99 Ranch Markets are no longer Old School in Irvine.

bkshopr_IHB

My spouse has been sick from her flu and cough endlessly. I went by to 99 Ranch this morning to find some Chinese medicinal tea a typically stocked item. I found that both 99 Ranch markets no longer stocked Chinese soup ingredients and medicinal tea. Since I have not been to both markets for about 2 years I was terribly disappointed in both prices (almost double for most items compared to Monterey Park and Westminster) and the limited varieties of groceries there.

Certainly their customer demographic are 1.5 and greater and the need to eliminate the authentic items for more snack shelves. I am disappointed to see both markets are becoming more Americanized and lost much of their unique identity. For the grand parents generation they will demand their kids to drive them for dim sum in Monterey Park once a month and also to stock up on real hardcore Chinese groceries.

I hope Mrs. Bk gets well soon!

If it's any consolation, the Ralph's in Woodbury Town Center does not carry several American products I have been buying for decades but seems to have an expansive Asian food selection. Go figure!

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1246323093]My spouse has been sick from her flu and cough endlessly. I went by to 99 Ranch this morning to find some Chinese medicinal tea a typically stocked item. I found that both 99 Ranch markets no longer stocked Chinese soup ingredients and medicinal tea. Since I have not been to both markets for about 2 years I was terribly disappointed in both prices (almost double for most items compared to Monterey Park and Westminster) and the limited varieties of groceries there.

Certainly their customer demographic are 1.5 and greater and the need to eliminate the authentic items for more snack shelves. I am disappointed to see both markets are becoming more Americanized and lost much of their unique identity. For the grand parents generation they will demand their kids to drive them for dim sum in Monterey Park once a month and also to stock up on real hardcore Chinese groceries.</blockquote>

Hi BK,

Just drive across the street from Ranch 99 @ Jeffery & 5 FWY. Between the bookstore and Ban Mu Yuan, there's a Chinese herbal shop that should carry what you need. They also have a traditional medicine doctor avail. The owner is really nice and she's been there for like 14 years. Ask her for the pre-made chicken soup herb package, it's only $5. Put it in a pot with a Cornish hen, add some dried mushrooms, and cook for 4-5 hours before serving.

You could also try TS Emporium in Rowland Heights.

I was cooking Cantonese style chicken soup the other day and couldn't find don-gue and hong tsow at Ranch 99. They only carry those pre-packaged stuff which isn't always fresh. Many dried Chinese medicinal herbs only have shelf life of few months, and should be kept in freezer for storage. Go to the herb shop I mentioned in Arbor and you'll see them store pre-made herbal packages in the freezer by the door.

99 Ranch does carry red jujube (hong tsow). It's in the freezer. I just saw them today in the new 99 Ranch (walnut). Many selections.

People, people ... I'm breaking my "no posting from work" rule to <em>urge</em> you to visit your healthcare provider (if you are lucky enough to have one) and get yourself tested for H1N1 virus (aka "swine flu" or "new flu"), which is still running around. They locked down OC Men's Central Jail today because of an outbreak of H1N1 over the weekend. If you do not have a healthcare provider and have come down with the flu, please call the<a href="http://www.ochealthinfo.com/"> County Health Department </a>for suggestions on what you should do (assuming layoffs haven't taken too big a hit and they have people available to speak to you).

<a href="http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance_homecare_directions.htm">The CDC's guide for care of H1N1 virus.</a>

My wife is still sick from the flu I posted at the beginning of this thread and I am just getting over it. It was bad.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1248757951]My wife is still sick from the flu I posted at the beginning of this thread and I am just getting over it. It was bad.</blockquote>

Can I come drop off some dinner for you to help out?

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1248760588][quote author="bkshopr" date=1248757951]My wife is still sick from the flu I posted at the beginning of this thread and I am just getting over it. It was bad.</blockquote>

Can I come drop off some dinner for you to help out?</blockquote>

You are very kind. We do not want to pass it to you. I have never caught a flu during the summer. With the heat it has been unbearable. Since we live in SA it may be related to Swine?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1248757951]My wife is still sick from the flu I posted at the beginning of this thread and I am just getting over it. It was bad.</blockquote>

A whole month!!! Is she seeing improvement? I'm very sorry to hear this. It's sounds awful. Has she gone to get Xrays of her lungs? I came down with an influenza when I was 18 that lasted over a month. After the flu symptoms subsided I was unaware for about two weeks that I developed pneumonia due to the severity of the flu. I don't mean to be the alarmist but I learn the hard way that bad flu's shouldn't be taken lightly. Please keep us posted...

Oh... I hadn't realized. This thread was new to me, so I didn't even look at the date. I'm sorry you both came down with that.

What we caught was serious enough to knock my wife out for a month and me for over 2 weeks. I have always thought summer is not a high risk flu season so I was wrong. Please take every precaution to wash your hands.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1248779530]What we caught was serious enough to knock my wife out for a month and me for over 2 weeks. I have always thought summer is not a high risk flu season so I was wrong. Please take every precaution to wash your hands.</blockquote>

After eating at the "all u can eat" buffet. The very next day, I got the symptoms of the flu. I suppose all those people packed in one place, touching the food and sneezing really did it.

But unlike the typical winter flu which had stages: runny nose, headache, body ache, diarrhea. Then it goes away. This flu was a strange one. It didn't go through the usual stages. It just lingers. I was walking around for over a week in a daze. Similar to a drunk.

Anyways, my Dr. gave me some antibiotics. And it finally went away.

[quote author="momopi" date=1252651949]Is it my imagination, or is the fruits at Ranch 99 looking worse these days?</blockquote>

HK and Zion stole many of its patrons. 99 Ranch needs to modify and reduce its produce inventory to adjust to its declined patronage.

99 Ranch has a deal with Sam Woo. Sam Woo uses up expired vegatable and oranges from Sam Woo but Sam Woo does not need the other fruit varieties.

can this flu "repeat" or is it the type of "once you get it, you are done with it?" so sorry to hear how long it lingered!

You all need to shop super irvine for produce. It is EXCELLENT. Great turnover. Prices are very good. Specials are killer. EVERY nationality shops there. Price and quality bring them in.

I know I am going to regret suggesting it, b/c it is already packed a lot. But if you have not been there, bring your shopping list and compare the prices and be ready to buy some really nice produce.

The butchers are excellent too.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252657777]Not to worry. I get my fresh produce from Pedro conveniently located at most SA off ramps.</blockquote>
The best oranges I've had were off-ramp oranges.

Back