A disturbance in the force

daedalus

Posting this here, as there is no "outside OC RE" forum.  I scan redfin daily just to keep tabs on a couple of very small areas I have a particular interest in within LA county.  In any given week, I might see 1 or 2 new listings pop up.  Today there were 6.  To put that in perspective, there are 18 SFRs for sale total; 1/3rd of that came on the market today.  Granted this is a small sampling population.  Any similar bump in activity that you're aware of?

As a side note, a few weeks ago I had reason to chuckle a bit and thought to myself, "That's it; this bubble is over".  A house that was for sale (standard) closed on Friday (5/15) at just over $450k.  On Tuesday  (5/19) the same house went back on the market at just under $550k.  You will be challenged to find a more raw flip than this.  The listing went into escrow within 2 weeks.  The flipper might barely have any carrying costs and is looking to make ~80% ROI in maybe 6 weeks.

I am guessing the house was a short sale so the new owner might have waited up to 6 months to close the property.  If it was a SS, there are additional costs that may not be reflected in the price (HOA delinquent fees, extra commission, cash back to seller, etc). 

I don't believe it was a short sale, according to daedalus...
daedalus said:
A house that was for sale (standard) closed on Friday (5/15) at just over $450k.

I've seen a couple of these recently here in Irvine, as well, but none so egregious.  Nice find. And something to keep a pulse on, definitely.

-IR2

Looks like the house Diane Keaton bought for $7.5 Million in 2004. I think she restored it and sold it in 2005 for over for over $14Million.

IrvineRealtor said:
I don't believe it was a short sale, according to daedalus...
daedalus said:
A house that was for sale (standard) closed on Friday (5/15) at just over $450k.

I've seen a couple of these recently here in Irvine, as well, but none so egregious.  Nice find. And something to keep a pulse on, definitely.

-IR2

Ah, I missed reading the standard sale.  The original seller got robbed.  Daedalus, can you post the link for our amusement?

Soylent Green Is People said:
How about this:

2012 purchase at $8m.
2015 listing at $17.99m

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/989-Cliff-Dr-92651/home/3261603

3m per year in appreciation? Perhaps $3m per year in "upgrades"? Hard to tell with only 10 photos. That's quite a bit of work posting a 10 picture portfolio and a couple of paragraphs for 3pct commish, don't you think?

My .02c
Beautiful house without about as unique of a location as it gets. 

Back