole to open and close the blinds on the window up there. The painters came up with a very sketchy ladder configuration just to reach the top of it.

This is a wide open floor plan. To the rear of the condo is the bedroom that overlooks the floor below. I love this layout, so no plans on changing it, for myself, but wondering about the investment angle later on.

But let me ask you this, in the perfect world, and on the way out of selling this place in the very long term future, if I were to build something like this, does it magically change the livable square footage? Does my place go from 1400 sq. feet to 2000? And an extra bedroom? Is this what happens when people build "additions" to their house, or does it "not count" because it's not part of the original build? Or is it like "50%, sort of counts" because it's an addition?

This sounds rather corny to me but I can see this actually be appealing to a starter family who needs extra space for a young child, and doesn't want to go all the way up to some of the higher end places.

Apparently this owner had it approved by the HOA.

Also if you look at this place, it originally went online during the peak of the housing bubble, and it almost looks like a second floor could have been built there, but the market then was so soft, the builder had to change plans and scale back in order to offer lower spaced-units in order to move them. There are other units next to mine that have the 2000+ square feet, and I believe they were built into the exact same shell, just with more floors and walls inside of them.

My other issue would be making sure this was approved by a good engineer and not just some hack job. I wouldn't want it affecting other units or the rest of the space inside.

What do you guys think?

It increases the sq footage but I'm not sure u will get to count it as a bedroom.

My daughter bought a place in Rancho Bernardo right close to the bottom of the market when houses weren't selling so well and went with the one that had an after market loft built over the dining room. Looks like it was always supposed to be there. When it was listed it included that sq footage.

Thanks everyone for the information! I followed your link and even more good information there. Loftcrafters seems to have a ton of experience with this, and their end product sounds like ready2downsize's daughter's experience with it looking like it was always supposed to be there. So definitely not a hack job !

Loftcrafters says their services run 15-25K, depending on the job. That seems like a steal for this type of work. I can see using the space to cover the property's weaknesses, such as lack of closet space, and second room with increased privacy.

Back