A Lil trivia about avocados for you.. rop

GraceOMalley_IHB

Ok so, we have a big avocado tree that has been much discussed on IHB... I have to mention something... avocados do not become ripe until they are PICKED.

Hence the ones on my tree the size of nerf footballs and harder than softballs. Yes, they are rock hard and will give you a black eye should one hit you in the face however once picked; should you put them in a nice paper bag, they will ripen within a day or 2.. or on the outset.. 3.

Common sense people, do you honestly think Id try to pwn off over ripe fruit to you? BITE YOUR TONGUES. I have much better manners than that

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250757213]Ok so, we have a big avocado tree that has been much discussed on IHB... I have to mention something... avocados do not become ripe until they are PICKED.

Hence the ones on my tree the size of nerf footballs and harder than softballs. Yes, they are rock hard and will give you a black eye should one hit you in the face however once picked; should you put them in a nice paper bag, they will ripen within a day or 2.. or on the outset.. 3.

Common sense people, do you honestly think Id try to pwn off over ripe fruit to you? BITE YOUR TONGUES. I have much better manners than that</blockquote>

I dunno. Why is your cat wearing a helmut if you have not been throwing those nerf avocados around?

I must have picked ones that weren't ready. I've had them in a paper bag since Sunday and they aren't ripe yet. I even added a tomato and an apple (the intarweb told me to).

I needed to start when it was light and use the picker stick thingie to find the good ones. :)

[quote author="caycifish" date=1250776426]I must have picked ones that weren't ready. I've had them in a paper bag since Sunday and they aren't ripe yet. I even added a tomato and an apple (the intarweb told me to).

I needed to start when it was light and use the picker stick thingie to find the good ones. :)</blockquote>

I agree... We need a second round of avocado picking under the following restrictions:

1. Picking in daylight.

2. Use of the picker stick thingie.

3. More picking by me, who kinda knows about the ripeness of fruit, yes... avocados are a fruit.

4. More picking by me, the taller one, so the shorter one isn't standing on a chair to climb the tree to bring it down to them and everyone around her.

5. Wine/beer consumption happens after said picking.

[quote author="awgee" date=1250771941][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250757213]Ok so, we have a big avocado tree that has been much discussed on IHB... I have to mention something... avocados do not become ripe until they are PICKED.

Common sense people, do you honestly think Id try to pwn off over ripe fruit to you? BITE YOUR TONGUES. I have much better manners than that</blockquote>

I dunno. Why is your cat wearing a helmut if you have not been throwing those nerf avocados around?</blockquote>

Its not a helmet. Its a LIME. LOL

[quote author="graphrix" date=1250782949][quote author="caycifish" date=1250776426]I must have picked ones that weren't ready. I've had them in a paper bag since Sunday and they aren't ripe yet. I even added a tomato and an apple (the intarweb told me to).

I needed to start when it was light and use the picker stick thingie to find the good ones. :)</blockquote>

I agree... We need a second round of avocado picking under the following restrictions:

1. Picking in daylight.

2. Use of the picker stick thingie.

3. More picking by me, who kinda knows about the ripeness of fruit, yes... avocados are a fruit.

4. More picking by me, the taller one, so the shorter one isn't standing on a chair to climb the tree to bring it down to them and everyone around her.

5. Wine/beer consumption happens after said picking.</blockquote>

I <strong>KNEW</strong> we were doing it rong.

We all learned from making mistakes. We need a beer nazi by the beer igloo next time.

1) Form a single line

2) 3 avocados with stems at hand

3) Hand avocados to Nazi for inspection

4) Then move to the left one step only

5) Nazi snap off stems

6) IHBer then accept a beer with both hands

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250813362][quote author="awgee" date=1250771941][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250757213]Ok so, we have a big avocado tree that has been much discussed on IHB... I have to mention something... avocados do not become ripe until they are PICKED.

I dunno. Why is your cat wearing a helmut if you have not been throwing those nerf avocados around?</blockquote>

Its not a helmet. Its a LIME. LOL</blockquote>

That is a lime? Or a limongous? Either that came from the biggest lime in the world or that cat's head has been shrunk and is the size of, well ... the size of a lime.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1250818764]We all learned from making mistakes. We need a beer nazi by the beer igloo next time.

1) Form a single line

2) 3 avocados with stems at hand

3) Hand avocados to Nazi for inspection

4) Then move to the left one step only

5) Nazi snap off stems

6) IHBer then accept a beer with both hands</blockquote>

I think we needed a Nazi at the wine table, too. :)

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250813362][quote author="awgee" date=1250771941][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250757213]Ok so, we have a big avocado tree that has been much discussed on IHB... I have to mention something... avocados do not become ripe until they are PICKED.

Its not a helmet. Its a LIME. LOL</blockquote>

For some reason I always thought it was a tennis ball!

Based on the link to the article posted on the other thread, Grace should hold on to the avocados (or let the tree hold on to them), until they become "estate reserve" and then sell them to people for a higher price. How do you measure oil content of the avocado?

The oil content is measured by taking a core sample, and doing a lab analysis. There are spectral technique out there too, for example, with the use of NIR. Here is an abstract from a paper out there... don't ask me about the detail of Soxhlet extraction technique or the type of refractmeter used in the lab, since I am as clueless as most of you.

<blockquote>The oil content of avocado mesocarp

Charles E. Lewis, Ronald Morris, Kenneth O'Brien

New South Wales Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Centre, Wollongbar, NSW 2480, Australia

Abstract

Four methods of analysing for oil content of avocados are compared (three with gravimetric measurements): (a) Soxhlet extraction with petroleum ether, (b) homogenisation with petroleum ether, (c) homogenisation with a 2:1 (by volume) choroform/methanol solution, and one with refractmetric measurement, i.e. (d) ball milling with 1-chloronaphthalene. Conditions for Soxhlet extraction were optimised. Methods (a) and (b) gave similar results which were 6-9 % lower than those of methods (c) and (d) which were similar to each other. Saponification of the residues from methods (a)-(c) confirmed that method (c) removed more oil than methods (a) and (b) but also showed that even method (c) left some residual oil in the fruit tissues. Results are interpreted in terms of glycolipids and phospholipids remaining after extraction of triglyceride storage fractions by petroleum ether. All methods used were applicable to hard (unripe) and soft (ripe) fruits. </blockquote>

As you can tell, agricultural science has gone too far ;)

Back