Above garage storage

Yeah, don't think it can go any lower.. pic above.. it is about an inch above frame of side door.. I would start to feel claustrophobic if it's any lower. :)

ps9 said:
gonna pick these up per the installer's recommendation.. flat bungee cord straps for earthquake safety..
http://www.lowes.com/pd_98131-37340-1FS460_0__?productId=3048117http://www.lowes.com/pd_99205-37340-1FS9120_0__?productId=3048650

24" fits the short side of rack and 48" cord goes on the long side..
That's a good idea... probably have to buy two for each side for the lower tier and the upper tier of storage bins.

How was the service with your installer? I really like our guy because he was very helpful in telling us where we should put them and he even installed some bike hooks on our ceiling for me (in addition to the ones we bought to go with the racks).

I totally agree about the claustrophobia... that's why we had ours split into two sides.

The amount of storage space it adds to your garage is amazing... I should have done this YEARS ago (but I guess I was still dreaming about my 3CWG).

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
gonna pick these up per the installer's recommendation.. flat bungee cord straps for earthquake safety..
http://www.lowes.com/pd_98131-37340-1FS460_0__?productId=3048117http://www.lowes.com/pd_99205-37340-1FS9120_0__?productId=3048650

24" fits the short side of rack and 48" cord goes on the long side..
That's a good idea... probably have to buy two for each side for the lower tier and the upper tier of storage bins.

How was the service with your installer? I really like our guy because he was very helpful in telling us where we should put them and he even installed some bike hooks on our ceiling for me (in addition to the ones we bought to go with the racks).

I totally agree about the claustrophobia... that's why we had ours split into two sides.

The amount of storage space it adds to your garage is amazing... I should have done this YEARS ago (but I guess I was still dreaming about my 3CWG).

Craig is the owner/installer/designer of these racks.. He was friendly.. but I did have to tell him to spackle the holes left in my friend's garage after he was done taking them down (friend wasn't home).  Slight B.O. issue but it wasn't in confined spaces :).. He did tend to bash some of the other "600 lbs only" racks.. Said the market is flooded with inferior products... Vendors cutting corners by reducing the amount of steel in the supports, etc.  He said he has installed over 9000 racks and not a single one has come down....

Hopefully it's true..

Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

So should I do saferack or topprax? Can you hang bikes on the undersurface of the racks? I've got 4 adult bikes and 2 kid bikes cluttering my garage.

sadly enough due to the sprinkler placements in my garage, I can't get a good configuration going to install these without interfering with the sprinklers.  Make sure you guys take that into consideration as well

Costco said:
Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

So should I do saferack or topprax? Can you hang bikes on the undersurface of the racks? I've got 4 adult bikes and 2 kid bikes cluttering my garage.
I would recommend either but Topp Rax seems to have better construction. If I were to do it again, I would pay the extra for Topp Rax.

At Saratoga the garages fit two cars like a glove. There's no space for overhead storage nor for shelving units on the sides or back of the garage. :(

Craig designed the racks and also do the installs.. not sure if he's a one man operation though.. No referral program I'm aware of...

Speaking of garage racks.. anyone have feedback on getting an opener mounted on the side wall of the garage versus smack dab in the middle?  I can possibly add more storage space by ways of a third rack

At Saratoga the opener is side-mounted, but it yields no ceiling space because the garage door is just a few inches lower when it's open.

If you have some space above your open garage door, I'd totally put install storage racks up there.

With the extinction of 3CWGs, above garage storage racks are a must.

We really like ours, and next time we will also go with ToppRaxx.

@NQ/TD:

What is the height of your ceiling? Seems like the newer homes have shorter garages... even the older homes I am looking at seem shorter... mine are 9ft I think.

So do people mostly use Topprax for overhead garage storage?
Has anybody used Premier Garage's overhead storage?

Any other cost effective solutions?

Thanks!

whome said:

Thanks!

Throw all your shit away?

qwerty said:
whome said:

Thanks!

Throw all your shit away?

haha..I want these basically to store our suitcases/luggage.

Are most Topprax buyers happy with their purchase? I noticed in his videos he shows the Costco installed brand which hangs in the middle of the garage, and when he grabs it and shakes it of course it will move that way. When he later shows the one he has installed, it is bolted to the side of the wall so when he tries to shake it, nothing. Seemed a bit misleading there.

Otherwise his product looks solid and I am looking to install some kind of garage storage space system in the next few months.

Back