A good water softener company??

Ok my vetting is done.  I met with a couple of vendors and researched more online.

I was debating between salt-free and salt water softeners.  After much research it seems that salt-free ones tends to run into trouble during the REGEN process and has caused a lot of problems for people who get them.  REGEN does take extra water to flush out the system.  About 30 gallons for every 1500 gallons of softened water, give or take a few hundred gallons.

We looked into Waterboy Salt-free and Life Source Salt-Free but there seems to be a lot of mixed, confusing, and info on their systems.  There's even people saying that vendors sell fake salt-free systems.  I decided not to take a risk and have concluded that customer service is my priority when it comes to my water softener.

I heard horror stories of people's laundry room being totaled because the water softener messed up the processing of water in the washer and caused water to damage all the flooring in the house.  I've decided that is NOT a risk I am willing to take.  I'd rather spend the extra money here and get a reputable company that will service their tanks and parts.  Rayne has excellent warranty on their systems ... ask recommend by Lucky on TI.

I chose to go with Rayne's Salt-based softener + conditioner ... as 2 separate tanks.  Customer service as Rayne has been great and the ability to rent for 3 months really helps ... after the 3 months we can then decide to continue to rent or pay the pro-rated amount to own.

I did consider 3M and they were very competitive and less than Rayne.  Rep was great too with great service.  But 3M doesn't offer the softener + conditioner as 2 separate tank units. 

Irvine Water Company doesn't use chlorine in their systems anymore.  They use chloramine (chlorine + ammonia).  After much research online the only carbon-based system that has a chance at removing chloramine is a GAC (granulated active carbon) filter.  It turns out the coconut shell carbon filter from Rayne is a GAC so it can do a pretty decent job cleaning out chlorine or chloramine.  Plus the coconut shells makes the water taste sweet AND it's much cheaper to replace than a regular carbon filter.

The old 80's and 90's water conditioners all have coconut shells as their carbon filter because that was the technology back then.  Now there's more refined carbon filters out there but it's also more costly to replace.

For our water softener tank we've decided to mix half salt + potassium to get the added health effects.  Salt or Potassium removes all calcium and magnesium in the water.  So with a half and half system, we can drink the water from any tap in our house + it's safe enough to water the plants in our garden.  If it's all salt it is not recommended to water plants with the water.  I would use all potassium but I can't afford that every month.

I am debating whether or not to go with 3M for our Reverse Osmosis system.  We discovered our Caesarstone countertop is not drilled for a reverse osmosis faucet so we may need professional installation for that.

So that's my vetting process and if you are interested in Rayne water too, ask for Carlos.  He's the lead tech at Rayne.  He knows a lot about softeners and conditioners.

I have friends who buy water softeners from other companies and have a plumber install it too.  But the rent to own option at Rayne really earn our confidence and business.

ZeroLot said:
I am debating whether or not to go with 3M for our Reverse Osmosis system.  We discovered our Caesarstone countertop is not drilled for a reverse osmosis faucet so we may need professional installation for that.

I had the plumber remove the air switch used to activate the garbage disposal and install the RO faucet in its place.  I got one of these to activate the garbage disposal:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Scrappy-MSS-50-Disposer-Wireless/dp/B000JQL8XS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1393974546&sr=8-7&keywords=garbage+disposal+remote

Works pretty well, and i avoid the risk of something going wrong drilling into the countertop.

Was just going to do frig water but wifey uses the water boiler often and I hate that calcium build up.  Might have to install RO system after all.

Hey ZeroLot,

How much is your ideal water softener gonna set you back? How much is it to rent? I am really leaning towards getting one. Need your expertise when I move in about what to pick :D Thanks.

Chairman said:
Hey ZeroLot,

How much is your ideal water softener gonna set you back? How much is it to rent? I am really leaning towards getting one. Need your expertise when I move in about what to pick :D Thanks.

My ideal water system is a water softener + water conditioner as two separate units.  The water softener is around $40/month for a 1" valve.  Marigold has 1" water valves ... which saved us a lot of money.

The custom GAC (granulated active carbon) water conditioner we have to buy because it's a custom unit.  Most companies don't offer them as two separate units.  Most offer the carbon filter BUILT INTO the water softener.  But the carbon filter tends to need replacement sooner and that would cost $600 alone to replace.  But since we are buying a coconut shell water conditioner, it will only cost us $150 to replace. 

So savings wise it all equals out.

I like the water conditioner because we may not need an RO system if all works out.  Plus we can have safe drinking water out of any faucet in the house.  The water conditioner from Rayne is less than a grand.  Not too bad.

Our fridge will have an additional filter so I think we're pretty set for now.  I may revisit the RO later when we have more money.

Water conditioner is really optional for most.  But since the baby and I both have a history of really bad eczema, we have to invest in this unit.  We may need an RO system if the water still contains containments when we make her the bottle.

3M offers free in-home consultation with a water test.  Really cool stuff.  In addition if you buy an RO from 3M, you get free water tests whenever you think your water tastes funny.  They will diagnose for you to see what the problem is.  My contact from 3M is Lisa.  She's the service rep for the Irvine area.

Chairman said:
Is your water treatment system set up yet? I need to see this awesome system you end up getting :)

Not yet, we can't set up water treatment until the washer and dryer are put in.  It's about the connections/hook-ups.  Our appliances delivery got pushed back ... uggggh ... so now we have to wait another week to install the water treatment.

I ended up paying a little less than $5000 for my system back in 2010 from a company called Puretech in Irvine.  I know EXPENSIVE!!!  I've been pretty happy with it though.  My system includes the filter tank, salt tank, and the reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink.  They come out and install it to the main water line.  The installation is custom as every house differs.  When I bought my house I had IP install a power outlet near the corner of the garage so I didn't have to run the power cable across the garage.  Also the cool thing about the new homes is the water drain pipe is located directly above the water system so no need to mount PVC pipes all over the garage.  The drain pipe is goes from the garage ceiling directly to the laundry washer drain outlet.

I just recently moved to Cypress Village so I had to uninstall the system at my old house and install it in my new house.  That was a big hassle and also expensive.  If you plan to stay in your house for over 10 years though, I think it's worth it.

I'm going to necro this thread because I keep hearing ads for LifeSource as a water softener/purifier company that's no-salt and no-maintenance.

Is it really true? I've watched the videos and I'm not sure how they can be better than RO type systems.

Also, aren't salt systems banned in Irvine?

(i know there are other threads about this, but this is the only one that mentioned LifeSource)

Salt systems in Irvine are frowned upon, but not banned.

I believe a saltless system is a water conditioner. It doesn't actually remove the calcium though so you still get water spots. I moved into a home that had a conditioner but it didn't cut it. So we spent another $1,800 to get a water softener installed. Now in my garage is a brine tank, softener, and conditioner. The water guy said my tap water is now incredibly clean and soft.

For those with water softeners, does softened water (that doesn't go through an RO system) taste salty (even a little bit)?

Also, has anyone gone the route of buying a system themselves (through Amazon or another online seller) and paying separate for installation with a plumber? If so, how much was plumbing cost (I understand it can vary wildly depending on your setup)?

hurijo said:
For those with water softeners, does softened water (that doesn't go through an RO system) taste salty (even a little bit)?

Nope, we have a whole house carbon filter, softener, and RO in the kitchen for counter spout and fridge.

hurijo said:

Also, has anyone gone the route of buying a system themselves (through Amazon or another online seller) and paying separate for installation with a plumber? If so, how much was plumbing cost (I understand it can vary wildly depending on your setup)?

Not salty at all.  The salt is used to recharge the resin that swaps the ions, which is thoroughly rinsed prior to the tap water touching it. 
A lot of plumbers will react to what you are suggesting similar to how a restaurant might act if you brought in your own piece of meat for them to cook for your dinner.  They may tell you to get lost.  They may charge you extra.  They may refuse to provide any warranty. 
If access is not a problem and the incoming water line is nearby, it's not a hard thing to do.

Back